Any Recom for kids in FLL with an extra day

Ev1995

Hi we will be in Fll for a day and a half before our cruise, any recomendations on what a 7 and 11 yr old would have fun with. And the parents too:) It would be a Monday and a Tuesday. We intend to hit the beach, but what else is there that is a must do ?

We enjoyed the Miami zoo. Had a few things different, the flamingos and if I remember correctly (this was over 10 years ago) they had some interaction with an elephant (ride I think). Overall it was a pretty good experience. Not that far of a drive if you took the pay road (bring quarters). Of course that may not be true anymore either but I'm thinking the zoo is still there. :D

Yes of course the Miami Metro Zoo is still there and it is a wonderful zoo. If they want to stay closer to the FLL area I would recommend Museum of Science and Discovery. They also have an IMAX theater in there.

My husband and I used to go there before kids and so everyone will be entertained.

Miami: you have the Miami Seaquarium, Jungle Island (formally Parrot Jungle Island), Children's Museum, and you can go further west of FLL to the Sawgrass mall and go to Wannado City.

I am in Fort Lauderdale right now -- with my own toddler and other kids in our party...

1. Butterfly World -- its listed as the largest butterfly exhibit in the world...

2. Jungle Queen -- a dinner cruise through the "Venice of America"...

3. Museum of Science and Discovery -- as Sharon already described...

4. Water taxis

oh, and bring some warm clothes. We packed only clothes for the heat and it's a chilly 40 degrees down here!!

My parents live in Fort Lauderdale and we spend a lot of time there with our kids, ages 11, 9 and 4.

Ditto on some places already mentioned--the Museum of Science and Industry is great, and my kids enjoy Wannado city.

However, the activity my kids love most while in FLL is taking the airboat tours of the Everglades. The nearest tour companies are just 20 minutes west of downtown Fort Lauderdale.

I am in Fort Lauderdale right now -- with my own toddler and other kids in our party...

1. Butterfly World -- its listed as the largest butterfly exhibit in the world...

2. Jungle Queen -- a dinner cruise through the "Venice of America"...

3. Museum of Science and Discovery -- as Sharon already described...

4. Water taxis

oh, and bring some warm clothes. We packed only clothes for the heat and it's a chilly 40 degrees down here!!

OMG I live 5 minutes from Butterfly World and I forgot to mention it. :eek::p

Yes it is cold. YEAH we finally got winter. OK we really got winter. Coldest temps in a decade. :eek: Those coming in this weekend expect day time temps in the upper 70s which is normal for this time of year. I'm just so relieved to be out of the mid 80s and all that humidity.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get out to the Sawgrass Mills mall (maybe 15-20 miles west of the beach), you should try Wannado City. It is hard to explain, but it is an indoor amusement park where kids take on various jobs, earn "money" and then have opportunities to spend the "money." It was a great adventure for our daughter, and I recommend it highly. There is a website if you would like to check it out.

Archived