Best Alaska Cruise Line for an infant?

ceilidh1

However, with three adults going on the trip, we figured this would be manageable as we could switch off staying with the baby and no one would ever have to eat alone. In fact, we were not even planning on taking the baby into the dining room and would make use of the casual dining, such as buffet and room service. As for missing excursions, once again that is what we were expecting anyways but as long as at least two of us can do some of the things I don't see that it is an issue we would need to cancel our trip over. This is a very important trip for my friend (who is terminally ill) and we just want to make it the best possible experience that she could have - if this means going on a different ship with a different itinerary, so be it.

I really appreciate the comments and advice from people who have actually done this trip with a child under two, as it does seem perfectly do-able providing you know what to expect and are realistic!

My only suggestion is that you re-think your dining plans. I also planned at first to not use the dining room when I took my 13 month old twins. One of the head waiters saw us in the buffet the first night and insisted that parents are the ones who most need to be served so I should try the dining room. After that we every meal in the dining room - including breakfast and lunch. It is much easier to show up at dinner when the high chair is all set up, along with your child's favorite food (my girls loved the bread sticks, and their fettucinni alfredo was delivered as soon as we sat down). We only had to leave once due to bad behavior. At least give it a try. It's so much more relaxing to be served than to be going back and forth to the buffet - and it's better quality time together that way as well. My girls were always entertained by little toys I attached to their high chair and the bustle of activity.

I'm so used to people trying to talk me out of cruises - I'm glad you've made the right choice for you. No one thought I should take my husband when he was very ill, but it was the very best way to travel with him, and there is great peace to be found at sea. And everyone told me to forget a cruise with toddlers, but I found many people here who cruised happily with their little ones and now my girls are 3 and have been on 4 cruises - three of them on Princess.

Just a note - both with my husband and with our twins, I've found it helpful to book cabins as close to the elevators as possible.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Thanks everyone...we are definitely sticking with the Tahitian cruise - I will let you all know how it goes! I am going to check on the pricing now (thanks for the suggestion), although last time I looked they had a waiting list for balconies, so there probably isn't too much hope!

Archived