dental emergencies

mtennant

What is the situation if you have a dental emergency such as an abscess? I have heard that there are no dentists on board RCC ships and as I am on a cruise to Asia on the Rhapsody in January- only the second one RCC will have done to this area- I am concerned that they might not have local contacts yet. We will be in Haiphong, Hue, Vungtau, Sihanoukville as well as Nha Trang and Laemchabang. I do get rather frequent abscesses and travel with antibiotics but have had so many emergency appointments for draining abscesses or treating them over the years that I am a bit paranoid about it! What is local dental practice like?

What is the situation if you have a dental emergency such as an abscess? I have heard that there are no dentists on board RCC ships and as I am on a cruise to Asia on the Rhapsody in January- only the second one RCC will have done to this area- I am concerned that they might not have local contacts yet. We will be in Haiphong, Hue, Vungtau, Sihanoukville as well as Nha Trang and Laemchabang. I do get rather frequent abscesses and travel with antibiotics but have had so many emergency appointments for draining abscesses or treating them over the years that I am a bit paranoid about it! What is local dental practice like?

Thank goodness, I have never had to visit a dentist in Vietnam/Cambodia. However, I rely HEAVILY on the expertise of expats that actually LIVE in Vietnam/Cambodia year 'round for things like doctors (which I have needed) and local help (translation and transport). I have also called International SOS, which is a freebie with my travel insurance policy.

http://www.internationalsos.com/en/index.htm?CFID=14194492&CFTOKEN=17161745

Here are two websites I have used to contact expats:

http://vietnam.asiaxpat.com/directory/healthservices/

http://www.alloexpat.com/vietnam_expat_forum/

I am sure any one of these can put you in touch with a competent dentist. My first place to call would be my travel insurance company.

My son lives in Saigon and says the dental treatment offered by local dentists is very good quality and very cheap, getting a name from Greatam's list in the towns in Vietnam you plan to visit should put your mind at rest.

Laem Chabang in Thailand is a port area the nearest town is Pattaya.

Archived