Montego Bay: What's It REALLY Like?

Bootman4U

We have been to Ocho Rios several times but never to Montego Bay. Our cruise this coming December makes a stop there and I have "heard" everything about the place, mostly bad: that it is run down and shabby; that people 'outside the chain link fence' can be nasty; that there's really not a whole lot to do, etc., and the usual less-than-ideal "information."

On this particular cruise we would probably be content not to get off and enjoy the pool when it is deserted but I've never been deterred before because somebody having a bad hair day didn't like a place.

Any suggestions on things not to miss or simply comments in general, both good and bad, would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

We were on the Carnival Conquest 7 day cruise and first stop was in Montego. My wife, 2 boys and I were about to get off the boat and they informed us they didn't to get off the ship, so they could stay at KIDS CARNIVAL (WONDERFUL!!). We are so thankful they did. Very DIRTY country. We took the bus to a location where they let us get off and shop. Huge mistake! Everyone...EVERYONE was pulling us to come and take a look at their "HANDMADE" items. My wife pulled me aside and said let's go. So...we went to Margaritaville. Very happening place. We had a drink, and watched people swiming out back. Very cool swim area. We had heard of a beach just down the way, so I decided we would walk, take a look at a few shops on the way and...WHAM! At least 4-5 people on the way to the beach tried to sell us WEED!! Of course we said "NO THANKS"!

The beach was suppose to be private, but when you have someone come up to you in the water and offer you some weed. That's not that private!

The beach did have a great area for snorkeling! We did enjoy that.

Overall...you might just want to get off the ship and stay close...very close! There are shops there in the terminal.

HAVE FUN!

etsafetyman!:confused:

There is an all inclusive resort called Sunset Beach which is near the pier. I would take a JUTA taxi to get there. Very inexpensive. The cost for the resort is $40 per adult and $20 for kids. It is a safe place to go.

Of course there is Margaritaville too!!

Robb

There is an all inclusive resort called Sunset Beach which is near the pier. I would take a JUTA taxi to get there. Very inexpensive. The cost for the resort is $40 per adult and $20 for kids. It is a safe place to go.

Of course there is Margaritaville too!!

Robb

Yes, the all inclusive is a great idea, compared to the cruise lines all inclusive, with just the same, just twice as much.

They have there own beach, pools, waterpark, unlimited food (buffet) and both non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks. I beleive they also have non motorized water sports such as a paddleboat, kayak, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

IF you have never been, please get off the ship and make your own decisions. and NO TOTO, your not in Kansas anymore. IT is a poor island and the locals are pushy selling you anything they can..but that is how they make a living. Just say NO and keep going. Do not venture on your own, stay with a tour. Try some local food, buy the Blue Mountain Coffee, keep an open mind and have a good time. You will appreciate what you have at home a lot more!! The all inclusive resorts are good, if you are looking for tame, with the kids. Look into the tubing trip, that is fun with kids and you'll get to see some of Jamaica.!!

We were just in Jamaica on the Conquest on Jan 16th. I had prebooked a tour with A-Z Planners before we left home. A driver met us as soon as we left the ship. He had an air conditioned van for four of us ( we were traveling together). The first stop was at Rockland Bird Sanctuary. It was about a 20 - 30 min drive from the terminal. I had heard that the road was very bad, but it wasn't all that bad. We were the only people there and within about 15 minutes we had hummingbirds sitting on our finger feeding out of a bottle we held with the other hand. Then Fritz, the caretaker, took us on a short walk, pointing out plants and other birds. We were there for about 2 hours, it was our choice when to leave. Our next stop was the Pork pit where we had lunch--jerk pork and chicken which was very good. Then our guide dropped us off at Dr's Cave Beach. The admission was included in the tour price. The change rooms/bathrooms were very clean, the beach was beautiful, and there were no vendors hassling us. Our driver asked what time we wanted to be picked up and he was there on the dot. On the way back to the ship he drove through the downtown area. We weren't interested in shopping, so he just gave us a quick tour. Throughout the day, Mark, our guide would tell us things about Jamaica and the people and answered questions we had about life there. We felt perfectly safe all day and I would highly recommend this tour or you can create your own intineray. He suggested Mayfield falls was really nice. This tour would be great for kids; they would love the bird sanctuary and the beach was safe for kids too. There is some snorkling there, but not much. We picked up a few souveniers ( fridge magnets, postcards) at the terminal before we got back on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

We have enjoyed ports of call in both Ocho Rios (last year) and MoBay this year, in fact were in Mobay 2 weeks ago.

It is true that Jamaica is not for everyone, but by choosing private tours and making up our own itinerary (with suggestions/input from the driver/guides) Jamaica has given us 2 excellent days out. Staying in MoBay itself for the day is probably the worst thing you could do there.

There were 4 of us wanting different activities for some of the time so we paid for only the driver/guide and transport with entry costs being paid individually along the way. All 4 of us wanted to go to YS Falls, well worthy the 2 hour drive because you get to see the scenic more mountainous area, on arrival one paid extra to zipline, (it is entirely possible to stay there a full day as there is a swimming pool, small cafe etc) we then returned towards MoBay by a different scenic route, stopping at Rocklands Bird Sanctuary, an enchanting place where 3 of us fed the hummingbirds, we then went on a few more minutes to Lethe where 2 of us took one of the rafting trips.....a leisurely, 45 minute totally relaxing raft ride with our boatman punting us along the shaded waters, with birds, fish, goats, people washing their laundry etc on the banks along the way. A few minutes later we had a brief stroll with our driver/guide through central MoBay, looking at Sam Sharpe Sq, the slave pens, the area immediately around SS SQ. This was enough for us. MoBay itself is probably not for the faiunt hearted and was incredibly hot after the higher, cooler and shaded areas in which we had spent the rest of our day.

You could look at all the info there is available on sightseeing and activities in and fairly near to MoBay then decide for yourselves what you would like to do with your time there. Alternatively contact a company for help and suggestions. It may cost less if you are more people.....are you on a Roll Call? This way you can be sure that your day will be a happy one.

There are a number of recommendations on the boards. This time we used a person not previously mentioned and Philip ensured everything went well on the day. At no time did we feel unsafe. He was also very prompt with email replies and with shaping our ideas into a proper itinerary allowing for driving time, scenery etc.

http://www.phillipcountrytours.com/

Just come back from a cruise and spent 2 days in Montego Bay. (2 Tuesdays in a row) on a British ship Ocean Village. The first weeks we made our way to the port area. Approved taxis and mini buses are allowed into the port area. We joined with 6 other people waiting and negosiated a price of 9$ per hour each.We had a lovely taxi driver. We had a 4 hour trip. We firstly went to the ********* House which used to be the home of Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning and then onto the Rose House which was a great house in the hay day of sugar plantations and slaves. They were both beautifullly restored and very interesting. Admission was 14$ to the ********* House & 20$ each to the Rose House. Perhaps a little heavy but you do get a private guide who is well informed, sings you a little song and the whole experience is enjoyable. You get beautiful views of the sea and they have lovely gardens. We were then taken to see some of the elaberate homes where the rich people live. I was not afraid once, was never harrassed and every one I met was very pleasant. It was nice to be in a group though.

The second Tuesday, our last day ,as we were flying home in the evening so we took a ships tour to Marthas Bray and did the Bamboo rafting. That was such fun. If you have ever punted in Oxford and Cambridge in England you would know what I mean only the rafts are made of bamboo rather than wood. Two people sit down and the guide stands at the front of the raft with a large pole and punts you down the river telling you all about the wildlife as you go. Then we were taken shopping to a centre where we were not intimidated. We were driven through the centre of Montego Bay and not a single white face was to be seen. That was one place I would not walk around.

If you stick to the ships tours or go with a group and take a mini bus independently inside the port area I think you will be okay. it is such a pity to stay on the ship as the island is very beautiful.

Archived