New England cruise/NY port

kc1005

Any opinions on the NY to Canada cruise? Would you take kids(ages 9 & 12)? How was the NY port--safe, not somewhere you would try to get yourself to, somewhere ok as long as someone else was driving? Thanks!

Hi kc, and welcome to Cruise Critic! Over on the "member reviews" section, I've posted reviews for two of our three cruises on this itinerary (the fourth is booked for August - obviously we like this cruise!) We have 3 sons; the first time we sailed, they were 13, 8 and 4 and when we next do the Canada cruise they will be 17, 12 and 8. They've enjoyed both the ship and the ports. We first tried this cruise because we could drive to NYC and park; it's very easy and very safe.

That would be an awesome cruise! Would love to do it but we can only vacation in the winter. We cruised out of NY 2 years ago. Stayed at the Skyline hotel (which was literally 5 minutes from the port). We saw every single touristy sight there was to see between the airport and hotel. Never having been to NY that was pretty cool.

The port is a little overwhelming, depending on what time you get there - we arrived as everyone was getting off, and it was a complete free-for-all. Pretty wild!

There's NOTHING like cruising out of Ny harbor tho - going past the State of Libery (while Proud to be an American played in the backround) was one of the highlights of the trip!

Anni

The port of NY was easy to get to for us. I can't really say about getting there from the airports though. It's pricy if you're taking a cab from the airports to the terminal, though. The city has a deal worked out that you can take a cab from any area airport to anywhere in manhattan for $45 per person. Now, imagine what it was before they had that deal worked out! If you're more open, I might suggest taking the airtran to Penn station and catching a cab from there (the airtran goes from JFK to Jamaica, then LIRR from Jamaica to Penn, but not from LGA so make sure you fly into JFK if you're going this way). Otherwise you may want to fly in a day early and stay at a hotel. Get your sightseeing in along the way ;) Another option could be to have a car service meet you at the airport and take you straight there.

Leaving from the port of NY really was awesome. :) We've done it twice (How could we not? So convenient! It's like people from Miami NOT leaving from Miami).

Going north to Canada was nice. I wouldn't say I'd really want to go there again. There are a few things to do, but mostly we found it a little boring. But we always go it alone, I'm sure the excursions Carnival offers will have something you'll like.

Hope this helps!

- Jess

Thank you so much for the quick replies! We live in New England, so it makes sense to drive to NY, rather than fly. We have a credit w/ Carnival, due to our summer cruise being canceled. It is for 1/2 the amount(it's a very long story), & we are trying to find a cruise that 4 of us could take & use the credit. If we drive, combined w/ some money, then it should work out.

I'm looking forward to reading about your trips. Thank you:)

We did the 7 day on the Victory on Sept 29th (the last 7 day sailing for the year) and had a wonderful time.

Since it was fall though, there were only 26 kids under the age of 18 on board....but if you cruise in the summer...your little ones should have plenty of playmates!!

We had a great time. It is different than a Caribbean cruise but I loved Saint John and Halifax.

Archived