NCL Dream vs. NCL Majesty

lovn2liv

Can anyone who has sailed on both ships tell me if the Dream is less "worn" and if the public areas (especially pool deck) is better suited than the Majesty to accommodate passengers.

I'm looking for your experiences first hand on comparing the two when it comes to wear and tear, etc.

Thank you

The biggest advantage of the Dream over the Majesty would be the cabins. The Majesty has no balconies at all. As far as wear and tear, I think the Majesty cabins show more years than the Dream. Public spaces are about equal, in my opinion.

The biggest advantage of the Dream over the Majesty would be the cabins. The Majesty has no balconies at all. As far as wear and tear, I think the Majesty cabins show more years than the Dream. Public spaces are about equal, in my opinion.

Did you find the pool decks on the Dream as crowded as it was on the Majesty?? On sea days you couldn't walk from one end of the pool deck to the other because it was so crowded.(on the Majesty)

Did you find the pool decks on the Dream as crowded as it was on the Majesty?? On sea days you couldn't walk from one end of the pool deck to the other because it was so crowded.(on the Majesty)

The Dream is definitely better in that respect. The aft pool was a nice bonus and very quiet on my cruise.

I agree with earlier responders. Since both ships were built in the same year, everything on both ships is the same age.

The Dream has slightly larger and nicer cabins than the Majesty. The Majesty has the better cafe/buffet. The Dream has two pools vs the one on the Majesty. The Dream has balcony cabins and suites, the Majesty doesn't.

Please keep it coming...I'm really torn between sailing out of Boston on an older ship (Dream) vs. taking the 4 hour drive to NY and sailing on the Dawn. I've sailed on the majesty, and wasn't sure if the Dream is a match to the Majesty in age and condition, or significantly better condition.

I didn't realize you were comparing the Dawn to the Dream. I would pick the Dawn every time, and I've never even cruised on her before. While the Dream (to me) is a better pick than the Majesty, the Dawn is in a whole 'nother class. Don't get me wrong, I love both the Majesty and the Dream and would sail them again in a heartbeat. But you'll be better off on the Dawn. :)

We were on the majesty 5 yrs ago... the dream 3 and 2 yrs ago.. the Dream was nicer/bigger/fresher. My wife loved the quite/almsot lost aft pool. It was always empty, and she was able to have her own space!!! Neither is going to be as nice as the Dawn, as neither is made for freestyle. Although the Dream was stretched. The only thing I did nto like about the Dream si you have to walk through the Four Seasons on deck 7 to get from the front to the back fo the ship. But we were on the Dream twice and would sail ehr again!!! probably never go on the Majesty again!

If you wish for a newer, bigger, and better conditioned ship choose the Dawn. She also has more speciality restaurants, and the Le Bistro restaurant, the only surcharged restaurant on both the Dream and Majesty is larger. But there is a price to be paid, the Dawn can only dock at Kings Warf where as both the Dream and Majesty can dock at St. George and Hamiliton, not to mention spending another day in Bermuda.

The Dream is bigger, and slightly better suited for freestyle than the Majesty, but still not the best representative of the freestyle cruising experience. Neither ship was designed for Freestyle cruising and it will become apparent at times. The decor seemed fine to me last time we were on her. Had a great time aboard both ships, but would choose the Dream if I had to choose between the two.

I sailed the Majesty and swore I wouldn't sail on it again, only because there are so many other "newer" options out there. My concern was that the Dream will be the same experience as the Majesty that I had. In that case, I would opt to sail from NY.

My dilemma is, a group of friends are hell bent on sailing out of Boston (less than an hour drive) vs. NY 4 hour + depending on traffic. I want to travel with the group from Boston only if the Dream is multiple steps up from the Majesty. I adore my friends, and it is a tough call, but I like sailing on a ship that impresses me too. The Majesty just didn't do it for me. But we had a blast with our friends when we sailed on the Majesty. I'd like the best of both worlds. If the Dream isn't multiple steps up from the Majesty, then we'll be meeting them in Bermuda...but sailing on different ships.

No doubt the Dawn has it over the Dream. But does the Dream have it WAY over the Majesty? Some of you have given me some wonderful insight, and I appreciate it. But is the Dream a few steps up in decor/newness/and wow factor than the Majesty. "Don't mean to be a pain".....

Thanks everyone.

You aren't being a pain. Picking the right ship is always a big decision. I do think the Dream is a step above the Majesty in what you are considering. Four Seasons and Seven Seas are pretty much the same on the Dream, but Trattoria is very nice (aft Italian with a great view). Also the deck space is better and there is that aft pool. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Dream at all, as long as you understand going in that she wasn't built for Freestyle. I had a long and detailed review of the Dream....let me see if I can find it.

I don't know if this will help, but it can't hurt:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=482642&highlight=dream+review+1%2F20%2F07

That review has done it for me...along with other observations and experiences on this thread, I won't be too concerned about sailing this ship. Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.

That review has done it for me...along with other observations and experiences on this thread, I won't be too concerned about sailing this ship. Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.

No need to thank me. I've learned tons from reading this board. No one can predict how you'll like a ship but I'm glad you could take my review and learn from it. I had just sailed the Majesty in December and then was on the Dream in January so it was close together. Have a great time. :)

Please keep it coming...I'm really torn between sailing out of Boston on an older ship (Dream) vs. taking the 4 hour drive to NY and sailing on the Dawn. I've sailed on the majesty, and wasn't sure if the Dream is a match to the Majesty in age and condition, or significantly better condition.

I've sailed Jewel but not Dawn--as well as two cruises each on Majesty (both to Bermuda) and Dream (Alaska and trans-Atlantic). Living in the Boston area, I wouldn't consider at all driving to New York to take the Dawn when I can simply go to Black Falcon, board Dream, and go to the same destination--and a nicer place to dock at that. But the "glamor" of ships means much less to me than destination.

Both ships are showing their age and the Dream has had its share of accidents and mechanical problems in the past. NCL generally selects older ships for the South America run and they were using the Majesty before the Dream.

If I had the choice of sailing out of either New York or Boston, I'd choose NY every time. There is nothing else like it. Take the Dawn.

Thank you for your review. We've done the Majesty twice out of Boston - once before it was stretched and Freestyle and then again after it was Freestyle. Would not go on it again. We've done the Dawn twice out of NY (the FL/Bahamas route) and loved the ship - hated the trip to NY. There is nothing like leaving the house at 11am and being on the ship an hour later - or in reverse, leaving the ship at 10am and being home an hour later.

We've booked the Dream for May - and after reading this thread feel so much better about it. I love being docked at St Georges and even though the Dawn is my favorite ship - we're spending 3 days in port so where that port is has to count for a lot.

It seems that the the Dream is better than the Majesty but not as good as the Dawn - but with the Boston embarcation and the St George docking it's the way to go.

Thank you for your review. We've done the Majesty twice out of Boston - once before it was stretched and Freestyle and then again after it was Freestyle. Would not go on it again. We've done the Dawn twice out of NY (the FL/Bahamas route) and loved the ship - hated the trip to NY. There is nothing like leaving the house at 11am and being on the ship an hour later - or in reverse, leaving the ship at 10am and being home an hour later.

We've booked the Dream for May - and after reading this thread feel so much better about it. I love being docked at St Georges and even though the Dawn is my favorite ship - we're spending 3 days in port so where that port is has to count for a lot.

It seems that the the Dream is better than the Majesty but not as good as the Dawn - but with the Boston embarcation and the St George docking it's the way to go.

Take the Dream this summer, enjoy a St. George welcoming ceremony one last time. In 2009, take the Spirit to King's Wharf.

Archived