Need Help From the Experts

CruisinMommas

Ok another LA hotel question and more.

We are staying in Santa Monica before our cruise to HI in April. I got my hotel suggestion from this boad. We are traveling by train and will arrive at Amtrak station.

Now for the Questions:

-Will we be able to pick up a shuttle from the train station to our hotel in Santa Monica and then a shuttle to the ship in San Pedro?

-Next we will we be able to get a shuttle from the ship to a hotel in LA?

-Most important we are trying to find a hotel somewhere near the train station on Alameda and the Wilshire Plaza on Wilshire keeps on popping up.

- What about this area? We would still like to see some sights before the train leaves.

Thanks.

I posted this question in the wrong place originally so some of you might have read this twice.

Ok another LA hotel question and more.

We are staying in Santa Monica before our cruise to HI in April. I got my hotel suggestion from this boad. We are traveling by train and will arrive at Amtrak station.

Now for the Questions:

-Will we be able to pick up a shuttle from the train station to our hotel in Santa Monica and then a shuttle to the ship in San Pedro?

-Next we will we be able to get a shuttle from the ship to a hotel in LA?

-Most important we are trying to find a hotel somewhere near the train station on Alameda and the Wilshire Plaza on Wilshire keeps on popping up.

- What about this area? We would still like to see some sights before the train leaves.

Thanks.

I posted this question in the wrong place originally so some of you might have read this twice.

Your questions in order...

Yes, shuttles are easy, but won't be waiting around.

Get the number for Super Shuttle or similar and make a reservation and arrangement before. Especially from the downtown train station.

Also do that before so that you have something from the pier, but then again, there will most likely be some waiting around in general from there.

Just not sure why exactly you would want to stay at Wilshire Plaza if you are going to Santa Monica?

Can you elaborate more, as that will help more people weigh in...

Your questions in order...

Yes, shuttles are easy, but won't be waiting around.

Get the number for Super Shuttle or similar and make a reservation and arrangement before. Especially from the downtown train station.

Also do that before so that you have something from the pier, but then again, there will most likely be some waiting around in general from there.

Just not sure why exactly you would want to stay at Wilshire Plaza if you are going to Santa Monica?

Can you elaborate more, as that will help more people weigh in...

Thanks for popping on. Before the cruise we are staying at Cal Mar as per your suggestion along while ago and doing some sight seeing. After the cruise we are staying one more night wanted to see some more sights but thought it would be to our advantage to be closer to the train station but in a decent area. When I did a search Wilshire Plaza seemed to pop up.

Will get in touch with Super Shuttle soon.

I hope I explained myself better.

As many of the regulars here know, I advise against staying downtown. Usually those who stay in a hotel there are businesspeople who are only going to the Convention Center and not elsewhere (especially not planning to walk around downtown), people who really can't afford a decent hotel, and those who are unfamiliar with (and don't have a board of natives to advise them). My hubby works downtown at City Hall and he wouldn't recommend to anyone to stay here.

Not sure when your train is leaving, but maybe it would be better to check out another area and just make sure you get up really early. A key thing to remember is if you get an extremely low hotel rate, there may be a reason.

Okay, If I have this straight, you're at the Car Mar in Santa Monica pre-cruise...and you are departing by Amtrak the day after the cruise ends and you want a hotel for a one-night post cruise NEAR UNION STATION? And thats why the question about the Wilshire Plaza...correct?

Okay...here's the deal on Downtown LA...It's not the best area for tourists...There are a lot of major office buildings in Downtown--Large corporations, banks, stock brokerages, law firms...they're full of bankers, lawyers and business people from 8-5, Monday through Friday...then they empty out at night and on weekends...and Downtown becomes somewhat scary...Most of the hotels there (there's also the Bonaventure, the Sheraton, the Biltmore and others) exist for folks on business trips conducting business with all those firms downtown...That's why you can usually find some great hotel deals there on Fri/Sat/Sun...

Although there is some "gentrification" starting, Downtown is still not an area with much upscale residential life...

With all that, there are a few things worth seeing in the downtown area...Olvera Street, the Bradbury Building...but not much more...

Another option would be to stay in Hollywood--say at the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland..Save your Hollywood area tourist stuff for that day...then check out the next day and take the Metro straight into Union Station to pick up your train...

Good luck...

Thanks Steve that is what I needed to hear. I was not sure about the area. We chatted early last year. It was right about the time you were coming to NJ that we chatted.Originally we were going to go to Vegas, but that changed. So I am off on the computer to look for another place.

Another option would be to stay in Hollywood--say at the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland..Save your Hollywood area tourist stuff for that day...then check out the next day and take the Metro straight into Union Station to pick up your train...

We will have to take a taxi from that area due to luggage, so I am guessing rush hour is all day long in LA especially on a Friday. If I left the Hollywood area around 3:30- 4:00pm is that allowing enough time to get to the station by 6:00?

Do taxis out there have luggage limits/charges?

I am sure the more I think the more questions I will come up with.

Who knew it would be that easy.

Thanks for all you help really appreciate it. I have my reservation and it was easy. I took Steve's suggestion on the Renaissance.

Probably will not have to book a tour seems like this place is right near a lot of things. So will catch up on whatever I missed in thefront. I will take it easy before and we can catch up on our rest and time change before we sail.

We will have to take a taxi from that area due to luggage, so I am guessing rush hour is all day long in LA especially on a Friday. If I left the Hollywood area around 3:30- 4:00pm is that allowing enough time to get to the station by 6:00?

Do taxis out there have luggage limits/charges?

I am sure the more I think the more questions I will come up with.

If I were you, I would check with Amtrak about what time you actually need to be there to check in your luggage. I seem to remember that Amtrak wanted us to get to the Seattle station about 90 minutes prior to our scheduled departure back in 2004.

If I were you' date=' I would check with Amtrak about what time you actually need to be there to check in your luggage. I seem to remember that Amtrak wanted us to get to the Seattle station about 90 minutes prior to our scheduled departure back in 2004.[/quote']

I will check I think it is 60 mins. Train does not pull out until 7 something. I will be there in time, you better believe that. Thanks for your kindness.

Archived