Questions for HeinBloed

leenie29

Thank you for all the great pictures on Lubeck and Wismar. I decided for our June Baltic Cruise that the expense and time it takes to go to Berlin, be in Berlin for 6 hours or so then back to the ship with a husband and my two sons (ages 14 and 9) wasn't worth the effort. After seeing your pictures I decided to venture into the country side to see Lubeck and Wismar with my family.

We are renting a diesel car (Europcar) at the pier with a GPS and driving to Lubeck and Wismar. I get to drive since I've driven in Germany before and love it.

Since you give such wonderful advice I have a few questions for you:

1. Where is there a central car park to leave the car so we can walk around both towns?

2. How much would parking be for 4 hours in each location?

3. What restaurants in either Lubeck (we're not missing Cafe Niederegger, I've heard too many good things about it)or Wismar do you recommend if you were traveling with children (one eats everything and the younger one eats nothing except sweets) for lunch?

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Eileen

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Leenie,

I am sorry for late reply as I was myself cruising and had no chance to react earlier. But as the first cruise ships will arrive in April and it's still February I hope that you'll get the information at the right time:

1. Where is there a central car park to leave the car so we can walk around both towns?

I made this for another cruiser. Maybe it's helpful for you as well. She found back scheduled to get her ship...

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DIY-HL-HWI-DBR.pdf

You may ignore the Bad Doberan part.

2. How much would parking be for 4 hours in each location?

It varies but normally you'll pay between 0.50 EUR and 2.00 EUR in the bigger cities in central locations.

Do not worry: do not sell your house to pay parking. It's not like New York City!!!

3. What restaurants in either Lubeck (we're not missing Cafe Niederegger, I've heard too many good things about it)or Wismar do you recommend if you were traveling with children (one eats everything and the younger one eats nothing except sweets) for lunch?

Typical German: opposite of Niederegger it's Ratskeller. Very touristic but meet all "prejudices" you'll have in Germany.

Maybe I would drive 15 minutes northbound to Travemünde which is a little fishermen-village close to Lübeck. There are a lot of nice small restaurants alongside of the promenade and you'll find a good place. Niederegger is also available in Travemünde. The promenade is partly closed for motor vehicles and so your children can move around while you are eating outdoor without danger.

In Wismar I would also drive a little bit to the seaside: Landhaus Redentin. I am sure that you'll get some traditional North German countrystyle food and your children some space to move.

Alternative family dining: McDonalds BurgerKing and PizzaHut...

Have a great day in Warnemünde, Lübeck or Wismar!!!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Hi Leenie,

I am sorry for late reply as I was myself cruising and had no chance to react earlier. But as the first cruise ships will arrive in April and it's still February I hope that you'll get the information at the right time:

I made this for another cruiser. Maybe it's helpful for you as well. She found back scheduled to get her ship...

http://home.arcor.de/yao/DIY-HL-HWI-DBR.pdf

You may ignore the Bad Doberan part.

It varies but normally you'll pay between 0.50 EUR and 2.00 EUR in the bigger cities in central locations.

Do not worry: do not sell your house to pay parking. It's not like New York City!!!

Typical German: opposite of Niederegger it's Ratskeller. Very touristic but meet all "prejudices" you'll have in Germany.

Maybe I would drive 15 minutes northbound to Travemünde which is a little fishermen-village close to Lübeck. There are a lot of nice small restaurants alongside of the promenade and you'll find a good place. Niederegger is also available in Travemünde. The promenade is partly closed for motor vehicles and so your children can move around while you are eating outdoor without danger.

In Wismar I would also drive a little bit to the seaside: Landhaus Redentin. I am sure that you'll get some traditional North German countrystyle food and your children some space to move.

Alternative family dining: McDonalds BurgerKing and PizzaHut...

Have a great day in Warnemünde, Lübeck or Wismar!!!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Thank you HeinBloed! Like usual it is very helpful information and much appreciated. Did you have a good time on your cruise?

It's funny but my older son will not eat fast food and never has, he's my gourmet eater and looks forward to trying new food (very expensive to feed especially now that he's 14 years old). Younger son loves fast food and dessert, only eats a few things and is not like his older brother when it comes to food (I'll be packing a lot of jelly sandwiches from the ship for him).

Eileen

PS If I have to drive into New York City 4 hours parking can range from $35.00 to $55.00 total depending on where you are going in the city. The parking prices sound more like the prices parking in my town.

It's funny but my older son will not eat fast food and never has, he's my gourmet eater and looks forward to trying new food (very expensive to feed especially now that he's 14 years old). Younger son loves fast food and dessert, only eats a few things and is not like his older brother when it comes to food (I'll be packing a lot of jelly sandwiches from the ship for him).

Maybe it's something for both...

Sauerfleisch mit Bratkartoffeln and Remoulade

Sauerfleisch = cold boiled meat in jelly...

Bratkartoffeln = home fries / country fries

Remoulade = Sauce Tartare

One of my most favorite North German dish...

Alternative: backside of KARSTADT department store in Lübeck which is on the same road like Niederegger:

Normally they should a new so-called LE BUFFET Self-Service Restaurant (Floor no. 3). Maybe it's easier for your kids to see what they are offering and to choose the meal they prefer.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe it's something for both...

Sauerfleisch mit Bratkartoffeln and Remoulade

Sauerfleisch = cold boiled meat in jelly...

Bratkartoffeln = home fries / country fries

Remoulade = Sauce Tartare

One of my most favorite North German dish...

Alternative: backside of KARSTADT department store in Lübeck which is on the same road like Niederegger:

Normally they should a new so-called LE BUFFET Self-Service Restaurant (Floor no. 3). Maybe it's easier for your kids to see what they are offering and to choose the meal they prefer.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you HeinBloed!!! You are a wealth of information.

I also took your advice on the Hertz Car Rental post about faxing Hertz to confirm our reservation for our June Europcar rental.

Eileen

• 3 weeks later...

Heinbloed and/or anyone else who might know...

I hope this is not repetitive but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else. If I missed something please direct me to the right place. Two seniors will be on the Norwegian Jewel arriving in Warnemunde on Saturday, July 19, 2008. We hope to see both Guestrow (to see the castle and gardens) and Rostock on our own without having to rent a car. I believe we can take a train to both? What's the easiest way to do this? Any information greatly appreciated...and it can't be too detailed for us! Thanks again for all your wonderful postings!

I hope this is not repetitive but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else. If I missed something please direct me to the right place. Two seniors will be on the Norwegian Jewel arriving in Warnemunde on Saturday, July 19, 2008. We hope to see both Guestrow (to see the castle and gardens) and Rostock on our own without having to rent a car. I believe we can take a train to both? What's the easiest way to do this? Any information greatly appreciated...and it can't be too detailed for us! Thanks again for all your wonderful postings!

Hello,

I have noted your question.

Actually I am at the airport in Seoul and my next flight is called for boarding.

After a nap at my final destination in Shanghai I will revert.

Promised.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Does anyone know of a store in Hamburg to buy Diet Dr. Pepper? My better half has to have it, and I know Holland America doesn't carry it on the ship.

You need to go to an army store to get it. But there will be none in Hamburg.

Sorry - But Dr. Pepper is absolutely unpopular in Germany. Very few outlets have the regular Dr. Pepper.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Me again...

after a nap I feel I can think again.

It's very easy by public transport:

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ship's arrival NORWEGAIN JEWEL

Berth time 08.00 am - 10.00 pm

Warnemünde dep 8.52 am S1 Commuter train

Güstrow arr 9.46

NO TRANSFER REQUIRED!!!

General information about the Palaces of Güstrow you'll find here:

http://www.schloss-guestrow.de/guestrow/english/guestroweng.html

Here some general information about opening hours and admission fees:

http://www.schloss-guestrow.de/guestrow/english/guestrowinfo.html

Generally:

One of the best ways to check for walking/driving instructions:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

You are going on the driving instructions (although you are walking):

Germany

Bahnhofsplatz 3 (= Address of the station)

Güstrow (If your computer cannot print "ü" = Guestrow)

Germany

Franz-Parr-Platz 1

Güstrow (same as above)

Options

Route Type "Discovery" (= scenic routes - whenever you have the intention to drive!)

but here:

On Foot

After "search" to be confirmed Güstrow in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

It's a walking distance of 2/3 miles = 16 minutes.

It would not make too much sense to use public transport:

1. You need to walk to Güstrow ZOB (Central Bus Terminal) = 6 Minutes

2. You take bus 301 towards Bauhof Nord just for 2 minutes = 2 stops to Güstrow Markt (= Market Square)

3. You walk again six minutes from here to the Castle.

If it is very boring to you:

Güstrow dep 12.04 pm (platform 2) RE 5304 towards Lübeck Hbf

Bad Kleinen arr 12.49 pm (platform 4)

Bad Kleinen dep 1.01 pm (platform 3) RE 33129 towards Ludwigslust

Schwerin Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station) arr 1.13

If if is not boring to you but you still want to see Schwerin you should not leave later than:

Güstrow dep 1.08 pm (platform 3) OLA 80062 towards Bützow

Bützow arr 1.18 pm (platform 3)

Bützow dep 1.25 pm (platform 1) RE 33010 towards Hamburg Hbf

Schwerin Hbf arr 2.01 pm

In Schwerin you'll find here additional walking instructions from me:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Schwerin.pdf

(If you get an information that you have no access:

make a posting to page me.

Too much traffic to download the walking instruction this month.

Try it next month or I spend some money to buy additional traffic)

Here you'll find some general information of Palace of Schwerin:

http://www.schloss-schwerin.de/schwerin/english/schwerineng.html

and some more information about opening hours and admission fee:

http://www.schloss-schwerin.de/schwerin/english/schwerininfo.html

If time and weather permit I would definately do a lake tour:

http://www.weisseflotteschwerin.de/english/profile.html

The Island tour (1.15 hrs duration) is fine enough to have a cup of coffee and a beautiful view from the lake to the castle:

http://www.weisseflotteschwerin.de/english/lake0608.html

As you still want to go to Rostock for few impressions you must go at

Schwerin Hbf dep 5.51 pm (Platform 2) RE 33015 towards Rostock Hbf

Rostock Hbf arr 6.52 pm

All other connections you need to buy additional tickets for the use of long-distance trains or you need additional time-killing transfers.

As you need to be back on your ship by 9.30 pm

I would use the tram to get into the town. But here you should find walking instructions and instructions to get by tram.

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Rostock.pdf

The last connections to reach the ship:

every 15 minutes on

01, 16, 31, 46 minutes past the hour

transit time 20 minutes

i. e. until

Rostock Hbf dep 8.16 pm S1 commuter trains towards Warnemünde

Warnemünde arr 8.36 pm

then

Rostock Hbf dep 8.36 pm

Warnemünde arr 8.56 pm

and

Rostock Hbf dep 9.01 pm

Warnemünde arr 9.21 pm

Of course you are more flexible to rent a car and drive on your own.

It's driving like in Maine.

But if you buy a

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket

Price 2008: 25 EUR

which covers all trains in this itinery (except tram in Rostock!!!)

for 5 persons

i. e. you find four other cruise mates who go with you on this tour and you'll have it for

5 EUR - that's about 8 USD per person.

I think you cannot beat it agains the price of a car.

Do not forget: fuel is much more expensive in Europe than in the US and you mostly need to pay for parking in the cities.

I would definately enjoy the view of the landscape in the trains.

Hope that these information were helpful for you.

Have a great day to follow the trace of the Dukes of Mecklenburg

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Does anyone know of a store in Hamburg to buy Diet Dr. Pepper? My better half has to have it, and I know Holland America doesn't carry it on the ship.

Feel free to contact

verbraucherservice@krombacher.de

Krombacher is a German Brewery who has the distribution rights for Dr. Pepper in Germany.

http://www.krombacher-gruppe.de/

They can tell you

1. if Dr. Pepper light/Diet is in Germany available

2. if yes, where it might be available in Hamburg

Good Luck

Regards,

HeinBloed

I found the Molli train information and saw that you can buy a 1 way or return ticket. It looks like there is a bus from Kuhlungsborn to Bad Doberan every 20 minutes or so. I plan on buying the Mecklenburg ticket for the trains and buses that day, so I am wondering if the bus from Kuhlungsborn would be part of this ticket. Thanks! I like seeing new things and don't want to take the return Mollie if there is another adventure we can embark on!

I found the Molli train information and saw that you can buy a 1 way or return ticket. It looks like there is a bus from Kuhlungsborn to Bad Doberan every 20 minutes or so. I plan on buying the Mecklenburg ticket for the trains and buses that day, so I am wondering if the bus from Kuhlungsborn would be part of this ticket. Thanks! I like seeing new things and don't want to take the return Mollie if there is another adventure we can embark on!

Now I understand:

There are further options to return to Molli-Train:

Mollibus replaces some departures of the train by a bus - but it's nearly the same route but on road instead of rail:

Only the very first and the very last departures are operated by bus instead of train.

The other options from Kühlungsborn to Bad Doberan

Bus 103

Bus 104

Bus 121

all three lines use different ways to Bad Doberan - but all three are going more from the coast away than Molli-Train.

Futhermore you should know:

Bus 103 runs only max. 3 times a day (not on weekends)

from Kühlungsborn Ost (= East = not terminal of Molli-Train - so you need to get from Kühlungsborn West to Ost)

1.20 pm

2.25 pm (not during school vacation)

4.15 pm

http://www.rvk-rostock.de/fileadmin/media/fahrplaene_regio/103.pdf

Bus 104 runs only max. 2 times a day (not on weekends)

from Kühlungsborn West

8.45 am (not during school vacation)

2.05 pm (from Kühlungsborn Gymnasium = Senior High School - not during school vacation)

http://www.rvk-rostock.de/fileadmin/media/fahrplaene_regio/104.pdf

Bus 121 could be an option if you also like to go to the opposite direction to Rerik to see another sea-resort)

about once per hour there is a bus in both direction.

Bus 121 connects also Rostock with Bad Doberan.

But then you will have the section Rerik - Kühlungsborn which you have double.

http://www.rvk-rostock.de/fileadmin/media/fahrplaene_city/121.pdf

What you should know:

DO NOT BUY A MECKLENBURG-VORPOMMERN-TICKET IF YOU JUST WANT TO SEE MOLLI / BAD DOBERAN / KÜHLUNGSBORN.

Buy a day pass / group day pass. Check here for current rates:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13697482&postcount=2

If you want to go to Rerik buy one more zone!!!

If you want to return via Rostock City buy one more zone!!!

Direct Warnemünde - Molli/Bad Doberan: 3 Zones

Direct Warnemünde - Molli/Bad Doberan - Rerik: 4 Zones

Warnemünde - Molli/Bad Doberan - Rostock - Warnemünde: 4 Zones

Warnemünde - Molli/Bad Doberan - Rerik - Rostock - Warnemünde: 5 Zones

5 Zones are slight higher than 4 Zones.

Molli-Train is always seperate tickets.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the correction on the Single Day pass! I will be printing all your directions before we leave.

When I go to www.bahn.de and put in Kuhlungsborn West to Bad Doberan, it shows bus #121 going to Bad Doberan at 5 minutes before the hour. Is this included in the Single Day pass for 4 Zones or is it the "return" ticket that has to be purchased at the Mollie ticket office?

Thank you!

TIs this included in the Single Day pass for 4 Zones or is it the "return" ticket that has to be purchased at the Mollie ticket office?

If you decided to return by Bus 121:

just buy a single ticket on Molli-Train

Bus 121 is included in One Day Pass

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

Quotes:

Originally Posted by atlanta99 Following up on one of Zeitgeist's suggestions, rent a car (the St Petersburg Strasse office in Rostock will deliver the car to the little agency office right at the dock for real easypickup and return).

Drive west to Lubeck, sticking to two lane roads as much as possible.

Stop off in Heiligendamm and Wismar.

Get to Lubeck for late lunch and enjoy the lively main square and/or the riverfront.

Go to Niederegger's if you like marzipan or just want to see what kind of amazing statues they make out of marzipan.

Then come back on the autobahn. If you have time, detour off to Schwerin to see the huge golden castle.

Very leisurely day ambling through the German countryside and a nice change of pace from the daily barrage of big cities, cathedrals and palaces.

Is the Rent a Car location is a Hertz ?!? If it is, like I think, would it be better to make reservations through the internet before arrival and how do we let them know that I want the car to be delivered to Warnemunde Port ?!?

Thank you!

Herve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herve

Is the Rent a Car location is a Hertz ?!? If it is, like I think, would it be better to make reservations through the internet before arrival and how do we let them know that I want the car to be delivered to Warnemunde Port ?!?

Yes - just visit http://www.hertz.com

Renting City: Rostock

Erase hook at "Search Major Airports Only"

Change "Select an Airline or Train" to "I am Arriving via Ship"

"Number" appears: Enter your ship's name.

"I Have a Discount (CDP), Coupon or Other Offer"

Click "Yes" and

"Submit"

--- next ---

"St. Petersburger Str." (3rd option)

Click on "Select for Reservation"

--- next ---

Subject you do not have a CDP of your own: enter

"Discount/CDP/Club Code": 656863 (But pssst....)

--- so just continue yourself ---

Make a printout of the booking confirmation

Fax confirmation to 011 49 381 7699642 and add following comment:

BITTE STELLEN SIE DEN WAGEN AM CRUISE CENTER IN WARNEMÜNDE ZU!

ANKUNFT: DD.MM.YYYY (USE THIS FORMAT UNLESS YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR CAR IN ANOTHER MONTH!!!), HH.MM UHR MIT MS SHIP'S NAME.

That's the safest way to communicate with them.

Regards,

HeinBloed

---------------------------------

Heinbloed, thanks for your detailed instructions how to rent from Hertz.

We followed your directions and have the confirmation.

However, when we tried to FAX the comment to Hertz on the confirmation the past few days, the phone rang and rang but there was no FAX pickup or answer.

There doesn't seem to be any e-mail contact info for the location either.

Have you any suggestion what we might do alternatively to arrange for delivery of the car to the dock?

We leave on May 22nd for the first leg of our trip to England and set sail from Harwich on May 31st.

Many thanks for any help you can offer,

She

Do not worry! It will work.

For the worst case:

Send me a copy of your booking confirmation to

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Please replace my nickname by the one which is used here in this forum.

I am actually in Houston TX and then in Sarnia ON...

But I am back in Germany on May 24, 2008 and can give them a call to make sure that you get your car.

No problem!!!

Have a great day in Warnemünde!!!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

HeinBloed: I will be arriving in Warnemunde on Sunday, July 27, around 8:00. I have decided not to go into Berlin and tour the local areas instead. I would like to visit Lubeck and Schwerin for sure and would like to see Wismar as well. Is it possible to spend a few hours in each of these locations? Will most places be open on a Sunday? If so, could you please tell me what train tickets I need to purchase? And the best route to see the towns and the way to get back to the ship. I will be by myself, and am really not confident enough to rent a car. Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

I will be arriving in Warnemunde on Sunday, July 27, around 8:00. I have decided not to go into Berlin and tour the local areas instead. I would like to visit Lubeck and Schwerin for sure and would like to see Wismar as well. Is it possible to spend a few hours in each of these locations?

Lübeck and Schwerin for sure. But due to late arrival at 08.00 hrs and early departure at 22.00 hrs. Let's see...

Will most places be open on a Sunday?

Tourist attractions: yes - but stores: very single to supply tourist staff (souvenirs etc.)

If so, could you please tell me what train tickets I need to purchase?

Just one Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 25.00 EUR. (But you can invite four other cruise-mates for free... - maybe they buy you the food...)

And the best route to see the towns and the way to get back to the ship. I will be by myself

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Warnemuende.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Schwerin.pdf

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Luebeck.pdf

If you get very quickly ashore:

dep 08.37 hrs S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 2)

arr 08.58 hrs at Rostock Hbf (Central Station - platform 2)

dep 09.04 hrs RE 33006 from Rostock Hbf (platform 6)

arr 09.50 hrs at Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

dep 10.02 hrs RE 21612 from Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

arr 10.54 hrs at Lübeck Hbf

If you miss this train:

dep 08.52 hrs S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 3)

arr 09.46 hrs at Güstrow (platform 4)

dep 10.04 hrs RE 5302 from Güstrow (platform 2)

arr 11.56 hrs at Lübeck Hbf

------------------------------------------------------------

dep 14.01 hrs RE 5313 from Lübeck Hbf (platform 2)

arr 14.56 hrs at Bad Kleinen (platform 1)

dep 15.01 hrs RE 33131 from Bad Kleinen (platform 4)

arr 15.13 hrs at Schwerin Hbf

dep 17.45 hrs RE 38216 dep Schwerin Hbf (platform 1a - not 1 - look for 1a)

arr 18.19 hrs at Wismar

dep 19.42 hrs RE 33189 dep Wismar (platform 2)

arr 20.51 hrs at Rostock Hbf (platform 9)

dep 21.01 hrs S1 train dep Rostock Hbf (platform 1)

arr 21.21 hrs at Warnemünde

... no risk - no fun...

Personally: I would skip Wismar and shift the time for Schwerin and Lübeck... But this is my personal taste...

Have a great day in Northern Germany!!!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

As said before, I did get tickets to Berlin on the train from the port (HAL)for me and my friends at 58 Eur -- thank you so much. I have a few other questions that I hope you can answer:

You sent a picture of the port and train, and I can see that it is close but can you give me actual directions? I am very directionally challenged.

Do you know anything about Tallinn? I am thinking of taking a tour given by Tallinn that picks up from Terminal A and D and offers 2.5 walking and bus tour --- does the port have a shuttle from the Old Town, or would I have to do tour or taxi to get there?

Thanks for your help -

Lisa

As said before, I did get tickets to Berlin on the train from the port (HAL)for me and my friends at 58 Eur -- thank you so much. I have a few other questions that I hope you can answer:

You sent a picture of the port and train, and I can see that it is close but can you give me actual directions? I am very directionally challenged.

Subject the forward of ROTTERDAM is facing the sea side:

You see it left (portside) from the ship:

2007HROWmPromenade-vi.jpg

So it's right out of the cruise terminal and the station is to the left.

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

Find the tunnel as marked "Way to Warnemünde Station / Town". That's not very challenging. There is exactly the access.

Step by step see this link:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Warnemuende.pdf

Do you know anything about Tallinn? I am thinking of taking a tour given by Tallinn that picks up from Terminal A and D and offers 2.5 walking and bus tour --- does the port have a shuttle from the Old Town, or would I have to do tour or taxi to get there?

Raetsel201-vi.jpg

"Einfahrt hier" - Port entry from the sea side.

At the end of the water you see the cruise/ferry terminal.

Right of this is the Old Town.

This picture was made from our ship while it berthed at the cruise terminal:

2007TLNTerm-vi.jpg

The church is already in Old Town. You just walk 15 minutes straight ahead from the cruise/ferry terminal. The white building on the left side is the ferry terminal.

Most of the streets in Tallinn Old Town are anyway made for pedestrians. I would not use a bus to discover Tallinn. Just walk!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived