New change on Continental re: lithium batteries

mrstay

Loose Lithium Batteries Banned in Checked Luggage

Effective Jan. 1, 2008, customers traveling within the United States will no longer be able to carry loose lithium batteries in their checked bags. Customers who need to bring along spare lithium batteries for laptops, cell phones and cameras may pack them in their carry-on luggage. This includes lithium batteries that are commonly used in electronic devices, such as cameras, cell phones and laptop computers. When bringing spare batteries in carry-on luggage, you will need to place them into plastic bags. The limit is two batteries per passenger.

Customers may still place electronic items in checked luggage with the batteries still inside the device.

Yup...another thing to slow down the lines.

I just wish they (TSA) would all operate on the same page...IAH makes me take my C-PAP out of the case, then swabs it after x-ray. MCO doesn't make me take it out for x-ray, but swabs it. MIA doesn't ask, look, or care...

This is a TSA change not just a Continental change.

I figured it was TSA but I couldn't find the change on their website, only at Continental's. Thanks though. Fortunately my Nikon D-80 only has two of the batteries. Next change they will probably stop us from carrying Ni-MH batteries on the plane. Can you imagine?!!!

Yup...another thing to slow down the lines.

I just wish they (TSA) would all operate on the same page...IAH makes me take my C-PAP out of the case, then swabs it after x-ray. MCO doesn't make me take it out for x-ray, but swabs it. MIA doesn't ask, look, or care...

We have had similar issues when my DH had a brace on his leg from hip to ankle. Boston wanted him to take it off, Denver swabbed it and San Fran wanded and let him through. We had checked and had printed off the rules about forcing you to remove a medical device. A supervisor intervened, swabbed and let him on the way.

I figured it was TSA but I couldn't find the change on their website, only at Continental's. Thanks though. Fortunately my Nikon D-80 only has two of the batteries. Next change they will probably stop us from carrying Ni-MH batteries on the plane. Can you imagine?!!!

There was another post on this that said it was because of a UPS plane fire. The fire was over a year ago and the change is happening now:confused:

Edit to add link to TSA site http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

The inconsistency from airport to airport is almost comical. And some of the arbitraty limits are just as bad.

A typical trip for me:

Walk up and show ID/boarding pass to TSA agent.

Walk 10 feet and show ID/boarding pass to another TSA agent who is in the middle of a conversation with the first one.

Take off boots

Take off belt

take off jacket

Take laptop out of bag

Take C-PAP out of bag

Walk thru

Wait for C-PAP to be swabed

Get in trouble for not positioning one of the previous items flat enough in the bin.

Get wanded because of not positioning something flat enough.

Get "reprimanded" for not gathering all of the above back up and getting out of the way fast enough.

Walking away wondering of any of them really knew what the 15 ounces of liquids, all separated into 3 ounce, look-alike generic bottles from Walgreens was, or did they even care.

Life in these United States...gotta love it!

The inconsistency from airport to airport is almost comical. And some of the arbitraty limits are just as bad.

A typical trip for me:

Walk up and show ID/boarding pass to TSA agent.

Walk 10 feet and show ID/boarding pass to another TSA agent who is in the middle of a conversation with the first one.

Take off boots

Take off belt

take off jacket

Take laptop out of bag

Take C-PAP out of bag

Walk thru

Wait for C-PAP to be swabed

Get in trouble for not positioning one of the previous items flat enough in the bin.

Get wanded because of not positioning something flat enough.

Get "reprimanded" for not gathering all of the above back up and getting out of the way fast enough.

Walking away wondering of any of them really knew what the 15 ounces of liquids, all separated into 3 ounce, look-alike generic bottles from Walgreens was, or did they even care.

Life in these United States...gotta love it!

If you really want a fun experience you should come through security with us. Hubby has the C-pap so you know that drill.

I broke the entire left side of my body almost 30 years ago and I have screws (8), pins (9), 2 metal rods,a replaced knee and several metal plates.If anything is giving me grief I could be wearing one or all of several different braces. You want to talk about scrutiny. It got so bad right after 9/11 that my doctor made me a small set of xrays to carry with me but I haven't had to use them in a while.

The lithium battery rule is actually a Dept of Transportation rule. They are just asking TSA to enforce it for them instead of creating another set of inspections travelers have to pass through (and instead of requiring hiring more workers to do so).

Archived