Formal nights??

Seabee

If you mean "formal nights" similar to those found on ocean cruiselines, then the answer is no, at least that has been my experience on GCT and Avalon. There is, however, one or two occasions where some men have worn sport coats and women have been a little "dressy." The "captain's welcome dinner" is one such occasion and the "farewell dinner" was another one. But, even on those occasions, most people wore what I would call "country club casual." All in all, you will find a river cruise to be much more informal and casual than ocean cruising.

Marcia is correct but on the Avalon Tranquiliy's Captains dinner the men who wore sportscoats ,suits or even ties were definitely in the minority. My DH didn't even bring a tie or sportscoat and he always felt like he fit right in. This is a very casual experience. Jeans were common during the day while touring and for breakfast or lunch. Jeans were not worn in the evening for dinner most of the time. I think there was a couple of times where the optional tour got back late and there was not really time to change for dinner. On those nights people wore for dinner what they had worn during the day.

Archived