Does anyone take Airborne or anything like it before a cruise?

Is Cold FX available in the US? There was a thing on the news here the other day about their stock going down because it wasn't approved by the fda.

Funny you should ask that. I read about it on Cruise Critic a couple of months before our October cruise and meant to check it out at the drug store but forgot, of course. About a month before the October cruise, I went to the drug store--ironically for WelBorne as it was on sale--and they had a dump table full of medicines for 75% off. Being thrifty, I pawed through it and two bottles of Cold-FX were there. I searched for an expiration date on the package and couldn't find one. It had a "sale" sticker on it for $14.95. I didn't know if the 75% would be off the regular price (of which I had no clue what it was) or the $15. Anyway, figured the price was only going to be about $5 at most so I figured I would give it a shot. I also picked up a lot of other cold medicine like Contact, Ziacam, Robatussin, etc. and those expiration dates were not out. Some had a "sale" sticker on them, some didn't. When I got to the check out line with about 12 or so items, the girl starts ringing them up and the Cold FX was the "sale" price. I pointed to the table and said the sign said 75% off. She called over a "manager." The person told her it was 75% off the price on the box. She didn't like that answer so she called someone else on the phone. They said it should be the sale price. I was ready for an answer like "someone got it off the shelf and dumped it there" but that never came up. I held my ground and finally got the whole order for around $20. I felt bad holding up the line (they eventually opened another line) but I explained to people who would get in the line behind me, apologizing, telling them they didn't want this line why I was holding it up--we were talking big bucks. When I told some people what I was doing, they headed over to the table. Funny thing, table disappeared by the time I got my check out completed (lol).

So, maybe you are right--that is why it was on the dump table.

You all naysayers can laugh all you want but I can tell you that from 20 plus cruises and other trips involving air travel, whenever I came home, I could count on being sick if I wasn't sick already. Sick enough to go to the doctor on a few occasions. Since doing WelBorne on cruises/air before traveling and the Cold-FX (the October cruise plus a 15 day Trans-Atlantic cruise which included a flight to Barcelona) no sickness at all. On our Alaskan cruise a few years back we had a pre-cruise flying in of several days and by the time we got to Vancouver for our embarkation, I was sick as a dog. I had to go to sick bay on that one and that isn't cheap. So, if I can't get Cold-FX anymore, I will go the AirBorne/WelBorne route. Husband was sick when we got home from both cruises having taken no precautions. I rest my case.

Tucker in Texas

... this is a doctor who prescribes medicine extravagantly and in large doses.
:eek:

I would like to make an appointment with this doctor. Name, address and phone number, please. :p

I've used Airborne but have found that taking a regular decongestant and allergy pill works best. On the other hand I keep antibiotics handy for any strange bug that won't go away after a couple of weeks.

Archived