Sloth sanctuary tour or Oscar Brown?

lowestar

Hi,

I have booked (for now) a tour with Princess that visits the Sloth Santuary. Going with my two kids (ages 5 and *). Does anyone know if you can hold a sloth at the sloth sanctuary?

I am also considering cancelling the Princess tour, and instead opting for one of Oscar Brown's tours. I looked at his tour #5 (visiting the sloth sanctuary), but his sister Carol tells me that tour #1 is very popular with kids. It doesn't go to the sloth sanctuary, but it looks like he stops at someone's house and they can hold a sloth. I think it also goes to the Tortuguero (sp?) Canal, banana plantation, etc.

Any thoughts on which one would be more appealing to kids of that age? Does anyone know if you can hold a sloth at the sanctuary?

Any opinions welcomed!!!!

Tara

We did Oscar and Carole's #1 Tour last May!

It's the one you want! Oscar is in no rush to get you through the tour. He stops at a friend's house and you can hold the sloths, the monkeys and see other animals as well. (You should tip his friend....this is how he earns his living.)

The tour to the banana plantation is fascinating and not to be missed.

Then it's on to the the canal. The boat trip on the canal is fascinating if your kids are into wildlife. Our boat stopped at a house near the edge of the canal where a young boy showed the passengers his pet Caman and a tortoise. (Most of us tipped him too.)

Then it was up to the highest point of Limon through a residential district where we stopped and looked down on the pier and the ship in the harbour!

About four hours and a bit....great narration....small group in the A/C van....no rush....got some of the best pictures on the trip. Oscar is agreat guy. It is not an expensive tour ...but it is money well spent!

By the way....there is some incredible shopping on the far side of the dock area, (where the container ships line up), about a block from the ship. My wife got four pounds of top grade Costa Rica coffee for $20USD....some really nice wood work...and some textiles called Mole...(sp???) that is beautiful.

It is HOT and HUMID the later in the season you go...plan for it when you leave the ship!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a tour with Oscar Brown. We did NOT go to the friend's house to see the sloths. I am not sure why and am disappointed that we didn't go. We were put with another couple who was going zip lining and that, I believe, cut into our time. So, be careful if you really want to hold the sloths.

For kids, the boat ride on the canal was good. The banana plantation was not operating that day so not much to see.

Regarding your question about the Sloth Sanctuary Tour, we took this tour in December. I too wanted to hold a sloth and I had the opportunity in Cartagena. I held it while my husband took several photos and tipped the guy. However, at the sloth sanctuary I learned much more about these adorable creatures. The people who run the sanctuary have devoted much of their life to caring for injured and abandoned sloths. They will tell you that many die early because humans who view them as "money makers" mishandle them. They show a short film about sloths, show you ones being cared for and no, you can’t hold one, but you can have your picture taken standing by one. You then take a canoe ride down a river that runs through their property. Not a quick motorized trip but rather one with a guide paddling. Very quiet and peaceful. We saw birds and iguanas plus beautiful flowers. A short guided nature walk ending with buffet table with fresh fruit and water to drink followed this. After that you are invited to see the baby sloths up close, ask questions and visit their gift shop. For young children this may be more then enough. It can be hot and humid. On the way back we saw Howler monkeys in trees along the road. We enjoyed the tour very much and would recommend it. Here’s a link to their website:

http://www.ogphoto.com/aviarios/index.htm

After going to this special place I was sorry I encouraged mistreatment by paying to have my picture taken holding a sloth.

<<<Karen>>>

We are going on Azamara Quest on March 15. Can you tell me how to reach Oscar Brown tours? thank you so much

We did Oscar and Carole's #1 Tour last May!

It's the one you want! Oscar is in no rush to get you through the tour. He stops at a friend's house and you can hold the sloths, the monkeys and see other animals as well. (You should tip his friend....this is how he earns his living.)

The tour to the banana plantation is fascinating and not to be missed.

Then it's on to the the canal. The boat trip on the canal is fascinating if your kids are into wildlife. Our boat stopped at a house near the edge of the canal where a young boy showed the passengers his pet Caman and a tortoise. (Most of us tipped him too.)

Then it was up to the highest point of Limon through a residential district where we stopped and looked down on the pier and the ship in the harbour!

About four hours and a bit....great narration....small group in the A/C van....no rush....got some of the best pictures on the trip. Oscar is agreat guy. It is not an expensive tour ...but it is money well spent!

By the way....there is some incredible shopping on the far side of the dock area, (where the container ships line up), about a block from the ship. My wife got four pounds of top grade Costa Rica coffee for $20USD....some really nice wood work...and some textiles called Mole...(sp???) that is beautiful.

It is HOT and HUMID the later in the season you go...plan for it when you leave the ship!!!

I hope no one takes offense.

When I saw the title of the thread, I couldn't help but think "Sloth Sanctuary" would be a great name for a cruise ship.

Harris

Denver, CO

I just laughed and laughed when I read your comment! I think most people think that is what sloths are anyways. Most of my friends didn't know that there were animals named sloths. I plan on being a total sloth next wk on my cruise! After all thats what vacations are for, for us poor working sloths! No offense taken here. :D

My husband and I will be on the Coral Princess in March and I want to hold a sloth as well so have done some investigation. I have heard back from the Sloth Sanctuary directly as well as from Oscar Brown that you cannot hold the sloths at the Aviarios Sanctuary. If this is what you want to do then I have discovered (from reviews on this site as well as from email from Oscar Brown and Charlie Soto-Okey Dokey tours) that both Charlie and Oscar include visitng a friend where you can hold a sloth during their Tortugero Canal/Banana Plantation tours. I am leaning toward the tour with Charlie at this point as the fee also includes lunch at the beach.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Regarding your question about the Sloth Sanctuary Tour, we took this tour in December. I too wanted to hold a sloth and I had the opportunity in Cartagena. I held it while my husband took several photos and tipped the guy. However, at the sloth sanctuary I learned much more about these adorable creatures. The people who run the sanctuary have devoted much of their life to caring for injured and abandoned sloths. They will tell you that many die early because humans who view them as "money makers" mishandle them. They show a short film about sloths, show you ones being cared for and no, you can’t hold one, but you can have your picture taken standing by one. You then take a canoe ride down a river that runs through their property. Not a quick motorized trip but rather one with a guide paddling. Very quiet and peaceful. We saw birds and iguanas plus beautiful flowers. A short guided nature walk ending with buffet table with fresh fruit and water to drink followed this. After that you are invited to see the baby sloths up close, ask questions and visit their gift shop.

Karen, however did you get to hold a sloth in Cartagena??? I would LOVE to do this when we stop there on our cruise in April.

I would love to go to the sloth sanctuary as well. We will be going to Puntarenes, Costa Rica--is the sanctuary accessible from this port? I saw it listed as an excursion option for another port, but not for Puntarenes. Thanks so much for any info!

Regarding your question about the Sloth Sanctuary Tour, we took this tour in December. I too wanted to hold a sloth and I had the opportunity in Cartagena. I held it while my husband took several photos and tipped the guy. However, at the sloth sanctuary I learned much more about these adorable creatures. The people who run the sanctuary have devoted much of their life to caring for injured and abandoned sloths. They will tell you that many die early because humans who view them as "money makers" mishandle them. They show a short film about sloths, show you ones being cared for and no, you can’t hold one, but you can have your picture taken standing by one. You then take a canoe ride down a river that runs through their property. Not a quick motorized trip but rather one with a guide paddling. Very quiet and peaceful. We saw birds and iguanas plus beautiful flowers. A short guided nature walk ending with buffet table with fresh fruit and water to drink followed this. After that you are invited to see the baby sloths up close, ask questions and visit their gift shop.

Karen, however did you get to hold a sloth in Cartagena??? I would LOVE to do this when we stop there on our cruise in April.

I would love to go to the sloth sanctuary as well. We will be going to Puntarenes, Costa Rica--is the sanctuary accessible from this port? I saw it listed as an excursion option for another port, but not for Puntarenes. Thanks so much for any info!

Sorry btobey, I just saw your post. We were on the Coral Princess and took a tour called "The Best of Cartagena". The man with the sloth followed the tour buses around to the various stops and I was able to connect with him when we had free time to do some shopping. I’m sure you’ll see him if you take a tour. Keep in mind, though, that he is making money with the sloth and probably not treating it very well. Maybe it’s better to just look. I wish I had rather then paid for the photo.

Your ship will be docking on the Pacific side, Puntarenes is located there. The Sloth Sanctuary is on the Caribbean side just south of Limon. It would be a long ride over and back making for a very long day.

Have fun on your cruise!

Karen

We took the tour with Charlie Soto's Okey Dokey tours last month. It was just as has been described. Not rushed and keen to give us a good time. I would recommend it from personal experience There was a 10 year old boy in our group and he loved every minute of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the sloth sanctuary tour through our cruise ship, the Carnival Miracle. I loved the tour. The people at the sanctuary are very knowledgeable about the sloths. We all got our picture taken with an adult sloth, Buttercup. We saw the movie, took a nice canoe ride and a short hike in the jungle area, then got to see the baby sloths. I lost my heart to them! They are so adorable and want so much to touch and play with us but we were told not to touch them as we could give them germs they are not equipped to handle. I was quite happy to give a monetary donation to the sanctuary. THis was the highlight of my cruise for me. I have some adorable pictures of the baby sloths but can't download them right now. I will try to do that at a later date. I highly recommend going there, no matter how you get there.

Archived