American Airlines Cancellation Policy

Avril

I have a reservation on American Airlines to fly to Houston with my boyfriend for our cruise on the Carnival Conquest in February. :D We fly out on Feb 9th. I was just browsing airlines websites to see if I could find a better price and I found one with Southwest (over $100 cheaper). :D My question is, will I be able to cancel with AA and get a full refund or how much is the cancellation penalty? I just want to know wether I should take the flight with Southwest or stay with AA.

Thanks!! :D

I always fly with AA and book directly on their website, it depends on if you booked the "restricted" or unrestricted" price.

I always book restricted because it is cheaper but it is a non refundable fare, you can cancel to a later daye but you can't get a refund.

You will have to find out which way you booked.

I always fly with AA and book directly on their website, it depends on if you booked the "restricted" or unrestricted" price.

I always book restricted because it is cheaper but it is a non refundable fare, you can cancel to a later daye but you can't get a refund.

You will have to find out which way you booked.

How do I find out if my reservation is restricted or non restricted? I can't find it on my Review Reservation Details page on the AA website. :confused:

there is a 95% chance that this is a non-refund situation. Fully refundable tickets are crazy expensive. If you selected any type of 'cheaper' fare, its not refundable...unless you booked it through an employer or someone that may have a relationship with American Airlines.

Regardless, a change fee will be $100 per person, per ticket. This change fee will only allow you to change the flight dates and times, the city pairs in most cases can not be changed.

I'd just stay just stick with the AA ticket, chances are it will be less of a headache.

Yeah, you can't cancel without paying the fee and then it is only a voucher for exchange. No cash back. I went and booked my flight for the day after we get back from the cruise and just found out. So I called and found out I'd have to pay an additional $100.00 per person to change the date. UGH I told them leave it be and I'd get a hotel for the night again. Seems every move I make is costing us more and more on this deal. My fault entirely.

Yeah, you can't cancel without paying the fee and then it is only a voucher for exchange. No cash back. I went and booked my flight for the day after we get back from the cruise and just found out. So I called and found out I'd have to pay an additional $100.00 per person to change the date. UGH I told them leave it be and I'd get a hotel for the night again. Seems every move I make is costing us more and more on this deal. My fault entirely.

and people complain about the fuel surcharge...the airlines get away with whatever they want and noone says a thing!!!:confused:

How do I find out if my reservation is restricted or non restricted? I can't find it on my Review Reservation Details page on the AA website. :confused:

I would say unless you paid top dollar you will be on a restricted fare. You can figure this out based on your "Fare Class". It's usually a one letter designation. Y,K etc..

We usually book our air the day it opens, as we usually travel during December school break. (Christmas) The fares usually go up. One year, our fare went down. (to San Juan) I called American, and it cost me $50 pp to change to that lower fare. (they had to re-ticket us) However, the new tickets were each $150 lower than I had paid. So I spent $200, but still saved $400 when all was done. Got vouchers, which I used for our Valor cruise. It is worth a phone call. I usually find the American agents very nice, and they really try to help.

Archived