Back from AOS Aruba route - any questions?

QueensChick

Hello, I'm new to this board, but not cruisecritic. Last fall, my wife and I booked a cruise on Carnival Destiny two weeks before sailing, and I learned a lot of helpful stuff on the Carnival board and the 40+ page Destiny-specific thread in the short time I had before sailing. This year, we decided to plan way ahead, and earlier today I booked the souther leg of the AOS (Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas) for 11/28/04.

Is there a dedicated thread for the AOS on the Royal Caribbean board, other than this one? I did scan the first 5 or six pages of the RCCL board, and didn't see anything else besides a short thread about some wedding planning.

If not, I'd like to throw out a few questions for anyone familiar with the ship:

How is the boarding process? As wonderful as the Destiny itinerary was, the hassel of carrying our bags five feet forward at a time for over an hour before getting inside the terminal -- while watching the locals arriving by private car get shuttled right to the front of the line -- made me swear that I would never cruise through PR again. The two hour wait to check in at the Delta counter (a folding table and rubbermaid bin full of boarding passes) didnt' help either. However, I just couldn't pass up the chance to go back to Aruba for only $100 more than the Florida-based itineraries where it seems you spend more time at sea than in port.

I'm sure I'll find many other tips on the RCCL experience and the ports of call in other threads, but are there any other tips that jump to mind about the Adventure of the Seas? From the few threads and topics I've already browsed, it seems like you need to plan a lot more for RCCL (tickets for shows, etc.), although there seem to be more activities on the big boat.

Thanks

Brian

Destiny 10/26/03

Hi Brian,

I don't know of a dedicated thread other than to go to the roll call for you sailing. The boarding process for AOS can have long lines too, but the porter are by the curb so you don't have to lug you bags around. I did not see any locals getting different treatement. If you book in a suite, you get priority boarding and a short line.

As for the airport, I have heard it gets crazy on Sunday when you have three mega ships unloading. We booked flight late in the day. Took a tour of the rainforest, then flew home. There was no line at the airport by then.

As for planning and tickets for shows, there is so much to do you do have to look at the schedule (called a Compass) to see what you want. The only show you need a ticket for is the ice show. This is because the venue the ice show is in only holds like 800 people, so they need to control crowds. Tickets are not hard to get. They will announce when tickets become available. Just go down and pick them up for the time you want. There is no charge.

Have fun AOS is a great ship.

SBGRACE...We could not see into any part of the balcony of cabin 8612, but could lean over the edge and look into balcony 8608. We felt totally comfortable and totally private in our cabin and on our balcony. As QueensChick said...the maintenance crew does a great job of cleaning all the balconies, so be careful about what you leave on the balcony and keep in mind of their view...ie...especially if you're in your birthday suit!!! :) :) :)

ALSO...hope you're not going to feel too much of the effects of IVAN in GA!

Happy Cruising to all!

Thanks, Carrie, those bump balconies were the only thing worrying me about our cabin. :D And we know to watch out for the maintenace guys! :eek:

Thanks too for the good thoughts about Ivan--we are northwest of Atlanta, so all we're likely to get here is lots of rain and some wind. Prayers and good wishes to all along the Gulf Coast...

Chris

MDSEAGULL; As for your question about bringing booze on board, at the port, there is a duty free store in the terminal next door,(I'm thinking it is where the Golden Princess docks), we went there - bought our supplies - carried on in our carry on bags - and were not hasseled at all.

Was the wine package available on your cruise? If so, any details?

There was a wine package available:

$140 ($20 a bottle) to have one bottle each night with dinner. It was available in the main dining room as well as Portofino's. I can't comment on the quality of the wines included in the package, but our tablemates seemed quite happy with the choices.

Enjoy!

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking."

-Marcus Aurelius Antonius

I read some of the homepage reviews today, and a few from the eastern leg mentioned something about having to go through immigration in St. Thomas the first morning? Is this something unique to this ship? Last year, the Destiny sailed from PR to St. Thomas the first day and there wasn't any type of immigration procedure (until debarkation, of course).

When going to St. Thomas, the immigration check is nothing more than showing a passport or other ID. If they have adequate customs staff, it only takes like 10 minutes.

This is something that is new for all ships. You might have gotten around it on Destiny becuase you went from one US port to another. I am not sure if that is still the case today or not.

SBGRACE

Ms.Fixit...I started to save our Compasses, then once our itinerary changed, most of them were listed as Revised, so I figured they may not be as helpful to future cruisers on AOS. If you have any specific things you want to know about...I'm sure between QueensChick and I we can answer your questions!

Happy Cruising to all!

CGAGE: One question about the Compass.....Is there a separate Compass for the Adventure Ocean program or is the itinerary included all together???

Thanks for all the info......17 days to go on the AOS...YEAH!!

Ms.Fixit - There is a separate compass for adventure ocean.

brian5 - On the itinerary you are going on, St. Thomas is the first US port after you have been out of the country (Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten) so you need to go through customs there. The customs agents come aboard the ship and set up in the dining room.

We are sailing on AOS 10/10 and will need to use the Cyber Stateroom hookup for our daughter, who will need to use it to stay current in her college classes during the trip. Has anyone ever used this? :confused: How much did it cost and were you satisfied with the connection?

Thanks for all the great advise on the Boards. I have learned much.

Okay, thanks for the answers on the St. Thomas immigration. Does that mean that you don't have to go through prior to debarkation, since you then only travel from St. Thomas to PR at the end of the cruise?

Does anyone have or know of a website with the description or prices of the shore excursions? Do they often fill up on this itinerary, or can you pretty much decide where you want to go the night before and still buy tickets?

Okay, thanks for the answers on the St. Thomas immigration. Does that mean that you don't have to go through prior to debarkation, since you then only travel from St. Thomas to PR at the end of the cruise?

Does anyone have or know of a website with the description or prices of the shore excursions? Do they often fill up on this itinerary, or can you pretty much decide where you want to go the night before and still buy tickets?

You will still go through Customs after getting off the ship in Puerto Rico - then to baggage claim area.

BRIAN5...If you go to RCCL website, they list all or most of the excursions they offer and allow you to purchase before your cruise. Also...when you get your documents in the mail...the excursions are all listed there as well. We didn't go on any scheduled tours through RCCL except for the Bacardi tour that was offered in San Juan on the day of Debarkation. Our flight didn't leave until 5:30, so we took the tour and then went to the airport. We booked this tour the night before we got off the ship. I think it's safe to assume though...that the more popular tours do fill up, but I'm not positive!

Enjoy your cruise!

Hello, I'm new to this board, but not cruisecritic. Last fall, my wife and I booked a cruise on Carnival Destiny two weeks before sailing, and I learned a lot of helpful stuff on the Carnival board and the 40+ page Destiny-specific thread in the short time I had before sailing. This year, we decided to plan way ahead, and earlier today I booked the souther leg of the AOS (Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas) for 11/28/04.

We have a group of 8 from Northern KY and 2 from Arkansas (we met on last year's cruise). We've done a cruise out of San Juan for the last 4 years. Looking forward to this one very much. Last 2 were Celebrity and then RCCL several years ago, so my RCCL info. isn't up to date. Just wanted you to know you won't be alone.

We sailed on the AOS on 8/29 doing the Antigua route & St. Thomas was our first port. The only immigration we needed to go through was the one when we got off the ship. When I did the Aruba route last year & the year before, we had to go thru immigration on board ship before we could get off in St. Thomas. (Our first port was Aruba) So it appears that if a U.S. possession is your first port you don't need to go through immigration on board.

Sandi

We didn't go on any scheduled tours through RCCL except for the Bacardi tour that was offered in San Juan on the day of Debarkation. Our flight didn't leave until 5:30, so we took the tour and then went to the airport.

What time did they drop you off at the airport, was it crowded and did you have a difficult and lengthy time getting through security?

So glad to hear you had a good time!:)

We'll be on AOS on 10/10 which is the "other" route but we'll be stopping in St. Lucia, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. What kind of excursions did you do? Is there any "can't miss" things to do or see on these islands?

Also how formal are the formal nights? I want to make sure I don't over/under dress.

Did they have the special where you can buy liquor and take to your room the first night with the $9 charge?

Last question I swear, I heard there is a duty free shop on the pier in SJ where you can buy sodas and beer and take them on the ship. Is this true?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

(Can you tell I'm excited? ;) )

When we sail out of SJ in 2001 before 911. We went to duty free and loaded

up 2 cases of beer and plenty of alcohol. My thinking is TSA is at the security checkpoint and they do not care if you bring alcohol on board. There job is security. But we had no problem getting it on. I usually carry stuff in my luggage.

We stay in San Juan before the cruise and go to Barcardi's to pick up a few things. Gee this makes me sound like all I do is drink on the cruise. No, I prefer to have than have not.

Yes you can buy bottles on the ship for the $9.00 upcharge.

Have a great trip. We won't be sail on the Adventure until 8/05

I am in a group of 7 couples going on the AOS Oct 3. Did you hear of anyone doing the pub crawl in Aruba? It's called the Kukoo Kunuku Bar Hop and Dinner for $69 per person. THe description says. Ride in a wacky, one of a kind 1957 Paranda bus, hand painted and cooled by Trade windes for a look at Aruba after dark. The party begins with local music then on to a sunset champagne toast on the beach. Then you'll continue to a restaurant for dinner under the stars. After dinner, you'll be taken to three popular bars and the first drink is included in the price. Anyone know anything about this excursion??

Anyone know anything about this tour? It is offered in Aruba, $52 per person, dinner not included. They take you to five bars and the first drink is included and you end at Carlos and Charlies. If you know anything about this we would like to know. We have a group with 7 couples going on the AOS OCtober 3 and are considering this excurion.

Lenoxgirl: We did this in Aruba in January. We are in our mid to late 40's and we do like to have a good time. That said, this was the most lame excursion we have ever been on. They close most of the bars for you, so the only people on the bus are the people in the bars. Not too many party people. Then the last stop is Carlos & Charlies, let me say that the place was PACKED! We could barely get in, and then we kept thinking about trying to get out if there were a fire. A real death trap! We were very disappointed. :(

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your advice! We are sailing 2/13/05 with 3 other couples and I am compiling all kinds of info for us! We are trying to decide when and where and how many excursions we want to book prior to going, and whether to do it through RCI or an outside source. Do those who book through RCI get priority getting off?

From what I've read, we leave most ports (except Aruba) by about 5 or 6 pm. The last cruise we did we had early dining and loved it. We have that again (I know...big topic) but if we leave at that time it shouldn't be too big of a deal, right!?

Were your formal nights the days you were at sea?

Since we're flying in on a charter flight the day of the cruise, should we be dressed appropriately for dinner in case our luggage isn't at our room in time?

Thanks again!

Heidi

Archived