What to expect upon Checkin on NCL?

Babygirl5408

Hello Everyone!

I was hoping to gain some information about what the check in process is like. We are taking a taxi from the airport to the port but from there we are lost. I have heard several people discuss bags being checked. Do they check your bags on board? It seems a little confusing and I was wondering if someone could take me step by step as far as how NCL deals with check in starting when you get out of the cab. Just a little nervous because I don't know what to expect and have virtually no guidance. I really appreciate your input.

Tell your cabbie what ship you are leaving on. When you pull into the Port, he/she will drop you off in front of the terminal and unload your bags. There are many porters at the terminal (not employees of NCL) that will assist you with your bags, make sure that you have your NCL luggage tags already on them. Please remember to tip the porters.

You will then enter the terminal itself (with any rolling luggage you intend to bring on board yourself - we usually pack swimsuits, extra change of clothes in case there's a delay in getting our luggage, all meds, valuables, etc).

Once in the terminal there are employees of NCL who will ask to see your ticket and direct you from there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dont be nervous. Once you get out of the cab, a porter will direct you as to where you should drop off your bags. Go ahead and put the luggage tags that NCL sends to you on them after you get off the plane and claim your luggage. (assuming you are flying in). You will keep any carryons that you have. Consider putting some comfortable clothes in your carryon so you can change once you board the ship. Once you drop off the bags, you will follow the crowd into the port terminal and it is a breeze from there. Fill out your advance registration forms at NCL.com and have your credit card, ID and forms ready. You will get checked in at one of several stations in the terminal. They will take your picture and give you your Seapass card (or whatever name NCL calls it...it is the size of a credit card) which serves as your onboard charge card. You also need the passcard to get on and off of the ship. After you check in, follow the crowd onto the ship. They will check your card and check you in as you enter the ship. You be welcomed aboard....grab yourself a nice umbrella drink. You just hand your card to one of the many servers who have trays of drinks. If your room is ready, you can go and check it out. There will be announcements when the rooms are ready. If not, then just wander around the ship or stop at the dining room or buffet for your first of many wonderful meals. Listen to the announcements carefully until you get your bearing. And grab a Freestyle Daily to see what is happening for the sailaway parties.

Your luggage will arrive later in the day. They will bring it to your room and leave it outside the door. If you are in the room they will bring it in. You will probably run into your room steward also. I usually give them a 20 dollar bill upfront. I never need to ask for ice, towels, etc after that.

Be prepared for the muster drill (lifeboat drill). That will happen before you ever leave the dock. Dont consume too much before the drill. After that, go for it, if that is your thing.

You will spend the first day or two lost, but after that, you will feel right at home.

AND MOST OF ALL...ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!

If we filled out the advanced guest registration form online, we don't need to print it right? Or do we? And we need to print only our confirmation itinerary in order to board the ship? With id of course. Thanks so much, I'm starting to feel more at ease about the process.

Yes, go ahead and print the advance forms and bring them with you along with the documents that you will get in the mail. That will speed up the process.

And dont worry about the dock name. Just tell the cabbie which ship you are on and he will take you right up to the front door. You will be surprised at how painless the whole process is. Really. And they will take your picture as you are getting on the ship, so pretty yourself up! haha Part of the fun will be searching for all the pictures they take of your group throughout the cruise. They put them on display every day and it is like a scavenger hunt to locate yourself in the hundreds that are up there.

If we filled out the advanced guest registration form online, we don't need to print it right? Or do we? And we need to print only our confirmation itinerary in order to board the ship? With id of course. Thanks so much, I'm starting to feel more at ease about the process.

It's likely you won't need to worry about printing out the registration. However it's possible there could be a 'puter glitch when you get there & if you have it printed out it'll save you a couple minutes. No big deal either way.

Actually, it's also a good idea to print out the "ticket" from the edocs (I think that's what you mean by "confirmation itinerary") but to be honest, so long as you show up at the pier on time and with the proper ID, they can get you on the ship :D . I'm not exaggerating...even the docs aren't required (they just make it all a little easier)

Relax, have a good time & let us all know how it went when you get back.

I didn't receive any documents in the mail?:(

I only have the e-docs from the website. Is that what you are referring to?

Some people (for whatever reason) never receive a hard copy of their documents in the mail. Nothing to worry about. E-docs are just a good.

If you don't receive the documents in the mail, you can use the luggage tags at the pier. Make sure you take proper ID (either (a) drivers license and certified copy of birth certificate or (b) passport). Can't board without them.

if you will feel better with something in your hands, print the page (from your edocs) with just the "ticket" and one of the "ticket copy". something for your records and something to hand them. instead of answering a bunch of questions when i check-in, i hand them my copies of the registrations...they can get everything they need from that.

last cruise, at the new orleans terminal, they had a security officer checking for tickets..i am sure that if someone didn't have one, they had a way to check the passenger list. but those with the tickets in their hands got through faster. this is different at each teminal/port.

PLEASE..don't put your ID or paperwork in your the luggage you check, keep it in your purse or the luggage you are carrying on. you are going to go one way and your luggage another....you will meet back at your cabin later in the day.

This is great information! May I add a related question to the discussion?

My husband and I are taking just three bags, two medium wheeled and one carry on wheeled. Will we be permitted to take them on the ship ourselves? Are they setup to scan/search the bags in the arrival area?

This is great information! May I add a related question to the discussion?

My husband and I are taking just three bags, two medium wheeled and one carry on wheeled. Will we be permitted to take them on the ship ourselves? Are they setup to scan/search the bags in the arrival area?

Yep...they'll go thru an xray machine (like when you go through security at an airport) & it sounds like your's will fit no problem.

We are leaving on the Norwegian Sun from Miami Port-it says South American Way Dodge Island. Not really sure what that means though.

It means the cruise ship terminal is on South American Way (name of road) on Dodge Island. It's in Biscayne Bay.

Don't worry - the check-in is a real breeze.

ENJOY!!

Dodge Island is actually an island in which the port of Miami is located..

befor going to your ship just let the driver know what ship you ll be sailing on and they ll get you there..once there you ll unload your luggage the porter s will make sure they get on the ship..make sure the luggage is tag d with your cabin number and the tip the porter..if you don t..i have nt heard about any lost luggage..but, it may not get to your cabin :confused:

when you go up to the check-in have your pre-registration paper s ready..they ll want to see that on-board charge s are charge d to your

key..

the port and terminal s are big..so follow instructions and the other guests..you ll feel like cattle and it really doesn t feel like your on vacation

till you step foot on the ship..ENJOY!!:p

You might want to rethink that, especially if you are going up to the buffet to eat. Every ship we have been on, has been crowded with people and luggage, and it's hard enough to get around with just our carry-ons, unless you are getting there after 1-2, and can get into your room..then it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Archived