Shiplife - Life of a Carnival Crewmember

DJ Eddy

I can answer that one for you William, I think Eddy has gone down the pub.

You can only miss a shift through sickness if the ships doctor signs you off & then you are confirmed to your cabin except to go for meals & you cant go ashore.

If you have a medical emergency while working onboard & have to be sent to hospital the company will pay all your medical bill & expenses while off the ship, dental problems will only be paid for if they are an emergency.

Regarding family emergencies, it really depends on the circumstances. If it is a death in the family the company will fly you home & send someone out to replace you.

When I worked onboard all females had to sign a form agreeing to dismissal & to pay for our own flight home if we became pregnant. :eek:

I think that Pregnancy clause is a terrible policy!!!

Thank you DJ for all your answers. Very interesting.

I'm cruising with my son in a few weeks on the Legend.

He will be graduating from college with a music degree next year.

He is a percussionist. Althought his minor is education his major is performance. Is there ever a chance to audition with the band leaders while on a cruise? Or is there a place to go where the band members are practicing?

I'd love for my son to get a chance to talk to someone about working on a cruiseship as a percussionist.

Any thoughts?

This is to funny. My son is also a music major. Music Performance with a minor in education. He plays tuba. He to loves to cruise. We are taking him and his girlfriend next march on her first cruise. Son said she needs to see what it is like.

He to is thinking of playing on a ship for a least one contract. He loves it. We are really good mothers aren't we.

Aaaaah, amen! :D

If it does then they must the strangest room stewards in the world..?

Most of the room stewards are asian (Phillipinos, Indonesians or Thailand) and they are very hospitable, if you tip them extra than the auto gratuity on the s&s card then they are very grateful. Plus if you tip them on the first day (because you like a certain thing doing every day) then they will definitely make sure that this is done. I have never known a steward be offended by tips.

Hi Eddy,

I've always wanted to work aboard a cruise ship. :D What do I need to apply for a job? I'm going to start my second (and last) year of college in the Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure program. :D I would want to work as a member of the cruise staff but not as the cruise director. Also, is it possible to get a contract where you could be at home for holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving (remember that here in Canada, Thanksgiving is at the beginning of October)? I don't know if I would like being away from my family for those holidays. If you need to email me some of this information (because it isn't allowed here on CC) my address is assumptionchic@gmail.com

Thanks!! :D Smooth sailing where ever you are and on what ever ship you're on (what ship are you on?)!! :D

Archived