I'm Waiting for the First Cruise Ship that .....

zorrosuncle

My pet peeve is looking at the cruise line website for a cruise and having nothing come up if I put in one passenger, then if I change it to two the screen fills up with cruises I want to take. The cabins are either available or they are not but they don't even show them if they think there's only one cruiser.

On the cruise I am on in April I was able to get my cabin a year ago by putting in 1 passenger. When I was checking prices again recently, I put in 1 and there were no cabins! I thought my category had sold out, but then I put in 2, and the category came up again (at $1000 more than what I paid). My guess is that they are selling out so they probably don't want to sell to any more solos (for that category).

However, if I wanted to book that cabin today, I would just book it for 2 (since I have to pay 200% anyway), then during check in just tell them the other person couldn't make it.

Of course, I couldn't afford the cruise if I bought it today. I'm glad I reserved it a year ago! :D

You have to look at it this way---if they sold all their cabins to singles, who would only pay the first person rate, they would lose a lot of money. And then there's the whole issue of the workers losing out on their gratuities when it's only singles in a cabin. There is absolutely no way to have an all single ship as we would have to pay thousands per cruise to make the line profitable. I'm not a fan of the single supplement, but there's nothing that can be done either you pay it or you don't cruise. Personally, I prefer a cruise to a solo land vacation anytime. BTW, you're never going to see a restaurant charging single supplements. You're comparing apples to avocados with that one. But I have had European hotels charge me double for their rooms---never had that happen in the US.

BTW, if you're paying double fuel surcharges and double the port taxes, you need a new travel agent as you're getting ripped off. You NEVER pay double port charges as a single and the cruise line's charge for the fuel supplement is per person, not per cabin, so you do not pay double the fuel supplement.

Boy . . . I agree with everthing you said!!!!! As a solo cruiser . . . I get so upset with having to pay for two everytime I take a cruise. If only they would let my puppy dog cruise with me . . . she eats twice as much as I do! Tee Hee . . . .

I would love to see single cabins - just if they could offer some single rooms on each ship would be wonderful. I can't afford to pay 200%, and it's not easy (at least for me) to find someone to travel with.

I would be willing to share a bathroom, if I could save money that way (some Bed & Breakfasts to this, too). Doesn't sharing a bathroom beat being matched up with a stranger to share the entire room? And hey - if this were an option, those solo travellers who want to pay double can still get their entire room and bathroom to themselves.

Single rooms and/or sharing a bathroom would just be providing more options, and those are options I, for one, would love to see...

Archived