Please make me feel better about how many bags I packed

jollycruise

Ok...We are leaving on the Dawn for a seven day cruise in one week! Yeah!

I am just about done packing and I ended up with two 26" suitcases and two 23" suitcases packed full. Not to mention my small rolling carry on and my husbands backpack carry on.

Please tell me I not the only one with so many dang bags.

For those people who pack in just carry ons...good for you, not possible for me and my husband. Some support from other suitcase crazy people would be fun :)

No hanging bag? I'd have to add one garment bag to the list.

Nope. We are casual people no formal gowns or suits just two cocktail dresses that fold up nice and small and dont wrinkle bad at all. Thank god the airlines limit the number of bags or who knows how many I would pack. Now I just have to weigh the dang things and see if I managed to stay under the airline limit! I can only hope:D.

I am just about done packing and I ended up with two 26" suitcases and two 23" suitcases packed full. Not to mention my small rolling carry on and my husbands backpack carry on.

For those people who pack in just carry ons...good for you, not possible for me and my husband. Some support from other suitcase crazy people would be fun :)

I've done Europe for 10 days with carry on only but then again when I'm traveling for my marathons, add probably another bag to your list.

I think you are taking too many clothes. Plan on wearing things twice and mix and match. Don't forget, you have to haul all that stuff around with you. I just returned from a 7 day with one expanding 24" bag and still could have left 2 items at home that I didn't wear.

We took four suitcases and a computer laptop backpack on our 8 day Miracle cruise. We did pack formal wear and alcohol and lots of shoes. Could have taken less, but I am a just in case kinda person.

Can't imagine carry-on only.

Payd:)

DH & I have to fly to all of our ports and always take 2 suitcases each as well as a carry on each.

Our checked bags aren't packed to the weight limit when we leave but are usually to the limit when we return.:D

Have learned over several cruises to pack mix & match clothing for each of us and pack light weight clothing to boot.

We don't travel with a garment bag anymore. DH's tux and my evening wear are encased in dry cleaner bags when I pack them into our suticases and they come out of the cases just fine.

Have learned to purchase travel size containers of most of our daily needs products and live with 2 to 3 pairs of shoes each on a cruise.

Dianne

We took four suitcases and a computer laptop backpack on our 8 day Miracle cruise. We did pack formal wear and alcohol and lots of shoes. Could have taken less, but I am a just in case kinda person.

Can't imagine carry-on only.

Payd:)

You sound like my kinda person! I could take less also but just in case stuff...I have to have.

I think you are taking too many clothes. Plan on wearing things twice and mix and match. Don't forget, you have to haul all that stuff around with you. I just returned from a 7 day with one expanding 24" bag and still could have left 2 items at home that I didn't wear.

All my clothes fold or roll small. I also have all mix and match outfits. It's my husbands clothes that take up so much room. The option of wearing it again does not work for him...he is unable to keep himself clean :) .

All my clothes fold or roll small. I also have all mix and match outfits. It's my husbands clothes that take up so much room. The option of wearing it again does not work for him...he is unable to keep himself clean :) .

Welcome to my life. If you ever find how to keep one of these male things in tip top shape, please let me know. And for all you carry on only people, I do admire you, but I don't know how you do it. I am also one of these just in case type people. Too much of everything.

I agree with Cusyl, you can do mix and match clothes. And........hope your luggage is on WHEELS. I can't imagine not having wheels, even on my carry on bag. I also use space bags. Keeping in mind that you drop your packed suitcase off at the port building and then go onto the ship and up on your level, you still have loads of walking to do. But, if you fly, you have to deal with all that luggage in the airport before you even get to the port building. Sounds like you are about 1 bag too many for me. I'd pack a suitcase each for you and your hubby and then one for shoes, accessories, bathing suits, etc. Make sure your carry on bag is the largest you can have if you're flying. The night before you dock to come home, you have to put your luggage out in the hallway. You only get to keep your carry on bag with you in the room overnight. You'll need a change of clothes, prescriptions, etc. with you.

jollycruise, Have you weighed those bags yet? If not, drop by Radio Shack and pick up a $4.00 luggage scale (below).

$4.00 now saves big $$$ later in overweight baggage charges..:D

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-travelpro-luggage-scale--pi-2268594.html

I'm doing it the ghetto way:

Step one: Slap it on our bathroom scale and get the weight. :)

Step two: I weigh myself then I hop back on holding the bag and my son reads the scale to me. :D

So far this has worked. The entertainment value is pretty good too! I love a good laugh.

do you people not know how to pack? DH DD and I are going for 2 week, we each a 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on. DH and I are sharing a garment bag also. we still have enough room that DH & DD's carry-on's are EMPTY. and NO I am not going to have to laundry when I am there. I brought 14 changes of everything day & night wear including 2 formals. Most of us are packing light weight summer clothes. we are not going to russia and need our longjohns. dont forget you always bring back more than what you came with. have fun

That's what the ship's laundry is for! We used to pack way more than we needed. Now we just over pack a little and plan on using the send out laundry. To me, that money is well-spent versus keeping up with all the luggage.

That's what the ship's laundry is for! We used to pack way more than we needed. Now we just over pack a little and plan on using the send out laundry. To me, that money is well-spent versus keeping up with all the luggage.

DH & I normally fly to our cruise port city the day before the cruise and wear slacks & shirts that we will be able to wear on the cruise - dockers and a tropical shirt for him and either nice slacks or capris for me with a tropical shirt. Day of embarkation we wear something similar and change into fresh clothes (packed in our carry on) for dinner.

Next morning we send the two outfits we wore to travel and to embark ship to the laundry. It's ready to wear later in the cruise, all fresh, cleaned and pressed.

We also have our formal wear drycleaned on the ship before disembarkation. Ship's drycleaning services are much cheaper than we can get at home.

Dianne

do you people not know how to pack? DH DD and I are going for 2 week, we each a 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on. DH and I are sharing a garment bag also. we still have enough room that DH & DD's carry-on's are EMPTY. and NO I am not going to have to laundry when I am there. I brought 14 changes of everything day & night wear including 2 formals. Most of us are packing light weight summer clothes. we are not going to russia and need our longjohns. dont forget you always bring back more than what you came with. have fun

Whooo Hoooo. Good for you. "Us People" were having fun talking about over packing and trying to eliminate items and bags. Thank you to everyone else for their responses.

Hey...I used that weighing method too! Of course, I had to borrow a bathroom scale as I don't own one!

As far as the number of bags, it sounds normal to me :)

Last time, between Mom and I, we had: two large rolling suitcases, 1 garment bag, 2 rolling carryons and two sling type bags as purses. Then we brought and extra bag for souvenirs.

My opinion is yes, I can rewear things and mix and match and all that stuff but I never get to wear formal wear at home, rarely get to wear dressy clothes and in the winter, swimsuits, skirts, shorts, etc... are just out.

This is just my opinion, but if you can fit everything you need and want to take in a carryon, that's awesome. If not, use as many bags as you need and as long as you can handle them yourself, I don't see a problem.

Archived