saona island

tango9

The Destiny will soon be going to Romana and I will be there on it in February. I had been in Romana on the Jubiliee several years ago, but I don't remember many shore excursions. we just took a cab to Altos de Chevron and the beach;very nice. My question is: Carnival has a tour on a speed boat from Bayhabib Beach to Saona for $110 per person. Does anyone know if there is any other way to get there? Like at the Bayhabib beach are there individuals who will take you there on their boats for a fee? And what is at Saona Island?

I've been to Saona Island 5 years ago - staying at Viva Dominicus Palace (in Bayahibe). We booked the excursion at the concierge desk at the hotel, some I'm guessing that you can book it there at a hotel. I plan on going to Saona Island when I'm there on Feb 2nd (Carnival Destiny), but I am going to try to book it prior to leaving - I'm still searching and will reply back if I find an excursion outside of the ship. $110 is steep, but might be the option.

As for the Island - very very nice! The sand doesn't get whiter than Saona Island. When I was there 5 years ago I was with a very small group, as it was not a cruise destination at that time, so things may have changed. Either way, I want to go back.

• 11 months later...

I just got back from our Carnival Splendor christmas cruise. We took the Carnival speedboat excursion to Saona Island and it was the best excursion we have had so far.

We were there on Christmas Eve and the excursion departed from the curiseship dock. The speedboat ride was nice and not too crazy at all. There were rain storms that day, so we took our time to get to the island, avoiding the rain cloud and stopping mid way to the island for a couple of glases of rum punch (at 9 am!)

At the island, it was pretty deserted at first, then other speedboats started to arrive. The beach sand and souroundings are beatifull. Great for pictures. But there is a lot of coral to step on in the shallows--bring water shoes. If you snorkel with your own gear, you can probably have a really good time there, but need to watch as many boats start to arrive.

There are a couple of shops there selling necklaces, cigars, paintings, and tshirts. The prices are ok and you can negotiate hard for deals. The prices are as good or even better than some shops in La Romana.

I did not notice any bars or food vendors but our excursion hosts made sure we were not thirsty. The rum and dominican beer were plentiful on the island too.

On the way back, we stopped at the natural swimming pool where the sea is only 4 ft deep. We had a few more rums and beer there. By the time we were riding back, we were all pretty much whopping and hollering. It was a lot of fun!

If you were not partaking in the rum, you might have been annoyed with all the crazies on this excursion. Regardless, Maximo and Lina made this a really fun excursion and Lina was very entertaining and funny hostess.

The $110 excursion was a lot cheaper if you factor-in the cost of rum punch at cruise ship prices.

Marc

Archived