Adult Beverages

We got hit with a drink in souvenir at the buffet we were at as we boarded the ship the first day. Waiter was walking around with a tray of drinks and asked if we wanted one. It was my first cruise so I said sure give me two. I thought they were free or cheap. The "glass" was plastic and about $8.50 for each. I hoped it was crammed with alcohol for $8.50. Nope not even a little buzz off that sorry rip off drink. I will be better prepared next time (6 days away!). Thanks

My tip about that... if you don't think there's enough "umph" in your drink... ask the bartender to hit your drink a bit more... always works for me...

I never thought the drink/beer prices were out of line! They're cheaper than in most bars in No. Va.!!!!

Considering the food is part of the cost of the cruise, buying only drinks isn't such a hardship!

Perhaps true, but when home I believe most people only party once in a while at their local bar whereas when on a cruise they seem to party every night. On a 7-14 day cruise this can result in a very significant bar bill.

Thats very true Jimmers. Why not have a drink special or an alcohol card like the coke card? The better people feel on board the more money they are likely to spend. I know if I am having a great time in a bar the drinks fly around to everyone around me.

Perhaps true, but when home I believe most people only party once in a while at their local bar whereas when on a cruise they seem to party every night. On a 7-14 day cruise this can result in a very significant bar bill.

I don't know if I could drink and party as I do on a 3, 4, or 5 Nighter, on a 7 Night + (never done a 6 Night). If I close the Schooner Bar every night and rise every morning at 7 or 8 (we are late sleepers and early risers on cruises) I think I nail myself a coffin out of the deck wood. :D

In my case my drink bill would not be much higher since I settle into a more living mode on longer cruises. I treat it more like I would be home with a little more alcohol. :)

Funny, Bill!

Actually, my memory so often sucks, but if I can hang it on a specific event, or series of events, it usually works better.

Cruise #1: 8/2002, Explorer, 7 day eastern Caribbean, Cabin 7688. Drink card available.

Cruise #2: 12/2003, Explorer, 7 day eastern Caribbean, Cabin 7688. No drink card available.

I bought a drink card 6/2003 so it must have ended shortly after that. booo :cool:

Thats very true Jimmers. Why not have a drink special or an alcohol card like the coke card? The better people feel on board the more money they are likely to spend. I know if I am having a great time in a bar the drinks fly around to everyone around me.

Don't know how a card for alcohol could work. They'd have to have a way to prevent people from sharing it.

I suppose if you like to drink there's no getting around a big bar bill at the end. Just have to consider it a sin tax.

Remember, there's no telling when those drinks were made during boarding. The waiter is walking around with the tray in the hot sun. All you have is a watered down concoction. You're better off going to the bar and getting one yourself.

I can't speak for boarding drinks - I walk right past those guys - but usually when they are walking around with trays, there is no alcohol in them at all. When you pay for your drink, they pull out a bottle and add it. That way, they can sell virgin drinks from the same tray. They can also be extra generous, if they like you. ;)

Archived