Alaska Cruise: balcony or deluxe balcony

yuckylucky

Hello!!!

We are seriously considering sailing on the Carnival Spirit for the Alaska itinerary in July 2008. We sailed the Spirit once before in May 2002 to Alaska and had a balcony room on the Empress deck. It was just fine for the two of us and we loved the entire cruise and the ship.

Instead of the two of us, we will be four this time (now with our soon-to-be five year old girl and my mom). I've been pricing the cruise a number of different ways (seeing which sites/agencies offer incentives, etc.)...the prices are the same regardless, I've found.

Now, here's where I'm torn and need help! We had all intentions of booking the Deluxe Balcony Room, which measures at 230 square feet with an 85 square foot balcony. However, on one travel site, they are offering a Past Passenger rate for the regular Balcony Room with a two-category upgrade (the upgrade stays within the Balcony Room line). The Balcony Room measures 185 square feet with a 54 square foot balcony. The price difference is exactly $1,000 less than the Deluxe Balcony Room.

$1,000 is no small change and to save $1,000 and sacrifice 45 square feet seems worth it. I'm thinking we can use that money towards excursions or the Denali trip we plan to enjoy after the cruise is over.

What would you do? Again, we are a married couple who will travel with a five-year old girl and my 58 year old mom. Would you feel squished in the Balcony Room and spend the extra $1,000 for the Deluxe Balcony or would you deal with it and have the money in your pocket? Oh, we are paying for my mom to go on this trip as her Christmas present so it's no matter to her; though she gets concerned about her snoring...which I've heard...and the 45 square feet won't make a difference sound-wise, trust me. ;)

The argument about having the whole ship to enjoy is clearly a strong one...and also we would only all be in the room to sleep and get ready for dinner (and even that could be done in shifts...giving my mom her privacy and vice versa).

I'm leaning towards the plain old Balcony Room and keeping the money...

I welcome any and all sound, reasonable (and humorously entertaining as well) advice!

Thanks!

Lisa

Not sure what you are referring to as a delux-- (maybe a suite?? or an extended balcony.

All cabins in the cat 8 are the same size- the balcony as an extended is the only thing that will be bigger.

cabin 6232 is the best cat 8 extended balcony for your money: it also holds 4 people.

293683084CKyqeR_th.jpg

have you priced out what the difference would be to take a balcony cabin amd an inside cabin? you might be surprised.

a balcony is a must for alaska as viewing scenery is a high point. (unless you want to use the public deck with a lot of other people.)

regular balconies are rather small and narrow. to fit all 4 of you out there comfortably might not fit. These balconies hold 2 chiars and a small table. it will be kinda squished to fit another chair there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the AVERAGE daytime temp is only 65 in Alaska during the summer. That's not to say it can't get warmer but don't count on 80 degree weather for your cruise.

How much will you utilize a balcony if the temperature is only 65?

For a good part of our Alaska trip the outside temperature was in the upper 40s, lower 50s. We had an aft balcony, and we stayed out there all the time. In the first place, it never got dark, so we watched the beautiful scenery all night long. My husband doesn't mind the cold at all, so he was fine with just a long-sleeved tshirt, and I was very comfortable in a sweatshirt. The temperature was low, but it sure did not feel cold at all, just chilly.

I would absolutely recommend the aft balcony, preferably on the main deck, due to the largest overhang--you can utilize the balcony even when it's misty. You should check the inside cabin rates, as Serene suggested. Everyone could use your balcony and head back to their own cabin when it's time to sleep or get ready to go out.

Hello!

The balcony is a must for sure. We utilized ours when we were on the Spirit in May '02 all of the time...way better than the crowded public decks...though we enjoyed those for photo ops in College Fjords.

Drum roll please: I didn't book either of the rooms I was considering. I bit the bullet and booked the Cat. 11 Suite in the aft. The wrap-around balcony suites in the same category were gone (of course). But we will be happy nonetheless right next to one of those suites with the larger room and larger balcony on the Panorama Deck.

I just posted a roll call too since I didn't see one there.

Now I'm gearing up for what to do when we get off the ship. We're staying an additional five days to visit Denali Nat'l Park. So much to see, so much to do, and it seems like so much time, right? It'll be here before I know it! Gotta get cracking!

Thanks again!

Now I'm gearing up for what to do when we get off the ship. We're staying an additional five days to visit Denali Nat'l Park. So much to see, so much to do, and it seems like so much time, right? It'll be here before I know it! Gotta get cracking!

Thanks again!

I'm the planner in our house. I spent months recording information in my notebook, making plans and changing my mind....finally narrowing down the choices. The time goes by awfully fast--there are too many choices and you want to do everything.

You'll really enjoy Denali...after our cruise it was another vacation. Make sure you bring lots of memory space and tapes for your cameras...we actually gave someone on our bus one of our extra memory cards. You won't believe how many photos you'll take!

I'm the planner in our house. I spent months recording information in my notebook, making plans and changing my mind....finally narrowing down the choices. The time goes by awfully fast--there are too many choices and you want to do everything.

You'll really enjoy Denali...after our cruise it was another vacation. Make sure you bring lots of memory space and tapes for your cameras...we actually gave someone on our bus one of our extra memory cards. You won't believe how many photos you'll take!

That is exactly what my husband and I were saying today: like two vacations in one. We're very excited. We have no idea where to stay, how to get there (rent a car, take the train, etc.). Between the boards and some websites we've used for hotel reviews, I think we'll do alright. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! ;) Thanks!

keep checking the availabilty of the suite on the aft with the huge wrap around. Although these cabins only hold 2 people it would hold all for of you.

I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure if I could ask my TA to make note of it or call Carnival or if I just have to keep checking daily. Thanks!

Archived