Who's heard?

verwirrt

Hi all,

We live in MoBay. We got our electricity back on Wednesday. Many parts of the island still have no electricity or water-- yet the recovery process is much faster than Gilbert. (No electricity for one month!) Many hotels were damaged-- but everyone here is working hard to get things back to normal. It is amazing that there wasnt more damage. We lost so many trees and had a broken window-- so fortunate. Cruise ships have already been returning to MoBay-- I dont think Ochie is ready yet. Internet service has been sporadic-- so maybe that is why you have not been able to hear from some people here yet. It was still quite a terrifying experience-- as Ivan hit in the night-- and the wind and rain was so horrific. Our prayers now are for Cayman--as we hear it is in much worse shape than we are.

Thanks for all your prayers.

Jamrenjer, good to hear from someone in Jamaica! Glad you weathered Ivan with relatively minor damage. I can only imagine how scary it must have been!

I'm glad things are at least beginning to return to normal in beautiful Jamaica. I've only been there once (Ocho Rios a few years ago), and I loved it! Sounds like Conquest will be making her regular stop in Mo Bay by the time I cruise. If you have any advice about beaches in Mo Bay, I'm sure we'd appreciate it here on CC!

Hi Nina,

We have not been to any beaches since Ivan-- so can't tell you much yet. Doctor's Cave is probably the best in MoBay area. It cost $5 for adults -- there are showers and changing rooms etc. There have been many posts about the Sunset Beach Day pass for $20-- all inclusive. We have been there several times-- and that is a great price. The beach isnt as good as Doctor's Cave--but you are getting a great deal. Once we hear more-- or get to a beach will let you know. All the best!

He said the only problem from Ivan was a loss of power up where he lives (between MoBay and OchoRios). They had one ship into Montego Bay last week, and 2 yesterday, so sounds like things are okay on the north side of the island. I guess they may get more ships in with Grand Cayman so bad. Glad to hear he's okay, he gave us the best tour to Mayfield Falls in July when we were there off Caribbean Princess.

email from Peat today

Thanks for your thoughts and your prayers.

We did not get much damage in the Ocho Rios area. Thank God!!

Some areas are without electricity and water while in other areas they have been restored, a lot of trees uprooted, while other parts of the Island houses and other buildings were badly damaged. Some persons are still at shelters and are homeless.

However the relevant authorities are working on various ways to bring restoration to the Island.

Sincerely

Peat Taylor

Archived