Need A Little Help...san Pedro Question???????

looking to do a cruise on the mariner of the sea's in either late frebruary of 2009 or early march...we have sailed out of san juan...miami and ft lauderdale but never have done the mexican riviera...this departs from san pedro in southern california...we are getting conflicting info...so here is were the help is needed...we want to fly in a day prior to saIling...which airport is closer to san pedro...lax or orange county...someone in our group was told that the cab ride from one of these two airportS was $50 per person to the pier...that's crazy...were trying to find out whcih airport would be closer to the pier and some hotels near the port that maybe reasonably priced...THANKS...

We live in Long Beach--about 20 minutes from the port of Los Angeles (San Pedro). LAX is closer than Orange County airport. Long Beach airport is even closer although there may not get a flight to LB from where you live.

The taxi may be about $60-70 per taxi. Super Shuttle is probably cheaper. Check on the website www.supershuttle.com.

Sometimes the hotels in downtown Long Beach have cruise specials. We have a lot of the major chains--Hyatt, Marriott, etc. I haven't checked in a while about prices for out-of-town cruisers.

We have been on the Vision may times to the Mexican Rivera and have 3 cruises booked on the Mariner when she comes in 2009.

Hope this helps start your search.

I'll concur with BDOMINGER, but would also like to add a few thoughts.

Orange County is further, yes, but it's not horribly far, maybe another 15-20 miles. If you plan on going to Disneyland before or after the cruise, then it would be the better choice of airports, otherwise don't bother with it.

Long Beach is by far the most pleasant to fly in and out of of all three airports, usually I can find better airfare out of LBG than the other two. We live a lot closer to SNA (Orange County) but will drive to LGB, depending on our destination.

Traffic to and from any of the choices can be brutal, not so much on weekends, so do allow plenty of time and don't try to get the first flight out on a weekday morning if you are flying home the same day as you disembark the ship.

We used Primetime Shuttle from LAX to Our Long Beach hotel (Renaissance). This was two years ago and the rate was $32 pp round trip. The Renaissance was about $110 per night(senior rate) and about a 5-10 minute cab ride(about $10-12) from the pier in San Pedro. We were very pleased with both the shuttle and the hotel. There are hotels in San Pedro as well, but not as much to see and do as in Long Beach. Have a great cruise!

looking to do a cruise on the mariner of the sea's in either late frebruary of 2009 or early march...we have sailed out of san juan...miami and ft lauderdale but never have done the mexican riviera...this departs from san pedro in southern california...we are getting conflicting info...so here is were the help is needed...we want to fly in a day prior to saIling...which airport is closer to san pedro...lax or orange county...someone in our group was told that the cab ride from one of these two airportS was $50 per person to the pier...that's crazy...were trying to find out whcih airport would be closer to the pier and some hotels near the port that maybe reasonably priced...THANKS...
We've been to San Pedro twice. The 1st time we flew into LAX and took the RCI ground transportation to San Pedro... will never do that again. We took a cab back to LAX after that cruise. I think we paid around $55 (total, not per person) including tip for the cab fare... it was almost 3 years ago and I don't remember the exact amount.

The 2nd time was a repo cruise from Vancouver to San Pedro. When we got in, we took a cab from San Pedro to John Wayne airport in Orange County for $85 (total, not per person) including tip. Cab fare was kind of high but we would go that route again if we ever go to San Pedro again. John Wayne (SNA) is so much smaller and less busy than LAX. Long Beach wasn't an option for us.

Tim

We flew into Orange County on our last cruise out of San Pedro. The Shuttle fare was $48 for 2 people to the cruise ship. It was about a 20-25 minute ride. We prefer to fly into Orange County over LAX for several reasons, one being the price. It is cheaper for us to fly into Orange County than LAX. Another plus, Orange County airport is sooo much easier to get around than LAX. We stayed in downtown Long Beach the night before the cruise which was great. Lots of restaurants, shopping, things to see and very easy to get around with out a car.

You can price out shuttle services online and get an estimate of your cost for your group.

There is lots of excellent information on the West Coast Cruise Ports forum. I learned everything I needed from the folks who post regularly over there, including the SuperShuttle (works both ways!) and the Crowne Plaza hotel for the night before.

I've also set up a Los Angeles cruise port map, which shows all the important landmarks, including the various airports.

Theron

P.S. I just noticed that Google has updated their satellite imagery of the Los Angeles area. It's very recent, showing construction that is still under way near the Crowne Plaza hotel.

Archived