Carnival's new karaoke policy...

terri910

I never knew you could bring your own. :eek:

But the policy makes sense for those reasons. Most places I have been to do not allow people to use their own.

Can I write a letter to get them to destroy their "Dust In The wind" disk? :eek::rolleyes::p

Most places ( "land based" karaoke ) have a great selection.

Sadly, this has never been the case with Carnival.

CAVS system (where the karaoke host has to pull the CDGs) is better than the Ethermedia (new Digital system) .... but still not great...since disks that are used a lot get scratched and never replaced.

Land based karaoke is run by one individual who owns the equipment and songs....while ship based karaoke gets a new karaoke host every 6 months.

No one is ever there long enough to care about the disks they have....especially if the KH is just waiting for a Social Host spot to open up....and doesn't really care about karaoke.

I am glad this strand came back to life...good folks who enjoy Karaoke can have a thread to talk on, like that huge thread about piano bar singers.

I find a wide variety of people come to Karaoke. Some are singers who enjoy the opportunity to perform. And, yes some are good and some are not, and some are subject to opinions.

My ego loves that fact that I literally get some groupies every time I cruise, and some people come to Karaoke just to hear me sing. I also get accuses of being a Carnival plant in Karaoke, and every cruise have someone ask how long I have been working for Carnival.

But, beyond my ego, I also love to go to support and encourage others to participate. I love it when I only get to sing a few times because the line is long of others. Yeah, there are a few you wish would disappear, and a few others you wish would have had a few less to drink, but that is all part of the show.

I find Karaoke is successful or not based on when and where it occurs. But, a lot of people do NOT want to hear a loud band playing and are not interested in dancing. For those, Karaoke becomes a great place to come get something from the bar and hear some music.

I disagree with the thought that most people come for the train wreck. I find most come hopeful of hearing some nice music, but know the wreck will happen.

So Linda, you have any other cruises planned after the Bloggers cruise? We have got to get together for that duet sometime.

I never knew you could bring your own. :eek:

But the policy makes sense for those reasons. Most places I have been to do not allow people to use their own.

Can I write a letter to get them to destroy their "Dust In The wind" disk? :eek::rolleyes::p

If you'll add "Desperado" and "Feelings" I'll sign the letter too!!

The problem with trying to keep the music selections up to date are that most of the companies that licensed their tracks to CAVS are out of business themselves. Top Hits Monthly, Music Maestro and DK were the main labels on the CAVS systems and all are either recently, or long, out of production. Good luck finding Sound Choice, Chartbusters and other decent quality labels on there, and even those ones have really cut back production of new music.

Plus the fact that there isn't anybody in charge of karaoke on the ships for any great length of time, trying to get the music updated is probably low on their priority list. I've often thought of taking my own music, but considering I have been singing at karaoke since 1991, there are tons of songs from back then that I can pull out of the back pocket and do now if I need to. The one time I did take my own was when I stopped at a karaoke store south of Ft Lauderdale and picked up a bunch that were blowout priced (especially compared to the prices we paid here in Canada back then). So, since I had them, I took one up and gave it a try. I don't have delusions of grandeur about how well I sing, but I do pretty good. And it's not only my own ears that say so. No less an authority than Darius Rucker, lead singer for the band Hootie and the Blowfish, who had just sold 16 million copies of Cracked Rearview, was on that cruise getting married, and was at the karaoke show. (Grand Princess, November 1999). His entourage was at the next table in Skywalkers, and he complimented me on my singing.

The thing with karaoke, is everyone likes to see the odd trainwreck, and everyone likes to see the odd next American Idol. My niche is singing songs people can enjoy listening to, and doing them well. Most people who stumble across karaoke for the first time will try some song they sort of remember from their youth, or a song they really like to listen to, but have no hope of being able to sing. I learned early to adapt to what I can do, and as a result have taken a real liking to different types of music than I listened to as a kid. I love to listen to Queen, Guns n Roses and Ozzy, but there ain't no way I'm getting up in front of a bar full of people to sing it LOL.

I am glad this strand came back to life...good folks who enjoy Karaoke can have a thread to talk on, like that huge thread about piano bar singers.

I find a wide variety of people come to Karaoke. Some are singers who enjoy the opportunity to perform. And, yes some are good and some are not, and some are subject to opinions.

My ego loves that fact that I literally get some groupies every time I cruise, and some people come to Karaoke just to hear me sing. I also get accuses of being a Carnival plant in Karaoke, and every cruise have someone ask how long I have been working for Carnival.

But, beyond my ego, I also love to go to support and encourage others to participate. I love it when I only get to sing a few times because the line is long of others. Yeah, there are a few you wish would disappear, and a few others you wish would have had a few less to drink, but that is all part of the show.

I find Karaoke is successful or not based on when and where it occurs. But, a lot of people do NOT want to hear a loud band playing and are not interested in dancing. For those, Karaoke becomes a great place to come get something from the bar and hear some music.

I disagree with the thought that most people come for the train wreck. I find most come hopeful of hearing some nice music, but know the wreck will happen.

So Linda, you have any other cruises planned after the Bloggers cruise? We have got to get together for that duet sometime.

Hey!!

We head out next week for a B2B BEFORE the Blogger's Cruise.

AFTER the Blogger's Cruise....we do have the Dream booked for 12/3/09 which is also going to be a Blogger's Cruise.

I am sure we will pop one in LATE April....but we are going to book last minute.

We are also going to pop a couple in September....but again we are going to book last minute.

I will keep watching your countdowns and you never know....I might just have to pop on a cruise to surprise you~!!!

The problem with trying to keep the music selections up to date are that most of the companies that licensed their tracks to CAVS are out of business themselves. Top Hits Monthly, Music Maestro and DK were the main labels on the CAVS systems and all are either recently, or long, out of production. Good luck finding Sound Choice, Chartbusters and other decent quality labels on there, and even those ones have really cut back production of new music.

Plus the fact that there isn't anybody in charge of karaoke on the ships for any great length of time, trying to get the music updated is probably low on their priority list. I've often thought of taking my own music, but considering I have been singing at karaoke since 1991, there are tons of songs from back then that I can pull out of the back pocket and do now if I need to. The one time I did take my own was when I stopped at a karaoke store south of Ft Lauderdale and picked up a bunch that were blowout priced (especially compared to the prices we paid here in Canada back then). So, since I had them, I took one up and gave it a try. I don't have delusions of grandeur about how well I sing, but I do pretty good. And it's not only my own ears that say so. No less an authority than Darius Rucker, lead singer for the band Hootie and the Blowfish, who had just sold 16 million copies of Cracked Rearview, was on that cruise getting married, and was at the karaoke show. (Grand Princess, November 1999). His entourage was at the next table in Skywalkers, and he complimented me on my singing.

The thing with karaoke, is everyone likes to see the odd trainwreck, and everyone likes to see the odd next American Idol. My niche is singing songs people can enjoy listening to, and doing them well. Most people who stumble across karaoke for the first time will try some song they sort of remember from their youth, or a song they really like to listen to, but have no hope of being able to sing. I learned early to adapt to what I can do, and as a result have taken a real liking to different types of music than I listened to as a kid. I love to listen to Queen, Guns n Roses and Ozzy, but there ain't no way I'm getting up in front of a bar full of people to sing it LOL.

WOW ... that is high praise.

His group must like Carnival because his drummer was on a cruise with us several years back. He was very cool.

We have also cruised with the guitarist for an opening band for Buffett.

He was a BLAST in the piano bar every night. He even played and sang some originals.

Archived