Does a 4-year old tip?

Simmons

[quote name='jts510']The tips were automatically added to my accounts and the tips the CRUISE LINE added for my child was 1/2 the adult amount. And if you brainiacs went to the tipping website and added a child to the equation, you would see that the total amount for a standard tip included HALF for the child. As I stated before, for the mathematically challenged, get out your calculators and you will see that the total includes HALF for the child. What I have stated are facts and personal experience with what the cruise lines add to the onboard account in an attempt to help the original poster. If one wants to tip more, then do it. But if one wants the tips automatically added to their account, it will be done at 1/2 adult rate for the child. Period![/quote]

Thinking that you are a TA...my goodness...the advice you'd give your customers...sad...very sad.

[quote name='jts510'][COLOR=red]The tips were automatically added to my accounts and the tips the CRUISE LINE added for my child was 1/2 the adult amount.[/COLOR] And if you brainiacs went to the tipping website and added a child to the equation, you would see that the total amount for a standard tip included HALF for the child. As I stated before, for the mathematically challenged, get out your calculators and you will see that the total includes HALF for the child. What I have stated are facts and personal experience with what the cruise lines add to the onboard account in an attempt to help the original poster. If one wants to tip more, then do it. [COLOR=red]But if one wants the tips automatically added to their account, it will be done at 1/2 adult rate for the child.[/COLOR] Period![/quote]

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][COLOR=purple]NOT on Royal Caribbean.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='jts510']What part of THE SHIP ADDED THE AMOUNT TO MY ACCOUNT do you not understand? I don't care what the RCCL webpage says, I have stated numerous times from personal experience the reality of the situation. All you people posting this and that are not even speaking from experience with kids and tipping so just keep it to yourself. Go tell the guy who did the tipping page he is wrong, I don't really care anymore. The facts are from personal experience the cruise lines my child has been on (NCL, Carnival & RCCL) ALL automatically added her tip as 1/2 the adult rate. I guess on my next cruise I will tell the Purser they don't know what they are doing and you guys with absolutely no experience in this matter, know more than they do. Hopefully, I have helped the original poster with facts from personal experience instead of confusing comments from so called experts that have no experience in this matter at all.[/quote]
Sorry jts510 but you are incorrect. We've cruised with our son at 11 months, 25 months, and 37 months old and we add the gratuities to our seapass and it is *always* the same as us. To the OP, please tip the full rate for your child, and if he/she is high maintenance consider tipping extra!

[quote name='jts510']What part of THE SHIP ADDED THE AMOUNT TO MY ACCOUNT do you not understand? I don't care what the RCCL webpage says, I have stated numerous times from personal experience the reality of the situation. All you people posting this and that are not even speaking from experience with kids and tipping so just keep it to yourself. Go tell the guy who did the tipping page he is wrong, I don't really care anymore. The facts are from personal experience the cruise lines my child has been on (NCL, Carnival & RCCL) ALL automatically added her tip as 1/2 the adult rate. I guess on my next cruise I will tell the Purser they don't know what they are doing and you guys with absolutely no experience in this matter, know more than they do. Hopefully, I have helped the original poster with facts from personal experience instead of confusing comments from so called experts that have no experience in this matter at all.[/quote]

Wow, another newbie with a great attitude:rolleyes: .

So your "experience" is so much superior to all the others that posted here about theirs when cruising with children:rolleyes:

I don´t see the need to go and tell Theron his tipping calculator is wrong. I followed your advise and went over, took my calculator and .....

surprise.....

the Tipping Calculator showed the same amount for a kid as for an adult when choosing Royal Caribbean:rolleyes: .

[quote name='jts510']I am talking from personal experience...not only with RCCL but also with Carnival and NCL and they are all the same. [/QUOTE]

Our personal experience is from feb. on the Vision. We went to the purser's desk and signed up for tips to be charged to us (DW, DS9, me). We were charged the full amount for 3 people.

Our other personal experience is two cruises on NCL. We also charged our tips (I don't think we had a choice). On that cruise they charged us the full amount for DW and me. They charged half the amount for DS.

[quote name='jts510']The tips were automatically added to my accounts and the tips the CRUISE LINE added for my child was 1/2 the adult amount. And if you brainiacs went to the tipping website and added a child to the equation, you would see that the total amount for a standard tip included HALF for the child. As I stated before, for the mathematically challenged, get out your calculators and you will see that the total includes HALF for the child. What I have stated are facts and personal experience with what the cruise lines add to the onboard account in an attempt to help the original poster. If one wants to tip more, then do it. But if one wants the tips automatically added to their account, it will be done at 1/2 adult rate for the child. Period![/QUOTE]

You are wrong but will argue to the end of the world. The website states the full amount for a passenger of any age. That is the policy on RCI. Perhaps Carnival, Disney, Joe Schmoe or whomever you have sailed on only tells you half for children.

Theron made up a website for tipping. He did it as a COURTESY for those who didn't know the tipping policy. Obviously, you read what you want to read on it. Sorry for you.

[quote name='jts510']The tips were automatically added to my accounts and the tips the CRUISE LINE added for my child was 1/2 the adult amount. And if you brainiacs went to the tipping website and added a child to the equation, you would see that the total amount for a standard tip included HALF for the child. As I stated before, for the mathematically challenged, get out your calculators and you will see that the total includes HALF for the child. What I have stated are facts and personal experience with what the cruise lines add to the onboard account in an attempt to help the original poster. If one wants to tip more, then do it. But if one wants the tips automatically added to their account, it will be done at 1/2 adult rate for the child. Period![/quote]You sound as if you are proud of the fact that you under tip.You know in your heart that they have more work to do with a child in the room so don't try to justify this, just say this is what you do not what is right.JMHO

[quote name='Woe is me']Anybody that says their 3 year old is getting ready for her 4th cruise is kind of out there, somewhere?:confused:[/quote]

Nah. This may be my son's first cruise coming up, but he's been on several cruise-length vacations already and he's not yet three. I just thought it was more important to start the Disney brainwashing first. :D

We plan on tipping in full for my munchkin. He isn't the world's messiest eater (anymore) but he will require work at the dinner table. He'll have a separate bed in the cabin that will need to be made. (Which he will then proceed to ignore and sleep in our bed.) He will have a million Cars that the attendant will have to carefully navigate around on a regular basis.

[quote name='katerkat']Nah. This may be my son's first cruise coming up, but he's been on several cruise-length vacations already and he's not yet three. I just thought it was more important to start the Disney brainwashing first. :D

We plan on tipping in full for my munchkin. He isn't the world's messiest eater (anymore) but he will require work at the dinner table. He'll have a separate bed in the cabin that will need to be made. (Which he will then proceed to ignore and sleep in our bed.) He will have a million Cars that the attendant will have to carefully navigate around on a regular basis.[/quote]

You'll find the staff will probably love to dote on your little one, as many of them are missing their own children back at home.

This thread raises questions about the source of the information used to provide the Cruise Tip Calculator. It is my policy to never personally recommend tip amounts, including those for children. Rather, the web page attempts to provide a mathematical implementation of the policy recommended by each cruise line.

As always, if and when these policies change, I am most eager to hear about it, and to implement changes to reflect published policy.

Thanks to Host Karen for allowing me to post that.

Theron

Archived