Explorer of the Seas - Hump or not

lynn247

I've been trying to decide on our next cruise and have not considered Royal Caribbean before, only because of the SIZE of the Explorer. It just seem way too big for me.

We almost booked the Noordam, until I saw a photo of it next to the Grand Princess. :eek: Way too small for me for a winter cruise out of NYC. Also, the Noordam docks at Crown bay in St. Thomas, and we weren't too happy about that last summer on our Crown Princess cruise.

While searching my winter options out of the NYC area, I decided to research The Explorer of the Seas. Even though my DH's co-worker will only cruise RCCL, and has many nice things to say about RCCL, I was so sure I would not like this ship.

Well... last night I came across a thread devoted to the Explorer and I read about 20+ pages. Guess what, I left a voice mail with my TA and told her to forget about the Noordam, get me on the Explorer of the Seas. The more photos I looked at, and the more I read, the more I knew this was the cruise I wanted.:D My DH's only concern was that it not dock in Crown Bay, and that we have a cabin larger than the regular balcony. At this stage in our lives, we are more concerned about comfort rather than cost.

Now here comes my Hump or not question. JR suite 1624 is available for the date we are looking at. Why would I want to book this suite rather than any other JR suites? :confused: Or does it not make a difference?

Any other hints or secrets would also be appreciated. Thanks

We enjoy the hump cabins on any of the RCCL ships. Not because they are necessarily bigger, but because they are a bit more private because everyone can't see you thanks to the jutting out of the cabins. Theya re also in prime locations for the elevators!

The balcony you are speaking about is a bit larger than other cabins - so ,yes, I'd take it.

It will be a VERY convenient location! Book it! All JS's are nice, but those hallways are loooong! Being close to the stairs and elevators will really make things easier and more pleasant. Don't worry about noise--the elevators are NOT in the cabin hallway, despite how it looks on the deck plans! Book and enjoy!

(The balcony and room are NO larger than any other JS on the ship--that is only true on Radiance class!)

It will be a VERY convenient location! Book it! All JS's are nice, but those hallways are loooong! Being close to the stairs and elevators will really make things easier and more pleasant. Don't worry about noise--the elevators are NOT in the cabin hallway, despite how it looks on the deck plans! Book and enjoy!

I've been trying to decide on our next cruise and have not considered Royal Caribbean before, only because of the SIZE of the Explorer. It just seem way too big for me.

We almost booked the Noordam, until I saw a photo of it next to the Grand Princess. :eek: Way too small for me for a winter cruise out of NYC. Also, the Noordam docks at Crown bay in St. Thomas, and we weren't too happy about that last summer on our Crown Princess cruise.

While searching my winter options out of the NYC area, I decided to research The Explorer of the Seas. Even though my DH's co-worker will only cruise RCCL, and has many nice things to say about RCCL, I was so sure I would not like this ship.

Well... last night I came across a thread devoted to the Explorer and I read about 20+ pages. Guess what, I left a voice mail with my TA and told her to forget about the Noordam, get me on the Explorer of the Seas. The more photos I looked at, and the more I read, the more I knew this was the cruise I wanted.:D My DH's only concern was that it not dock in Crown Bay, and that we have a cabin larger than the regular balcony. At this stage in our lives, we are more concerned about comfort rather than cost.

Now here comes my Hump or not question. JR suite 1624 is available for the date we are looking at. Why would I want to book this suite rather than any other JR suites? :confused: Or does it not make a difference?

Any other hints or secrets would also be appreciated. Thanks

We were in 1624 in January, it's a perfect location! Made us confirmed "Hump" cruisers.

I am booked on the 12 nighter in March on Explorer in the GS 1324 (opposite your JS!) on the otherside of the hump. I booked because of all the raves about the convenient position of elevators etc. I would book it NOW. I LOVE RCI and cannot wait to try my first Voyager class ship in a hump cabin.!!!:) Hollyanna

I am booked on the 12 nighter in March on Explorer in the GS 1324 (opposite your JS!) on the otherside of the hump. I booked because of all the raves about the convenient position of elevators etc. I would book it NOW. I LOVE RCI and cannot wait to try my first Voyager class ship in a hump cabin.!!!:) Hollyanna

We were in 1324 last Aug. in the GS. It was great, right by the elevator and one flight down to the Concierge Lounge. We loved it!!!!!! Long balcony. You are going to really enjoy it!!!!!! Also one flight up to the pool and Windjammer.

I booked, :D but since I had to change my sail date, I was not able to get 1624, but we got another "hump" instead. Can't Wait. I'm excited about the new ports for us to visit, as well as a new ship for us to explore.

Thanks for everyone's responses. :) And thanks for the other posts that made me want to give the Explorer of the Seas a try.;)

On behalf of your DH I would definitely say hump. That's why DW and I got a balcony cabin on an upcoming cruise.

Oh wait, you're talking about cabin location. Never mind. Can't answer that question.

Have a great cruise.

On behalf of your DH I would definitely say hump. That's why DW and I got a balcony cabin on an upcoming cruise.

Oh wait, you're talking about cabin location. Never mind. Can't answer that question.

Have a great cruise.

Ha Ha! Spoken like a true man.

Are you going on the 16 March cruise out of Cape Liberty? Your cruise has a very active Roll Call, why not stop over and say "Hello"??

Archived