Seasoned Travelers Please Help - Air France

After our 10 Day Med Cruise on Navigator in May our family will fly to Paris for 3 days before coming home. I still need to book air from Barcelona to Paris.

I think we have decided on Air France so that we can get to Paris as early in the day as possible. They limit the luggage you can check to a TOTAL of 44 pounds.

They allow one small carry on and 1 personal item - their website states for a total of 20 pounds.

Here are my questions:

1) Do they actually weigh your carry on baggage?

2) Can you carry a backpack as your personal item?

3) How far it the airport from the port in Barcelona ?

4) Is there easy transportation to the airport from the pier?

5) The schedule says that the Navigator will port at 5:00am - what time

could we easily get to the airport?

5) Could we make a 10:30 am flight?

Thanks so much - this portion of our trip has caused the most headaches (because of the luggage restrictions)

I made reservations with air france from Barcelonia to Paris to JFK and was told you are allowed 2 bags at 50lbs. I hope this hasn't changed.

My understanding is that if you are flying to or from the US you are allowed 2 bags at 50 lbs each - However - if you are flying "inside" Eurpoe like we will on this flight from Barcelona to Paris - different rules apply.

Thats why I am concerned....I get different answers every time I call Air France. One agent told me I could take a backpack on as my purse - another agent said no, that a backpack would be considered a carry on.

Since I have never been - I just do not know how things work over there. The agent on the phone told me that they actually weigh your carry on items.

We flew Air France from Paris to Rome recently (before our 11/23 Brilliance cruise). They did not weigh our carry on.

However...... we had just flown Continental from Houston to Paris then changed to Air France from Paris to Rome - all as one "trip" booked thru Continental. Air France is a partner with Continental so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I was also worried about the 44 lbs versus 50 lbs difference and here is the answer I got when I called.....

if your flight originates on an airline with 50 lb limit.....Air France will take the 50 lb bags..... but if your "trip" begins or is just an Air France flight - 44 lbs max. Hope that makes sense......

I just flew Air France within France. They did not weigh our carry-ons, they didn't even look at them. I had a big woman's purse with me plus a carry-on and it was no problem. In other airlines like Iberia which have the same kind of rules intra-Europe, my son had a backpack ( normal size) plus a carry-on and it was accepted w/o any comments.

They do weigh the checked in bagagge and the 44 lbs limit will apply as you are not continuing to the US on the same day.

Here we go with all these different answers again. I booked Air France from Paris to Rome/Venice to Paris, independently from my International flight. The agent told me 44 lbs checked baggage, and 26 pounds for carry-on bag + my personal item (purse, camera, laptop, etc.). I can't check the website as it is all in French.

If you go to the U.S. site for Air France, that won't apply to Domestic within Europe flights.

Can anyone tell me how is air france. I am nervous hearing about the airport in France and the airstrikesDo I need to be very concerned?

I have nothing negative to say about Air France, in fact I enjoyed my flights with them, and can say that the food and service were relatively good. However, Charles deGaulle(CDG) airport in Paris is another story, a horror story in fact. :eek: Please allow at least a couple of hours between flights and do a search of this message board for more suggestions.

Comments on Air France: They have improved considerably in recent years. Except when there is a strike going on, I am more than happy to fly with them. With the pending acquisition of Alitalia (which might actually occur this coming spring), there might well be more labor actions. the other negative regarding AF is CDG. Often you will have to bus to or from the plane. The airport itself is find since you won't have to worry about connections and there is excellent light rail service to the city.

I have never seen them weigh or even pay much attention to carry-ons. that, of course, does not guarantee anything.

The weight rules are simple, really. Ignore the 50 lbs silliness. that only applies to flights to/from the U.S. can connections thereto. You will need to deal with their normal intra-europe rules. If you want to read the details in English, http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/bagage_en_soute.htm?BV_SessionID=@@@@0474012332.1199061228@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddmldmkdekcefecekedgfndghn.0 should help you out. I don't know how that is going to display, but it is one long address ending with "n.0"

It is 20 kg checked luggage for "normal" economy travelers (i.e., not elite members of their or their partners' frequent flyer programs).

Travel time to the airport in Barcelona can be as short as 20 minutes on weekends. If traveling during rush hour on a weekday, it can be as long as 45 minutes but that would be unusual. I suggest taking a taxi I'd estimate te cost to be 25 to 30 euros.

Making a 10:30 flight should not be a problem but I have no idea what the disembarkation procedures are for your ship.

Not that you asked, but check out Vueling Airlines. They have the same luggage limitations as AF -- 20 kg checked and 10 kg carry-on -- (except for Vueling's 4 euro/bag charge) and are a great low cost airlines based in Barcelona.

Paul

• 4 months later...

We recently flew from Toronto to Venice with Air France. We had no problems with a 1 hr and 40 minute connection time coming back. We had to go thru security but still had lots of time. It looked like there was another security check for transfers. The food and service on the flight was very good and we would fly with them again.

Archived