Carnival's new karaoke policy...

terri910

Is there someway you can blow up the size of your picture. My wife says I'm going to hurt my eyes squinting trying too see you in that 2 piece. She tells me I'm like a dog chasing a car. I'm too old and slow to catch it, and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Just having fun. Thanks for the response. There are some really mediocre performers in the shows and lounges that call themselves professionals. Carnival actually does a pretty good job hiring good people, but it has to be tough to get people to sign on to sail around for a year or longer, live in small quarters, work every day, be away from friends and family for extended periods of time, and be talented. Fortunately for us, there are people that have a passion for performing, and take these jobs to do what they love. Wish I was younger. I'd love to have a second chance to take a shot at it. To this day, I love the adrenaline rush I get when I'm in front of an audience. Weird, huh?

Just for clarification...it is obx fintoo in the two piece...not me!!! :eek:

Me in a two piece is not a sight anyone wants to see!!! ;)

LOL! Thanks for the compliment. Since I just turned a year older (2 since that pic) it made my day! But no, sorry, that's the only size I'll post! :) LHP aka Karaoke Queen - don't sell yourself short! :cool:

And point well taken about the performers. I have seen my share of the talented ones out there and fortunately the not so great ones have been a minimum!

Someone gave you false info involving CAVS. It plays CDG's as well as the SCD'S it was designed for. The reverse is not possible. SCDG's have to be run on CAV machines. I run CDG's on my CAV all the time. CAV USA can be downloaded from the CD, put into a text file, converted to an EXCEL document, sorted andprinted. Many of the SCDG's contain over 1200 songs. Problem is, scratch a disc and you're screwed. They have a more advanced system that will load the disc on a hard drive, problem solved. Those players run about $2000, but I think Carnival can afford it. They had CAV on the Freedom, but the host didn't even know what it was. All she had was CDG's to play.

CAV constantly puts out new discs that carry as few as a couple hundred songs up to 1234. I believe they even have a monthly update of hits available. Some karaoke purists think the quality of the music is sub-standard to other brands, but it's a very objective issue.

Carnival would be wise to equip all of its vessels with the top end CAV, or similar Jukebox equipment, and standardize the ships on one format.Continue to play the participant's CDG's and make for a better karaoke experience company wide. Hire me and I'll advise them how to accomplish it. Running karaoke for the fleet they have should be a full time job. I'm not sure 1 person could accomplist it. Whoever is doing it now sure doesn't know how to get the job done.

The next host you have that tells you they can't play CDG's on CAV, ask them to at least stick it in and try. And no, it would screw up the equipment.

The CAVS JB-199 plays CDGs? really? Mine loads from my compute with no external CD drive... Do you have a custom model perhaps?

Maybe you are referring to the older, outdated JB-99 with the triple CD player on it.

The CAVS JB-199 plays CDGs? really? Mine loads from my compute with no external CD drive... Do you have a custom model perhaps?

Maybe you are referring to the older, outdated JB-99 with the triple CD player on it.

I have a question...if it downloads from your computer...does than mean you can purchase karaoke songs online and add to your listing???

LOL! Thanks for the compliment. Since I just turned a year older (2 since that pic) it made my day! But no, sorry, that's the only size I'll post! :) LHP aka Karaoke Queen - don't sell yourself short! :cool:

And point well taken about the performers. I have seen my share of the talented ones out there and fortunately the not so great ones have been a minimum!

Ah, yes! But don't we remember the days when our skin and other parts of us didn't hang.

I have a question...if it downloads from your computer...does than mean you can purchase karaoke songs online and add to your listing???

ywes you can do that or do as I do and buy SoundChoice CDGs and load them up from my computer to the CAVS unit...

No, I actually have the CAV203G-USB, that plays CDG's. I do not have the JB199. Ihave been considering a Jukebox system. I went to the stack of literature for the different systems that I've been looking at, and it was he Acesonic KOD-800 that was the only system available capable of downloading the disc directly from the tray, not the CAVS. I stand correted. However, I don't remember what model they ran on the Freedom, but all the host had in the collection was CDG's. I played a couple of SCDG's that I brought, and they played just fine on the ship's CAV equipment. The host was flabergasted when she saw the Partypack disc I brought that contained 1234 songs. The main reason I got the CAVS was to expand my collection tremendously for a relatively cheap investment in discs. The way the industry seems to by shifting to laptops with a ton of downloads, the CAV unit seemed like a cheap way to supplement my existing system before deciding whether to go to a Jukebox or computer system. Sorry for any confusion I might have created. How do you like your JB199? Any complaints? I've only recently started looking to convert. Any suggestions or ideas is appreciated.

Given my high tonal quality singing voice... I decided to stick to the VoicePro Gig Man.

Geat box for the price and for the family Karaoke singer (windows closed, of course :o ).

I have the VocoPro (Bravo) for practicing and small venues like Nursing Homes. It does pretty well for an all in one and it does cassettes too because a lot of my gospel song collection are on cassettes!!

ywes you can do that or do as I do and buy SoundChoice CDGs and load them up from my computer to the CAVS unit...

Thanks...if the selection is poor...we may have to make some "contributions" to Carnival's list!!! :D Hubby is going to have his laptop with him!!!

I always thought the same thing but am constantly amazed at the number of folks who come to listen to karaoke.

On the Victory a couple of months ago, we packed out the 300 seat Aft lounge for several hours with karaoke while Peter (Piano Bar~excellent) and Steve (soloist~excellent) sat with no one in there. Even the Asian band was not as crowded as we were in karaoke. Go figure??

How many times have you seen a train go through a normal intersection/station and get any coverage?

It's the "train wreck TV" mentality that would make me listen to Karaoke! And many others too obviously!

How many times have you seen a train go through a normal intersection/station and get any coverage?

It's the "train wreck TV" mentality that would make me listen to Karaoke! And many others too obviously!

Thankfully, most people are just in there to have a good time...period.

Now it's time for me to laugh at myself...

I'm a singer... but, until recently I had only sang karaoke a few times - mostly because I take myself too seriously and REFUSE to potentially bomb in front of people due to a bad key or weird arrrangement... Now, I flat out admit that it was fear that kept me back (and a really disastrous attempt at "What are you doing the rest of your life" about 15 years ago...) but in a million years it never occurred to me to bring my own discs! I didn't know people do that! I've learned so much from this thread...

At any rate, I have discovered about 5 karaoke songs that I feel completely comfortable with in any setting... But, I was really pleased to find on my last Carnival cruise that he had a pretty large arsenal of Broadway tunes, including my old stand by from A Chorus Line "Dance 10, Looks 3" - I never find the good Broadway tunes at karaoke! (btw, after I sang, the host called me over and said, "You're a professional, right?" LOL! - yes, but not at karaoke!) Now I find out I can buy my own discs? WHOO!

So, where does one buy these? And, (in places other than Carnival) do you just bring them to the host? And are any of you karaoke Gods and Goddesses going to be on the Miracle on May 9?

I'm a singer... but, until recently I had only sang karaoke a few times - mostly because I take myself too seriously and REFUSE to potentially bomb in front of people due to a bad key or weird arrrangement... Now, I flat out admit that it was fear that kept me back (and a really disastrous attempt at "What are you doing the rest of your life" about 15 years ago...) but in a million years it never occurred to me to bring my own discs! I didn't know people do that! I've learned so much from this thread...

At any rate, I have discovered about 5 karaoke songs that I feel completely comfortable with in any setting... But, I was really pleased to find on my last Carnival cruise that he had a pretty large arsenal of Broadway tunes, including my old stand by from A Chorus Line "Dance 10, Looks 3" - I never find the good Broadway tunes at karaoke! (btw, after I sang, the host called me over and said, "You're a professional, right?" LOL! - yes, but not at karaoke!) Now I find out I can buy my own discs? WHOO!

So, where does one buy these? And, (in places other than Carnival) do you just bring them to the host? And are any of you karaoke Gods and Goddesses going to be on the Miracle on May 9?

If my information is correct, as Carnival refits the different ships with the new CAVs system, they "may" be all digital and "may not" be able to play cdgs.

However, it will take years before they spend the money to replace their current karaoke systems. I have sailed on the Miracle and used my own cdgs without a problem.

Chartbuster (on line) is a good place to get cdgs. You can either by "boxed" cgds that will have your song on it and then about 5 to 10 others that you may or may not want....OR you can create Custom cdgs like I have for $5 a song (with a 10 song minimum) where you select which songs on the cdg.

Even though my customs cost $50 (for 10 songs) a cdg as opposed to a boxed cdg that will cost $22.00 (for 15 songs)...with the customs I get exactly the songs I that I know I want to sing. The "boxed" may or may not have other songs that I want to sing.

If my information is correct, as Carnival refits the different ships with the new CAVs system, they "may" be all digital and "may not" be able to play cdgs.

However, it will take years before they spend the money to replace their current karaoke systems. I have sailed on the Miracle and used my own cdgs without a problem.

Chartbuster (on line) is a good place to get cdgs. You can either by "boxed" cgds that will have your song on it and then about 5 to 10 others that you may or may not want....OR you can create Custom cdgs like I have for $5 a song (with a 10 song minimum) where you select which songs on the cdg.

Even though my customs cost $50 (for 10 songs) a cdg as opposed to a boxed cdg that will cost $22.00 (for 15 songs)...with the customs I get exactly the songs I that I know I want to sing. The "boxed" may or may not have other songs that I want to sing.

i'll have my mac with me and it has 5000 songs on it, i'm sure we'll find something to suit:D

No, I actually have the CAV203G-USB, that plays CDG's. I do not have the JB199. Ihave been considering a Jukebox system. I went to the stack of literature for the different systems that I've been looking at, and it was he Acesonic KOD-800 that was the only system available capable of downloading the disc directly from the tray, not the CAVS. I stand correted. However, I don't remember what model they ran on the Freedom, but all the host had in the collection was CDG's. I played a couple of SCDG's that I brought, and they played just fine on the ship's CAV equipment. The host was flabergasted when she saw the Partypack disc I brought that contained 1234 songs. The main reason I got the CAVS was to expand my collection tremendously for a relatively cheap investment in discs. The way the industry seems to by shifting to laptops with a ton of downloads, the CAV unit seemed like a cheap way to supplement my existing system before deciding whether to go to a Jukebox or computer system. Sorry for any confusion I might have created. How do you like your JB199? Any complaints? I've only recently started looking to convert. Any suggestions or ideas is appreciated.

I personally will never use CDGs live ever again - the JB199 is a dream - punch in a number and press play... period... I love it to DEATH!!!!

If you're comfortable ordering off the internet, try Ebay. You can also Google what you want to see what's available.

I usually put in the artist's name, type in the word karaoke, CDG, and the song titile in place of and/or including the artist's name. Googling will also bring up the Ebay items. I have found the best bargains from sellers on Ebay. They often buy manufactuter's close-outs and re-sell them..

In time you'll figure out what brands too stay away from. It's really more of a personal preferrence.

If you purchase on Ebay, watch the shipping cost closely. You may find a disc that generally sells for $15-20 for $5.99, then wind up paying $10 for shipping. Many seller don't discount the freight when ordering multiple discs.

Ace Karaoke and Karaoke Warehouse I beleive ship free on purchases over $100. Both ship prompy and you'll have your discs in a few days. I've purchased hundreds of discs on Ebay and have never been burned. That's not to say it can't happen.

Have fun with it. I'm sure you'll purchase some along the way that you'll wish you hadn't wasted the money, but, I've had that happen whether it's been in a retail location or the internet.

I think the point is, if you enjoy karaoke, what's the diff if you bring your own CDG's. to sing to. If it seems like a train wreck to you, don't go. Other than the lifeboat drill, I don't ever remember Carnival ever requiring me to do bingo, the comedy show, piano bar, the art show, etc., etc., etc. People that do karaoke just want to bring their own discs. These people, myself included, just want that option back. It worked for years. Just because I got a "trainwreck" New York steak last cruise, doesn't mean I want them to stop serving New York steak to everyone. In fact, I want the opportunity to order it again. They've always got it right before. So, stay away from karaoke. You won't offend me. Just let me drive my own car into the train again. You don't really mind, do you.

With the exception of the Paradise, can any one confirm this new policy?

I just spent Nine days on the Holiday with Emie, and two us us used our own CDG's the entire time.

The thing non-singers can not understand, is that differnt versions of songs can be in different keys, different arrangements, different tempos, etc. Just because the song has the same name does not mean it will be the same.

So, it just makes sense that if you enjoy singing, you like to bring your own CDG's to have the familiarity.

On a seperate note, I have started a new String for people to list the name and any info they can on Carnival Ships. Everybody hop in and tell us about Karaoke on Carnival Ships.

Go to: Carnival Karaoke at http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12878166#post12878166

I had never done Karaoke until our last cruise in May mainly because I sing Mexican Mariachi music. I took my own cdg on our last cruise for two reasons. They don't have mariachi music cdgs on ship and even if they did, you never know what key it's going to be in and arrangments differ from CDG to CDG. I was surprised that mariachi music went over pretty well. I guess everyone was trying to get in the Cozumel spirit. I was a musician for many years in the Tejano style and was lead singer on a couple of recordings. So I know I can sing. But I would rather not sing to an unknown CDG. I take my singing very seriously.

I also was Frank Sinatra on the legends show. That was out of my genre but I knew what song was used and luckily I had it at home. I practiced it and then I tried it at the Karaoke tryouts and then I made sure the actual track done at the show was in my key before I agreed to do it.

Getting involved like that can make it a very memorable experience and a very enjoyable cruise.

I had never done Karaoke until our last cruise in May mainly because I sing Mexican Mariachi music. I took my own cdg on our last cruise for two reasons. They don't have mariachi music cdgs on ship and even if they did, you never know what key it's going to be in and arrangments differ from CDG to CDG. I was surprised that mariachi music went over pretty well. I guess everyone was trying to get in the Cozumel spirit. I was a musician for many years in the Tejano style and was lead singer on a couple of recordings. So I know I can sing. But I would rather not sing to an unknown CDG. I take my singing very seriously.

I also was Frank Sinatra on the legends show. That was out of my genre but I knew what song was used and luckily I had it at home. I practiced it and then I tried it at the Karaoke tryouts and then I made sure the actual track done at the show was in my key before I agreed to do it.

Getting involved like that can make it a very memorable experience and a very enjoyable cruise.

There was a gentleman on our Holiday cruise last month that sang Keith Whitley's song "Don't Close Your Eyes" and then later did a Spanish love song that was beautiful. I did not understand a single word, since I don't speak Spanish, but it was still beautiful.

Archived