US Air Bankrupt (Again?)

mmadhatter

and here is another portion of that email!!!

I want you to know that this announcement has no impact on your Dividend Miles account and the many benefits you receive as a member. While our restructuring efforts focus on achieving a competitive cost structure, there will be no direct impact on our ability to professionally serve you. This action will not affect your ability to earn or redeem Dividend Miles to the more than 750 worldwide destinations we offer as a Star Alliance member airline. Additionally, the US Airways Club network continues to operate without interruption for its members.

i have always flown USAir and will continue to fly with them to the BITTER end...:)

Dear MIKE ,

I want to make you aware of an important but necessary step our company has taken. US Airways has filed a petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. This action is intended to provide the airline the opportunity to implement its Transformation Plan built on lower costs, a simplified fare structure, a strong position on the U.S. East Coast, and a growing presence in Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.

You should understand that US Airways is not going out of business. The Chapter 11 process will allow US Airways to complete its restructuring initiatives while we continue normal day-to-day operations. There will be no changes to our flight schedule as a result of this filing. Every ticket will be accepted and honored in accordance with current US Airways policies; refunds and exchanges will be made as usual. Reciprocal agreements with other air carriers, including affiliates, Star Alliance and codeshare partners, will remain fully intact and continue without interruption.

I want you to know that this announcement has no impact on your Dividend Miles account and the many benefits you receive as a member. While our restructuring efforts focus on achieving a competitive cost structure, there will be no direct impact on our ability to professionally serve you. This action will not affect your ability to earn or redeem Dividend Miles to the more than 750 worldwide destinations we offer as a Star Alliance member airline. Additionally, the US Airways Club network continues to operate without interruption for its members.

We remain committed to our Transformation Plan, which provides many positive benefits to customers, including better service, more flights and low fares. We continue to expand GoFares, which provide lower, simpler fares while not compromising amenities like seat assignments, First Class cabins and airport clubs that you have come to expect from US Airways. Enhancements to http://www.usairways.com as well as airport technology improvements will make traveling even easier. Our strong positions in Boston, Charlotte, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C., allow us to offer even more service to the most popular destinations, and with our new international gateway in Fort Lauderdale, our Caribbean and Latin America expansion continues, offering even more choices for customers.

We have established http://www.transformingusairways.com as a dedicated Web site with information about our transformation. As this process continues, the site will be updated regularly.

Thank you for your continued support. We are proud that you are our customer, and we are ready to serve you on your next US Airways flight.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lakefield

President and Chief Executive Officer

US Airways, Inc., P.O. Box 5, Winston - Salem, NC 27102-0005

I agree with the former poster about discount airlines (Southwest, Airtran, JetBlue) hurting US Airways. For a few years US Airways ran MetroJet, which rivaled the cost of Southwest. Granted, Metrojet ran up and down the east cost and didn't go west, but they were great. I live near Baltimore, and US Airways used to be the biggest airline at BWI.

One thing people often don't realize is US Airwways took a worse hit than most airlines because of 9/11. Reagan National was a major hub for them. Other airports around the country started opening at least 2 months before Reagan National. US Airways lost their shirt on this, and, in my opinion, hasn't been able to recover.

Best of luck to all those booked on this airline. I think US Airways miles can be used on United.

I'm a little gun-shy of US Airways. I was about to book airfare to San Juan from Philadelphia, but now I think I'll book American. The flights are over Thanksgiving, so I'm not chancing it. Such a bummer too, as US Airways flights are $50 cheaper than American.:(

It's really a shame that I have to drive Philadelphia to get a decent price on airfare to San Juan.:rolleyes:

Remember folks. Liquidation of an airline is not like a retailer with merchandise to sell off after announcing he's going out of business. the airline willl continue with the business as usual statements till the last day. Then you wake up the next morning and hear on the news that the creditors have taken possesion of the assets and the airline is no longer in business.

Here's a situation - I have vouchers from USAIR that expire in February 2005. If I book with USAIR Manchester to FLL in January, I can fly for less than $200.00 total for two round trip. I was just about to do it when they filed for bankruptcy. Is it silly and a waste to book with USAIR with the chance they fold and close the doors prior to me flying? or should I risk the $200.00 bucks and go for it and if they close I need to get another flight. I would prefer not to fly out of Logan if possible, but Delta has great fares right now direct Logan to FLL, but they are also considering Chapter 11. There is always JetBlue out of Logan or Southwest (with a stop) out of Manchester. Any ideas?

I don't know what to say. I am flying(or hoping to) at x-mas. I know usair has a fast paced plan to get out of bankruptcy. My guess would be that if they folded it would be just when they dont get much business would that be January?? Also, does anyone know if they made the pension payment?

Archived