desperate-Sanford hotel and transfer to Port Canaveral

Jewelly

I want to scream! I booked my clients on allegiant air to sanford airport. I didnt realize it was so far from Orlando. They dont arrive till 10:30 pm. I cant find a hotel w free shuttle. Holiday Inn only goes till 9:30. I was going to use Arts shuttle for the transfer but it's expensive from Sanford. Now they are looking at cab to a hotel, then an expensive shuttle to the port and back. Any suggestions to save money? I booked a car for the return through Avis for $44, but I have no idea if they are willing to drive. I dont know how to get them to a rental car from the hotel without another cab fare. It all sounds like a huge hassle. They did save a lot using allegiant air but now I wonder if they will regret it. I guess my question is does anyone know a hotel w free airport pickup from Sanford. (*late night) THANK YOU!

I live in Pt. Canaveral so cannot really help you with Sanford. That being said Florida is the cheapest place in America to rent a car. Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty and Enterprise are all here with free shuttles to the ships.

If they could get a car in Sanford then overnight it is easy to get here and back.

I want to scream! I booked my clients on allegiant air to sanford airport. I didnt realize it was so far from Orlando. They dont arrive till 10:30 pm. I cant find a hotel w free shuttle. Holiday Inn only goes till 9:30. I was going to use Arts shuttle for the transfer but it's expensive from Sanford. Now they are looking at cab to a hotel, then an expensive shuttle to the port and back. Any suggestions to save money? I booked a car for the return through Avis for $44, but I have no idea if they are willing to drive. I dont know how to get them to a rental car from the hotel without another cab fare. It all sounds like a huge hassle. They did save a lot using allegiant air but now I wonder if they will regret it. I guess my question is does anyone know a hotel w free airport pickup from Sanford. (*late night) THANK YOU!

Did your clients understand all this prior to booking with allegiant? If so, the costs should have been explained upfront...cheap air is not always the best....

I guess my question is does anyone know a hotel w free airport pickup from Sanford. (*late night)

No. If the rental car desks at the airport are really closed when they arrive (Alamo used to stay open until 11 PM), I'm afraid they're going to have to take a cab to a Sanford motel and, if they're hungry, hope that there's a restaurant still open nearby or that will deliver. It's a pretty small town.

There is a very quaint Holiday Inn type place that we stayed in many years ago, so I know Sanford has hotels. My suggestion is for the clients to stay overnight in Sanford and either rent a car the following morning, or get one of the shuttles to take care of transportation to and from the port. You may want to call the Sanford airport for suggestions of companies that are willing to make the drive.

We are taking Allegiant to FLL and thankfully, they use the Hollywood airport.

Hey,

We just returned from Sanford and had a great experience! I would do it again in a heartbeat! We rented a car there...the counters were still open at 10:00 pm on a Sunday night! Several...Dollar was the company we rented from..were located on-site. We booked a Dodge Charger for 166.60 for the entire week and were upgraded to a 300 once we got there. We drove about 15 minutes to the Springhill Suites at the Seminole Mall there in Sanford. It was an EASY drive and the front desk gave us the directions! We were able to stop at Walmart for some late night snacks for the kids (it was on the way!) and there were several restaurants close by. This is not a 4 Star hotel but it was very clean and in a good, safe location we felt. Staff was great and the free breakfast buffet was wonderful! If the car rental places were closed they told me that the will run a shuttle for $30 to the airport and back.

I think that your clients will enjoy the smaller airport with less hassle along with the cheaper airfare that Allegiant offers! Our Allegiant flights were some of the best we have ever experienced!

If you have any other questions just ask!

Dishie

oh yeah...which port are they going to? We drove to Tampa and just parked the car for $75 using valet and it was VERY convienent. We've also driven to Port Canaveral and have used Budget and Avis who were happy to let us turn the car in and then they shuttled us for free to the port and picked us up on return.

Dishie

The problem is that they arrive so late, the car places are closed.

Are you sure? I have arrived very late at many airports in my life and have always found one of the rental counters open.

This is how they make their money. Why would they close when there is a flight coming in?

Check directly with the airport authority. They can also give you info on closest local hotels and tell you if there is one car company that stays open.

You are a TA, shouldn't you check ground arrangements before finalizing flights? I worked for 10 years as a TA and that was a given.

Lots of good advice here but remember if coming to Canaveral and wanting to drop the car only Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Enterprise will shuttle you to the ship. National is in Cocoa Beach with no shuttle. I know someone mentioned Dollar and they dont have an office for 30 miles in Melbourne.

I might have sounded snarky but I also have a helpful side.

The Holiday Inn Express Sanford is only a couple of miles from the airport and offers a free shuttle.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/SNRFL/transportation

Have them sleep here and go the next day to pick up a rental car from one of the companies the other poster mentioned, where they can return it at Canaviral.

Allegiant air flies into Sanford and is a budget airline. When you see the flight deal you have to move quick! They get gone in no time. Especially around a holiday like spring break. I didnt have a lot of time to do research. I think their non stop flights were $79 round trip!!! I just "assumed" a hotel would be around with a shuttle. I knew the Holiday Inn had one but it stops running at 9:30! Thrifty is open and I have a car rented through them. I had only called two car rental places when I posted and panicked! There is always the option of a cab etc.. I am just trying to be very budget conscious! I swear I have worked on this for two days and stressed over it. I am just picturing two women with two kids late at night driving around lost in the dark cussing me. I have them a car through thrifty and a room at the Hilton Garden Inn. THANK YOU for your response!

Glad it worked out. Tell them to take Hwy 46 from Sanford east to I-95 south to Hwy 528 (The Beachline) East to Port Canaveral. Thrifty is about 1 mile after they see the ship. There are several places to get gas before they turn the car in.

• 7 years later...

Goportcanaveral.com, Really they save you tons of money, especially if you call