Papeete Questions

scubarn1

Does anyone know how long it takes to circle the island on LeTruck?

Also are taxi's available at the cruise ship dock for circle island tours, or should we have advance reservations with a tour company?

Thanks, Karen

The old Le Truck system is being updated and replaced with Busscars. I wouldn't recommend taking Le Truck around the island if you have any sort of back problem. The seating is basically wooden benches that have been thown into the back of a truck. The ones we've ridden in had no or little suspension (or so it seemed). The Busscars are much more comfortable.

Go to the bookstore and check into Jan Price's Tahiti. She has tons of info on the routes and which bus you need to take to get where. The book is pricy, but it's one of the best books we've found for the islands. new one should be out soon (Feb. last I heard - Amazon.com has the best price if you want to buy a copy. i'd be lost without ours).

Taxies are easy to find at the dock, but Laurie is right, fix your price up front to avoid some surprises. We took a circle island tour from the hotel as part of our precruise package and it was a fun day. Just be sure that the company has a van/bus/car with functioning A/C. Ours didn't and we had one of our passengers nearly pass out from the heat. He wasn't used to the heat and humidity.

Charlie

Charlie

Archived