Seattle area -Hotel to Pier 66

Kaki

We will be staying at SpringHill Suites/Renton pre-cruise. We plan to rent a car for the 4 days we will be in the area and drop the car off at Thrifty car rental before boarding the ship. What is the traffic like on Sunday's? How much time should we allow to drive from our hotel to the pier?

Anything other that the freeway would require a GPS and likely take longer than the freeway route.

Personally on a Sunday morning, I would guess your drive will be much closer to 45 minutes or less.

From your hotel take I-405 west and then north on I-5 then immediately take hwy 599 into Seattle instead of I-5. There is much less traffic.

• 1 month later...

Question for Karen:)

Ok, I am back to planning the trip to the ship from the hotel (and getting around Seattle pre-cruise) I have detailed street maps printed for the area between the hotel and downtown. I see that there are a lot of dead ends if one tries to drive "back streets". So, what is a good route to take to get into Seattle other than the interstate?

Yes, I understand that I am probably OCD:D Yes, I overplan!!! Planning is just so much fun!!!

Kathleen

From Renton take the 599 over to the 5, cross over the freeway and you will see a United Groceries warehouse. Just before you get to that building, there is a ramp downward to Airport Way. That will take you all the way downtown to 4th Av South, which goes right by Safeco Field and QWest Field. From there most downtown streets are one way, other than 3rd Av and 1st Av which go both ways. 4th Av is one way INTO downtown.

Karen

lol, I read your first post, got out my maps and searched and searched for that 499 out of Renton:confused: Then, I read the next post about hwy 900:D

What kind of traffic will this route have during the week and then on Sunday morning?

Also, where is your blog?

Thank you!!

Kathleen

During the week.......bad. On Sunday morning early, it should not be horrendous (unless, of course, there is a day Mariners or Seahawks game on the Sunday in question), though traffic cannot EVER be said to be good here at any time.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you, but I can't right this minute or I would get banned, since I'm a travel agent and it would be considered to be "advertising" just like my photo gallery URL had to be removed from my sig line for the same reason (though it had nothing to do with my being a travel agent, just my private pix of my cruises and other trips, et cetera). Ask me again next week, when I have removed the last of my contact e-mail from my posts and then I will be able to tell you, because it will then be, as they say of the Rose Bowl telecasts on some channels: "commercial free." :D

Karen,

I looked at the schedule for the games and I don't think there is a game that weekend (6/8/08). I don't think we will have a problem following that route since I have printed enlarged maps of the city streets and the route from Renton to downtwon Seattle. I found a website that shows park and ride lots related to the city bus system, I am not a fan of riding a bus but, that is an option for us also.

Kathleen

kaki5591@hotmail.com

I think they are out of town that weekend, because they are back for a homestand on my daughter's birthday (the 18th) and they are generally home every other week, so you should not have a problem there.

Most of the transit centers and transit park & rides don't allow more than day parking, so that is probably not an option for you, either. But you should be fine getting downtown the way that I told you without too many opportunities to get lost. Just keep an eye on street names and it should be no biggie. (If you get lost, you can call me and I'll set you straight :) )

Archived