Golden Princess Honeymooner

ashli109

My fiancee and I are looking into booking the Golden Princess 14 night voyage to Hawaii on October 15, 2008 for our honeymoon... We have been to a travel agent and she advised us that since there are only a total of 4 days spent in Hawaii that we would probably 1. wish we had more time on the actual islands. and 2. be more than ready to get off that boat after 8 days of sailing...

We want to make sure this trip is amazing in every way and do not want to be disappointed....

My fiancee is also the type that gets a little stir crazy and likes to be very active - do you think this is a good move for us - to go on this cruise? Or would we be better off going to an all inclusive resort say in Mexico or somwehere else??

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

That really is going to depend on the two of you. Are you looking for a "Hawaii vacation" or "a cruise that goes to Hawaii vacation"? Cruising is cruising--it can be amazing, but its not a stay at a land resort. What are you expecting from your trip, and what do you expect to do during the day?

If your fiancee is looking for non-stop action all day, I think you would be better off to find either another, shorter cruise (the 14 day ones, particularly in October, tend to be an older group, mostly retired as they can be gone that long, very few younger folks) or a resort that offers the activities he wants. On the other hand, if all you want is to sit by a pool, have a great changing ocean view, drink some cocktails (think Corona commercials) you might love the long ocean days with the Hawaiian ports in the middle.

I've done the 15 day version of this cruise twice and as a dear friend (who has done it three times) says, this is a cruiser's cruise. The majority of this vacation is spent on the ship, the time in the Hawaiian ports is a small percentage of the full trip. If one is not apt to enjoy that much time at sea, this is not the cruise for them.

I don't quite agree with your travel agent - I'm not one to be ready to get off the ship after 8 days at sea. But the TA is correct that the time in Hawaii is minimal and if you're wanting time there, a land vacation would be a better choice.

The days at sea over and back tend to be cooler and sometimes windy, making it a little difficult to spend a lot of time out on deck by the pool. I agree that this is the type of cruise that appeals to an older crowd due to the length. If you want more action and more ports, go to the Caribbean.

We did the 7 day Hawaiian cruise on Pride of American several years ago when they 1st stated curising the Hawaiian Islands. It was a great way to get to see 4 different islands. After seeing the 4, we went back this past summer and split 4 days each on Maui and the Big Island. Do the cruise if you are doing it for the curise, otherwise, spend the time in Hawaii. If you have never been, as I had before the cruise, you will not want to go anywhere else. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful the Isalnds are. You will not regret going there. Good luck in your decision.

Archived