How casual/dressy to pack?

calenita

How casual is casual for Freestyle? How dressy do people get in the dining rooms/restaruants or in the evening at entertainment. I just don't want to pack tons of extra stuff. We want to pack light so I was thinking one reversible skirt, one pair of capris and a few tops to make various outfits for myself. In the day I plan on being in my swimsuit or shorts. DH does NOT want to take a suit or suit jacket. I thought kakhis for him, Hawaiian shirt or button down short sleeved shirt - loafers. For myself skirts and sweater tops, sandals. Do I need heels? What about our children -DD13, DS 11, DS 7 - DS11 asked me if he could just take his swimsuit and stay in his swimsuit all day! :)

Thanks all. Looking forward to 9 day Jewel cruise in February.

How casual is casual for Freestyle? How dressy do people get in the dining rooms/restaruants or in the evening at entertainment. I just don't want to pack tons of extra stuff. We want to pack light so I was thinking one reversible skirt, one pair of capris and a few tops to make various outfits for myself. In the day I plan on being in my swimsuit or shorts. DH does NOT want to take a suit or suit jacket. I thought kakhis for him, Hawaiian shirt or button down short sleeved shirt - loafers. For myself skirts and sweater tops, sandals. Do I need heels? What about our children -DD13, DS 11, DS 7 - DS11 asked me if he could just take his swimsuit and stay in his swimsuit all day! :)

Thanks all. Looking forward to 9 day Jewel cruise in February.

You can be as casual as you want or as dressy as you want, the choice is yours personally. There will be people who will always dress, and there will be people who prefer to be very casual. It's all up to whatever makes you feel comfortable on your vacation. :)

Obviously, your 11 year old will have to wear something other than a bathing suit to eat dinner even at the buffet. :)

I have sailed on NCL several times, and have always taken dressy outfits. This time I'm taking all casual. Slacks and blouses, sweater tops, flats for the evening~ for the first time I'm not taking a formal dress, and no heels this time! We just want to relax this vacation, away from the hustle and bustle. We will not wear jeans in the dining room, although there usually is one DR that allows it. What you've suggested taking will be fine, although I agree that the kids probably should wear something besides their swim wear to dinner. Have a great cruise!!

We just got off our first NCL cruise on the PoAM, and it was very casual. Dockers/golf shirts/hawaiian shirts were more the norm for men than anything else. I did see a few ties in the dining rooms, but the majority was dockers and golf shirts. More men wore tennis shoes with their dockers than I would have guessed. On our next cruise, I'm going to let our 13 y/o son just take tennies. We would tend to put shorts or jeans back on after dinner and just be comfy all night.

Mark

I just read Cruise Critic's professional review for the Majesty, which is the ship I'll be sailing on soon. Here's what it had to say about the dress code:

Quote: For ladies, "Resort casual" attire means sundresses, blouses, sweaters, slacks and skirts. For men "Resort casual" attire means shirts with collars, such as polo shirts, and khakis or trousers. Jeans, shorts, T-shirts, swimsuits and beachwear are not permitted in the restaurants after 5:30 p.m. Dressing up is always an option for everyone. The tradition of mandatory "formal nights" on NCL ships has been changed to optional formal nights.

The only thing I'd like to add is that, on the Majesty at least, jeans ARE allowed in one of the 2 dining rooms.

I have sailed on NCL several times, and have always taken dressy outfits. This time I'm taking all casual. Slacks and blouses, sweater tops, flats for the evening~ for the first time I'm not taking a formal dress, and no heels this time! We just want to relax this vacation, away from the hustle and bustle. We will not wear jeans in the dining room, although there usually is one DR that allows it. What you've suggested taking will be fine, although I agree that the kids probably should wear something besides their swim wear to dinner. Have a great cruise!!

Hey luv2gocruzin...We will be there the same time also..We too are only taking casual wear...No dresses or Suits this time. I've been reading different stories, which of the 2 restuarants do you know allows nice dress jeans? four season or the seven seasons

Thanks all for the information! I think I will just go with flats - comfy! I'll tell my boys to take hawaiian shirts for the dining room and some 'decent' shorts. The rest of the time - DS can stay in his swimsuit! Looking forward to it.

Archived