? for those who have cruised with smaller kids...

MamaParrotHead

Ours will be 6 and 10 when we cruise. We'd be getting a 6B OV with a convertible sofa and upper. My question is this...is it going to be a TOTAL P.I.T.A. (my biggest concern is having to go to bed when they do and the four of us feeling stuffed in there the limited amount of time we are all there). Would it be worth the extra $300-$400 to get an adjoining cabin? I'm trying to justify the cost and don't know if the money would be worth it for the second cabin.

p.s.-I don't think a balcony cabin is the answer, as the price difference between 2 6B's and 1 8B for us (with the military rate) is only $150.

Thanks!

Mama-

We are doing the same thing next week on the Triumph. Our girls are 6, and 8. I will let you know how the 6B was.

I don't see it being a problem. We have 2 way radios, and will leave them in the room. Our girls are mature enough to be in there by themselves, and they will call us if they need anything.

Or you can leave the kids at camp at night and go have fun.

We took our 7 children with us on our last cruise. At the time they were 17,16,15,14,5,5,and 5. We had always taken our 4 older ones prior. We always got two cabins between the 4 children and the 2 adults(kids in one and adults in the other). This last cruise we got 3 cabins(2 cabins for the older kids and 1 for the adults and triplets). It worked out fine. The only time we were in the cabin together was when we were sleeping or changing during the day or for dinner. We as well were concerned about it. Everything worked out fine. It you want a little more privacy, I would go with 2 cabins. We had some private times to ourselves when the young ones were in the youth programs onboard the ship. Just do what is more economical to you.

I think its worth it just for the extra bathroom! Just think of all four of you getting ready for dinner at the same time! Or if someone needs to use the bathroom and someone else is in the shower etc. I think the two rooms would def be worth it. Just make sure they're available! When you book adjoining rooms, they usually need to be done far ahead of time :)

Mama-

We are doing the same thing next week on the Triumph. Our girls are 6, and 8. I will let you know how the 6B was.

I don't see it being a problem. We have 2 way radios, and will leave them in the room. Our girls are mature enough to be in there by themselves, and they will call us if they need anything.

Or you can leave the kids at camp at night and go have fun.

I'm not worried about going out and leaving them in the cabin (quite truthfully, even when it's just adults, we're so WIPED after dinner, we're struggling to push past 11:00 p.m., :D ). But it's just a question of *space*. Let me know how it goes!

Gosh... I would think it would not be too difficult. We use to line our 3 kids up sideways on the second queen bed in hotels until the oldest was about 12.

with a 10 and 6 year old... I bet they could both sleep together on the upper.

Something else to consider... 10 and 6 is pretty young to sleep in a separate cabin a parent in the room, unless you get an adjoining cabin. Now that could work... and may be worth the money. You could leave the adjoining door open... but have some privacy just the same.

Best of luck.

I think its worth it just for the extra bathroom! Just think of all four of you getting ready for dinner at the same time! Or if someone needs to use the bathroom and someone else is in the shower etc. I think the two rooms would def be worth it. Just make sure they're available! When you book adjoining rooms, they usually need to be done far ahead of time :)

I'm leaning towards that. I think we'll atleast book the two rooms to have them, and condense to one room if we decide that later on.

And I think I'm safe booking this far out...did you look at my ticker? :D ;)

Gosh... I would think it would not be too difficult. We use to line our 3 kids up sideways on the second queen bed in hotels until the oldest was about 12.

with a 10 and 6 year old... I bet they could both sleep together on the upper.

Something else to consider... 10 and 6 is pretty young to sleep in a separate cabin a parent in the room, unless you get an adjoining cabin. Now that could work... and may be worth the money. You could leave the adjoining door open... but have some privacy just the same.

Best of luck.

We'd be leaving the adjoining door open at all times (well, *almost* all times, LOL ;) ). And I also agree that they're too young to be sleeping in a room completely by themselves. We'll be right there, with the door rigged open *somehow*. :)

We took our 7 children with us on our last cruise. At the time they were 17,16,15,14,5,5,and 5. We had always taken our 4 older ones prior. We always got two cabins between the 4 children and the 2 adults(kids in one and adults in the other). This last cruise we got 3 cabins(2 cabins for the older kids and 1 for the adults and triplets). It worked out fine. The only time we were in the cabin together was when we were sleeping or changing during the day or for dinner. We as well were concerned about it. Everything worked out fine. It you want a little more privacy, I would go with 2 cabins. We had some private times to ourselves when the young ones were in the youth programs onboard the ship. Just do what is more economical to you.

I'm glad to hear it can be done. I think we may book the deposits in 2 cabins, then see how the vacation fund is shaping up when it nears the actual time of going. Thanks for the reply!

Our DS has cruised with us since age 4 when we started cruising and he has never had a problem with going to sleep even though my DW stays up and reads quite late. He is usually so exhausted from his kids program that it takes very little for him to sleep. I cant say how crowded you might feel as you have one more than us but we never felt crowded although he always had an upper to sleep on so most times he would lay up there and watch tv or just sit on the bed and watch tv when he was in the cabin which really wasnt much during the day. Have a good cruise.

We had adjoining cabins when our kids were 12, 7, and 5. It worked well! The extra room and bathroom were a plus!

Last year they were 13,8 and 6 and we booked two cabins.

Before that when they were younger we would all cruise in one cabin. Pretty tight, but we had 5 not 4. Our friends cruised with us last yr, they had a 8 and 6 year old all in the same cabin-first time cruisers it worked ok for them. Good luck with your choice, given your only in the cabin to shower and sleep it should be ok. When the kids were little and we were all in one cabin, we had two top bunks and then the youngest slept with us. We had the open space under the bunks for extra room.

...Our girls are 6, and 8... We have 2 way radios, and will leave them in the room. Our girls are mature enough to be in there by themselves, and they will call us if they need anything...

wow!:eek: i cld never do this with a 6 and 8 year old. when they are older, yes, but not at that age. IMO they are way too young to be left alone in a cabin while i am out partying. i wld not feel right about that at all.

what i will do, however, is arrange for babysitting. not every single night, but enough nights where i get to go out and have fun, and i know they are safe...so i can relax.:)

camp carnival has mats, blankets, etc. if they fall asleep on non-party nights. on other nights they (camp carnival) will usually host at least one late night party (til 1 a.m., i think) and one semi-sleepover (to 3 a.m.). on those nights the kids actually WANT to go. so it works out great.

wow!:eek: i cld never do this with a 6 and 8 year old. when they are older, yes, but not at that age. IMO they are way too young to be left alone in a cabin while i am out partying. i wld not feel right about that at all.

what i will do, however, is arrange for babysitting. not every single night, but enough nights where i get to go out and have fun, and i know they are safe...so i can relax.:)

camp carnival has mats, blankets, etc. if they fall asleep on non-party nights. on other nights they (camp carnival) will usually host at least one late night party (til 1 a.m., i think) and one semi-sleepover (to 3 a.m.). on those nights the kids actually WANT to go. so it works out great.

I agree. We have a 9 and 8 and have taken them every year for the last four. We would stay in one cabin when they were younger but we always took a "babysitter" with us. Most ships do not allow 5 in a cabin so we have booked a balcony and an inside right across. Sometimes we all sleep in one cabin, others my DS and I would use the inside cabin.

We have been on several crusies and I still cannot believe how some parents leave their children alone. Camp Carnival would be a great answer so parents can have fun at night. We have witness some very inappropriate behavior from both the customers and staff/officers on some of our cruises but we feel very safe because our children are with us or the sitter. I can say I have never seen nor heard of anything wrong with the staff of Camp Carnival.

Normally I would totaly agree with you.

However, if you met our girls, you would understand. They have exceptional situational awareness, and I would trust them no problem. They have always been taught personal security skills. My kids are more responsible and well behaved than a lot of adults.

They will do the late nights at Camp Carnival, and if needed, they can hang and sleep in the room for a bit alone.

Normally I would totaly agree with you.

However, if you met our girls, you would understand. They have exceptional situational awareness, and I would trust them no problem. They have always been taught personal security skills. My kids are more responsible and well behaved than a lot of adults.

They will do the late nights at Camp Carnival, and if needed, they can hang and sleep in the room for a bit alone.

I understand, but its not what your or my kids would do that I would be concerned about. Its the other cruisers and staff that worries me and maybe should every parent.;)

Hey Parrothead, I was drawn to the kids comments too.

I agree with you, it really depends on the kids. Given your line of work I would definitely trust your judgement on this one. It is different for every family, some are comfortable leaving kids in the cabins, some aren't. Do what is right for you!

We cruised last summer with our 5 and 2 year old and had a 6D OV on the Elation. We were fine with the space. As a matter of fact we're sailing again this Spring and will be in another 6D OV and can't wait! Even if the rooms are small, it brings our family closer together!

As long as you're happy without the balcony, go for the 2 rooms.

The extra bathroom is a bonus.

We liked the balcony as we could still be "up and out", while DD slept.

We also tried 2 balconies once, adjoining, her in one room, and us in the other, one a cat 11, and one a cat 8. It was like having a two bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms.

When we travel with the 3 of us, we are tight on the storage aspect- where to put our clothes, toys, purchases. An adjoining cabin gives you extra storage, an extra bathroom PLUS and extra TV. Sometimes it feels like a vacation just to be able to watch grownup television!

On our first cruises we did one room. The girls were 7 and 10. We were a little cramped but it was fine. They were at camp carnival till late and were up early every morning. We left them in the cabin one time thinking that all would be fine. Well apparently they got to jumping on the beds and making a little to much noise and the people in the adjacent cabin called them and told them they were going to call the captain if they didn't get quiet. Well when we came back to our room they were nowhere to be found. They had left the cabin looking for us because they were afraid the captain was coming to get them. That was their one and only time left alone in the cabin. We did'nt let them get rooms alone until the were 15 and 12. By that time they were old enough to find their way around the ship and be responsible enough to check in a designated times.

Hi we are a family round trip NY on Miracle in April ..2 yr old and 5 yr old parents and grandma. Do you know if you make prior arrangements to have a highchair in dining rm...or perhaps the booster seat works..I have cruised many times before BUT never w/ my children.

Archived