Please make me feel better about how many bags I packed

jollycruise

Gordonchick & 98Charlie,

Thanks for laundry idea. I think I will send out the clothes we used the day we fly into miami and just wear them again on the day we leave. Perfect!

Only problem I've had in sending DH's dockers or slacks out to the ship's laundry is that he likes the crease the laundry puts into them and I don't really want to iron that much at home.

Dianne

Only problem I've had in sending DH's dockers or slacks out to the ship's laundry is that he likes the crease the laundry puts into them and I don't really want to iron that much at home.

Dianne

This is just a rumor - I can't prove it's true - but I've heard that irons work for men, too. You don't actually have to be a woman to operate one. ;)

We took four suitcases and a computer laptop backpack on our 8 day Miracle cruise. We did pack formal wear and alcohol and lots of shoes. Could have taken less, but I am a just in case kinda person.

Can't imagine carry-on only.

Payd:)

Payd-- I'm with you!! I have to have choices when I'm on vacation! We usually have one large suitcase (primarily for me), a medium sized suitcase (primarily for dh) and then a garment bag with wheels for formal/dressy nights (for both of us). I tell you, it's the shoes I have to take with that take up a lot of room. I'm going to try to only take 4-5 pairs on this cruise coming up. We'll see how that works out.

This is just a rumor - I can't prove it's true - but I've heard that irons work for men, too. You don't actually have to be a woman to operate one. ;)

DH is on the road about 100+ days a year. He knows how to use an iron quite well by now and uses it more than I do.:D

In fact, on a few cruises DH has offered to go down to the laundry room to press a few clothes out to let me have some time off from laundry duties.

Dianne

Gordonchick & 98Charlie,

Thanks for laundry idea. I think I will send out the clothes we used the day we fly into miami and just wear them again on the day we leave. Perfect!

We haven't sailed NCL yet, but on the other lines, they sometimes have a laundry special like $20 for everything you can fit into a bag they provide. There are three of us, and this seriously cut down on our packing when we went to Alaska. Does NCL do this as well?

When there were 4 of us traveling, we usually ended up with 5 checked bags, plus a carry on. Not sure how, since each time we said we would pack less, it seems we always packed more. The plan was that my parents would take one suitcase, me and my sister would take another, and another bag for shoes and toiletries and things like that. Somehow, that winds up as 5 bags. We always wondered how we see a family of 4 with 2 bags and wonders how is that possible. We also don't buy many large souvenirs from the ports, usually some jewelry in St. Thomas, and that's about it. So we don't need extra space for that stuff.

We haven't sailed NCL yet, but on the other lines, they sometimes have a laundry special like $20 for everything you can fit into a bag they provide. There are three of us, and this seriously cut down on our packing when we went to Alaska. Does NCL do this as well?

Yes, towards the mid- tp the end of the cruise.

Dianne

I used to overpack. The more we travel, the more we have learned how to pack successfully without hauling numerous heavy bags. You absolutely do not have to forego fashion for light packing, it's all in the pieces you pack and the accessories, not the amount of pieces you pack.

For us, successful packing is wearing absolutely everything at least 2-3 or more times and coming home with everything dirty. I don't care to have to sort things out for the trip home, it's easier to just dump the whole pile on the living room floor, sort and wash.

But, everyone has to do what works best for them, we prefer taking only the amount of luggage that the two of us can handle comfortably. I'm over staging my every day and evening looks, I take pieces that work together and pack light and easy, no wrinkles, etc.

Same with shoes, the fewer the better. I now pack from the shoes up, not the other way around. I really don't see a lot of people dressed any better than we do on a cruise ship, we wear nice clothing.

I did read and interesting article in the travel section a while back, written by a former baggage handler. He stated they will abuse, intentionally, heavy bags they know are packed by the casual vacation traveler. I think it's mean-spirited, but their reasons are that the overpacker does not care whether they are injured, after all the casual traveller is only fined $25 per overweight bag. Therefore, they have no reason to be overly concerned for the well-being of the heavily packed bags.

A little food for thought.

Archived