fuel surcharge really irks me

coombs2

thanks for that info...I just talked to my agent in the US yesterday, and Princess had told them, that it only applied as I posted. I will pursue further. She has a client with a B2B2B and it represents alot of money and she has been unsuccessful getting Princess to change. We are going on a B2B for 20 days, so it is a goodly sum, also.

Hey Marc, It is true . . . it doesn't matter where your agent is from (mine is also US), or where you are leaving from. If you are Canadian it is waved. Just paid our bill yesterday and it wasn't on there. Our final payment is due tomorrow, (and you may have already paid for both cruises as your first cruise deadline would have already passed) but you shouldn't be paying the extra charge.

None of us is happy about this extra charge. But, I guess fuel charges are now an unfortunate part of life. We don't have a choice if we want to continue to cruise. All the major cruiselines have implemented this charge and any who haven't, probably will. I also have a cruise booked that didn't originally have a fuel charge and now it does. I don't like it, but I do want to continue to cruise.

Quality of former "excellent" cruise lines has diminished. Passengers are being "nickled and dimed" to death on these sailings. With their profits continually rising, they still charged a "fuel supplement" even after full pay was made by the clients. And in view of all the above negatives, they are sailing with no empty cabins. It seems that we, the consumers, reap what we permit the cruise lines to sow. We have only seen the beginning of more of the same from the cruise lines. As long as we continue to fill their coffers, the greed will escalate. :eek:

Quality of former "excellent" cruise lines has diminished. Passengers are being "nickled and dimed" to death on these sailings. With their profits continually rising, they still charged a "fuel supplement" even after full pay was made by the clients. And in view of all the above negatives, they are sailing with no empty cabins. It seems that we, the consumers, reap what we permit the cruise lines to sow. We have only seen the beginning of more of the same from the cruise lines. As long as we continue to fill their coffers, the greed will escalate. :eek:

How come my gas station won't let me pay a year ahead on filling my tank? Had I done that last year, I could have paid $2 a gallon this year instead of $3 a gallon. But I couldn't. And that $1 a gallon difference would have made a big impact on what I spent this year on gas. Yet, I don't think the gas station has been nickel and diming me...even though oil companies have profits that cruise lines could only dream of. A cruise ship burns more fuel getting 20 feet from the pier than I burn all year in my car. A minimal fuel surcharge is nothing. If you want to complain, then let the cruise lines start charging a buck a slice for pizza or $10 for every meal you eat. There you might have a complaint. But even with a nickel and dime charge for a fuel surcharge, I still view cruising as an excellent value.

Because, my dear, even with the fuel surcharge, it is the best vacation value around. Go ahead and price out air and ocean front hotel, and pretty good quaility food for seven days on 3 or 4 Caribbean or, even worse, European tourist towns. Fact is, that fuel charge will barely cover lunch in Europe right now, if you are paying in Dollars. Oh, and throw in a show every night, and some of the best waiters/room stewards/bartenders around.

The problem is not everyone is paying. Anyone from the UK isn't paying and evidently anyone who already had a booking from Canada also doesn't have to pay. If Princess was going to do this then it should have been across the board.

This really had nothing to do with Princess and Princess did try to charge Canadians (I can't speak for those from the U.K. nor am I familiar with their laws). However, the charges had to be rescinded because of Canadian consumer protection laws.

This really had nothing to do with Princess and Princess did try to charge Canadians (I can't speak for those from the U.K. nor am I familiar with their laws). However, the charges had to be rescinded because of Canadian consumer protection laws.

the UK has the same types of laws. I am sure the Lines would like to make it across the board, also, but they have to follow the rules of where they sold the tickets.

As I said in a previous post, though, the fact that all the lines are calling it a "surcharge" leaves a little room to hope they will be rescinded when the price of oil comes down - and I would still rather pay a small surcharge, than have them cut a corner somewhere else.

I'm still going to cruise no matter what. It's not all that much when you consider some of the discounts cruise lines offer (especially during non-holidays). Sure, none of us are thrilled about it but with rising fuel prices, the cruise lines had to do something.

Laurie

We booked April 2006 for our B2B Feb 08. I can't understand why all the Americans are will to just bend over and take the surcharges on an existing contract. In Canada when you book a vacation no other fees can be added after the deposit is paid. You have a contract. Princess charged us the fuel surcharge and then had to reimburse us. In the future we know we will have to pay a fuel surcharge.

In the UK Carnival decided initially to add the fuel surcharge to all cruise brands other than P&O from sometime in November. Then they decided to add P&O cruises that depart from January (can't remember the exact date) this year and booked after 17th December last year.

They have been upfront in the UK about the surcharge and have not chosen to retroactivate it. I am pleased about this because I have already booked all my cruises for 2008 as well as one for 2009.

Most UK cruise agents have decided to incorporate the charge (currently £2:50/day for pax 1 & 2 in each cabin) into the list price for a cruise so many new booking pax do not realise this has been added to the 1st edition brochure prices.

For those commenting about a $3/gallon fuel at the gas pumps - in the UK we are currently paying £1:05/litre (equivalent to £4:77/gallon or $9:44 at an exchange rate of approx $2/£1) and today's UK press are reporting that in the UK we pay an average of 66p/£1 tax on our fuel.

For the person who earlier mentioned passengers paying $285 for a 7 night cruise recently, that works out to approximately £143 - there is no way we would get a 7 night cruise for less that £500/$1000 or thereabouts.

It's all swings and roundabouts!!

Feebee_71 :(

This is an interesting thread - brings up a lot of pros and cons. For myself, I think adding the surcharge to an already booked and paid for cruise is not right. To me, the cruise company and I have a contract at the time the cruise is booked. Would any of us put up with, for example, buying new furniture at a zero interest rate for six months, signing a contract to that effect then have the furniture company tack on additional charges for lack of interest. I wouldn't. It's not just the fuel surcharge I object too though. I get really bent out of shape with the tipping policy. Bottom line (and yes, I know it's not realistic) is the cruise line should build those tips and the fuel into their prices. What if I never eat in the dining room, preferring anytime buffet? Should I be required to pay a head waiter, assistant waiter, etc? I don't think so! Tipping is absurd if you ask me. We're supposed to pay extra for services that we're already paying for - but to certain people only. Tip the cab driver but not the subway driver; tip the waiter but not the cook; tip the hairdresser but not the dentist. I do tip but do so conservatively. Fuel charges and tips - that's as volatile as discussing dress codes in the dining room on formal night! I suspect people won't book as many cruises and we'll see lower and lower "base" prices. Hopefully we will anyway! Have a great week all.

This is an interesting thread - brings up a lot of pros and cons. For myself, I think adding the surcharge to an already booked and paid for cruise is not right. To me, the cruise company and I have a contract at the time the cruise is booked. Would any of us put up with, for example, buying new furniture at a zero interest rate for six months, signing a contract to that effect then have the furniture company tack on additional charges for lack of interest. I wouldn't. It's not just the fuel surcharge I object too though. I get really bent out of shape with the tipping policy. Bottom line (and yes, I know it's not realistic) is the cruise line should build those tips and the fuel into their prices. What if I never eat in the dining room, preferring anytime buffet? Should I be required to pay a head waiter, assistant waiter, etc? I don't think so! Tipping is absurd if you ask me. We're supposed to pay extra for services that we're already paying for - but to certain people only. Tip the cab driver but not the subway driver; tip the waiter but not the cook; tip the hairdresser but not the dentist. I do tip but do so conservatively. Fuel charges and tips - that's as volatile as discussing dress codes in the dining room on formal night! I suspect people won't book as many cruises and we'll see lower and lower "base" prices. Hopefully we will anyway! Have a great week all.

Actually, the reason for the auto-tip is that, as the cruise lines expanded your dining opportunities, tipping became problematic for those who used the alternative dining venues. Back when there was only one place to eat, and you only had one waiter/busboy/headwaiter for every meal for the duration of the cruise, it made sense to let the passenges tip only those people, but now that you can eat in the Dining Room, the Buffet, the Coffee Shop, The Bistro, the Pizzaria and the Grill - do you want to keep dropping a couple bucks on every table, or trying to remember all the names for 20 different envelopes? or is it easier to pay one tip for all the service, and let them apportion it?

As far as analogizing the surcharge to a new couch...when you buy furniture, it is a completed product, and alll the costs have been factored in, when it was priced. When you pay for a cruise, that won't leave the dock for a year, once a decade or so, the lines miscalculate their costs, and have a surcharge. As you know, if you have a car, the costs of fuel has been up and down, but mostly UP the last couple years.

As far as a contract, you do have one, and you should read it. You not only agreed to any surcharge, but you also agreed to a substitution of ship; any change in itenerary they like; to be confined to quarters or be put off the ship at any time for any reason; and a bunch of other stuff.

what happens if oil goes down $20-30 a barrel this year?Do the cruise lines keep a surcharge on forever?.

long cruiser

Not that that is likely, but it might drop back down to $60, and I am hoping that is why the "fuel surcharge" rather than a "fare increase"

Archived