Question about Surcharge Restaurants

HighSeaslover

At DisneyWorld buffet restaurants they will allow you to show a note from the doctor, that states you had the surgery, and then you just need to pay children's prices. I don't know how they handle it at the regular restaurants if you order your own food, but they do allow sharing, and often plate it that way in the back. We have shared (just because they give you so much food), and did want to mention, that we tip as if we both had full meals. I can't see why you can't ask..but if you share, I would assume you would not get double of the sides/desserts and veggies, but one person would order and you would share. But it's speculation on my part.

Do the specialty restaurants on the ship have different children's prices?

I certainly hope the two of you never get old...... My parents no longer can eat a full meal by themselves. They, like a lot of older people, now order one meal to share between them. Sometimes they will order extra sides....but usually, my dad eats the salad and my mom eats the potatoe. Sometimes then get a dessert to share between them, sometimes not.

Why? Not because they can't afford it as they certainly can. It's simply because they no longer can eat as much food. (they will both be 79 within the next few months.) They were also raised during the depression and WW2 and were taught not to waste food. Two full meals on a cruise line (or many restaurants) mean that alot of food will be ordered and not eaten and hence have to be thrown out. To them, that is more wrong than sharing a meal.

On the Pearl this past summer, they shared a meal in Cagney's. They each got a salad/soup and they each got a side and they each got a dessert. They got one entree and split it....and guess what...were charged ONE cover charge and no one said a thing!

It is not tacky..... it is conservative. Why waste food?? What is tacky and disgusting is people who waste food!

Paying for ambiance??????? That may just be the funniest (or most arrogant) thing ever said on these boards!

I agree. DH and I now share our appetizer and salad at restaurants (on land). This enables us to eat our entrees. I do NOT wish to carry a "doggy bag" out of a restaurant...let alone eat re-heated food:eek:

Portions in many restaurants have become larger and larger in the past few years. Competition?

And they complain about fat Americans:rolleyes:

Even in the "finer" restaurants, the portions are larger.

We, too, can afford the price but were both brought up NOT to waste food.

When we dine at Cagney's or LeBistro on the ship, I always ask for the "smallest" filet mignon...the waiter/waitress' always laugh.

I, too, do not want them to waste food.

On our first cruise on the Dawn, we walked through the buffet. We, literally, saw "piles" of food on passengers trays. UGH...the food was not going anywhere..one course at a time would be fine;)

Chocoholic buffet nights, we walk back to our cabin and see all of the plates of uneaten chocolate cakes on the floor outside the cabins....unsanitary, tacky and disgusting:eek:

On our first cruise on the Dawn, we walked through the buffet. We, literally, saw "piles" of food on passengers trays. UGH...the food was not going anywhere..one course at a time would be fine;)

And this is the way a meal should be eaten at a buffet...obviating the need for tacky trays.

ill place a bet that the Thread starters next thread is going to be titled "How to remove the auto tipping"

All kidding aside, pay the surcharge! How cheap have people become. People complain that NCL is nickle and diming everyone, how about some passengers that nickle and dime thier operation! Your going on a cruise that probably cost over $2500 including flights, and your worried about a small surcharge?

Nick

I think you will find that NCL policy is per person, and possibly per special order.

BUT local ship policy may not follow,

So ask nicely and you may get the reduced cover charge if you share, same with double orders ask and you may not be charged I know I have done it without charge.

A lobster question....

Is lobster served at any time in the main dining rooms? I noticed that freestyle 2.0 indicates that lobster will be served at least once on each restaurants during the cruise. I am a huge lobster fan and look forward to it even though I know they are not of the top quality. On my Carnival cruise we had one night where it was served and I happily ate 3 tails along with the other items.

Thank you

I believe what NCL is trying to say is, that it's $10-20 per seat. If you enter a restaurant that has limited seating, you are paying for the space you take up, the table settings, the decor & ambiance. So unless you plan to sit on your partners lap, eat off their plate with your eyes closed, pay the extra surcharge and order whatever/however you want....geez.

Come on, people, we're talking about apples and oranges here. To the cruisers who only want to pay for one entree because they can't eat too much food, that's a little tacky but may be reasonable. But to the ones who plan to fill up on everything but the entree just to avoid the cover charge -- well, I'm sorry, but that's really out of line!!! I think the surcharge is meant to cover the ambiance, the better service, and the improved choices---- and you close out cruisers who genuinely want the whole experience. How far will this " It's my cruise so I can do what I want" mentality go???

I haven't looked at all the posts but just so you know we went to East Meets West on the Sun and sat down - NOT the Benehana thing where they serve you with other people. We ordered a la carte sushi, tempura and had a beer and saki wine (spelling?) for all of $10. You paid for the sushi by the order and the tempura as a plate. Debbie

Archived