Needing advice for Nassau--doing it on own

jkmmah

We'll be in port from 7am-3pm and are considering doing Nassau on our own. We'd like to hit the staircase, water tower, the fort dungeons. We also would like to see Cable beach and the bay street shopping area.

What order would you recommend we do these in to maximize our day? We don't know how far these attractions are from each other or how to travel (foot, cab, bus???).

Keeping in mind our timeframe, 7-3, can you help us plan a day and tell us which buses or cabs will take us from place to place?

Thank you so much if you can help.

I'm planning to do the same thing on my own, only I have more time. Check online for area maps. I've found a couple on [url="http://www.bahamas-on-line.com"]www.bahamas-on-line.com[/url] and [url="http://www.planetware.com"]www.planetware.com[/url]. They list the Staircase, Tower, and Fort Fincastle. These maps include the pier (Prince George Wharf) where you're docked. Looks like a 15-20 minute walk to these sites, but since I haven't been yet, I'm not for sure. I've also read on this message board that the best way to Cable Beach is the #10 jitney (bus). Ask around on where to catch this bus. I think it's near the pier. It's a 15/20 minute ride, which includes a few stops, but it's the best way to go. At a $1.00, it beats the $12 you'd pay for a taxi. Only, pay when you exit the bus! Exact change. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help. Yesterday I was lucky enough to find Frommer's guide to the Bahama's at our library. I've been thumbing through it and now I feel much more confident that we CAN do Nassau on our own. I'll print off some maps from your links and we'll make a great day of our stop in the Bahama's!!!

Turn right off the dock go about 4/5 blocks to George Street and pick up #10 bus. Costs about a dollar each way, takes you to Cable Beach. Tell driver to let you off a Marriott. Walk thru their lobby to pool and beach (your welcome to do this).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jkmmah:
We'll be in port from 7am-3pm and are considering doing Nassau on our own. We'd like to hit the staircase, water tower, the fort dungeons. We also would like to see Cable beach and the bay street shopping area.

What order would you recommend we do these in to maximize our day? We don't know how far these attractions are from each other or how to travel (foot, cab, bus???).

Keeping in mind our timeframe, 7-3, can you help us plan a day and tell us which buses or cabs will take us from place to place?

Thank you so much if you can help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We saw all of those things on a tour some guy with a taxi took us on, I don't think it was that expensive either.

yin yang, great sites. Thanks for posting the links!

Shirley
cruising-courtesy-kindness

3-Night Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 7, 2005

Family spring break cruise on the Dawn . . . April 17, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98
CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01
CCL Fascination 4/03
RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03
CCL Imagination 12/03
CCL Fascination 5/04

Archived