2-2-08 Roll call

Finzup1

CruiseDude,

Sounds like you've sailed the WindSpirit before. This is my first time and my companion has been on the ship previously and loved it. We are in our 40s and live in NJ. The itinerary sounds fabulous. The day we are in St. Barths is Carnival (Mardi Gras...). There is a parade in town followed by a party-like atmosphere on the harbor in Gustavia. The roads in and out of Gustavia are closed from 2-8 pm. It should be a really fun day to be there. St. Barths is a very special place to be.

Look forward to meeting you and having that first rum punch on the ship

NJBlues,

We went on the same cruise last year and it was our best ever! Incredibly romantic and you will absolutely love it. The food is spectacular. You guys are going to have a wonderful time.

Same here, forties and NJ. Somerset County. We never went to St, barths other than the couple of hours last year. I hear it is very expensive.

Do you like blues? There is a very good blues cafe on St. Thomas.

Cheers!

Finzup1,

Do you really need a car?

Finzup1,

You'll need to be careful on February 5 in St. Barths. We dock (tender...) in Gustavia and it is Carnival (Mardi Gras) that day. All traffic in and out of Gustavia is closed form 2 to 8. If you rented a car at the port, you'll need to have it back in Gustavia before the roads close in Gustavia. If you rented a car at the airport in St. Jean then you might be able to return it later and have a taxi take you close to Gustavia (only 5 minutes away). I would check with your rental company on this. I was given this advice on a St. Barths travel forum. From what I've read, Carnival in St. Barths is a blast! We are lucky to be spending our one day there to experience it.

Hope this helps.

CruiseDude,

Mercer and Monmouth Counties in NJ for us.

St. Barths is a spectacular island to explore by car - very hilly with secluded beaches throughout the island. The closed roads issue in Gustavia makes renting a car that day a bit of a challenge unless things are well planned. No, you do not need a car if you spend the day in Gustavia. Shell Beach is a 10 minute walk form the harbor and has a beach bar and restaurant.

Yes, St. Barths is very expensive and add to that the lousy euro to dollar ratio right now and it makes it worse. The beach bar on Shell Beach sells beers for 4euros which is about $6 and cocktails for 10euros which is about $15. There are several excellent and affordable places to each lunch in Gustavia or to sit by the harbor and have a cocktail. A famous, although a bit of a dive, bar in Gustavia is Le Select. Apparently, the inspiration for Jimmy Buffett's Cheeseburger in Paradise. It is a prime viewing spot for the Carnival parade and a great source of cheap beer and burgers.

Thanks for the feedback on your cruise last year. I am sure we will have a spectacular time.

Rental cars always a must for us! We love to explore & see everything on an island without being on a tour! Even if we just drive to a beach atleast its on our time. Rental cars are $50 a day on the islands. Cheap compared to the excusions and taxi rides. St Martin we are going to do the canopy tour. That looks wild!:D

Finzup...

The airport terminal in St. Barths is in St. Jean, not Gustavia (5 minute drive from Gustavia). If you rented a car from the airport, you can't walk to the airport from Gustavia easily. I believe Budget also has a spot on the harbor, which would be much easier for you. Either way, keep in mind that roads that day into Gustavia where we are tendered are closed from 2-8. This might be preventing me from getting a car. St. Barths is an amazing place, you'll have a great day there.

Archived