Booking specialty restaurants - Jewel

I cruised on the Jewel back in March 2006 but I wanted to know what its policy is now on booking specialty restaurants.

When we cruised on the Jewel back then you could call to make reservations for the week upon boarding and there was an automatic 1/2 price if you had an early reservation. From a brief glance at some recent posts it appears that this policy has changed. Any help is appreciated.

I was on the Pearl in 2007, you could only make reservations for that night or the following night. You just end up getting up at 7am and calling to make a reservation for the following evening - at least you can do that from your room though.

It has become a no win situation for the cruise line and passengers. When NCL first adopted the "freestyle" policy you could only book reservations the day of or day before. Then due to so many complaints the policy was changed to what you remember. Guess what? NCL had many customers that said, booking speicailty dining rooms upon arrival on the ship wasn't truely freestyle. What did NCL do? They reverted back to plan one. I personally like booking the day we get on the ship. Anyway, now you have to book no more than 36 hours in advance. As for 1/2 off, that depends on the ship; some give it for early dining, some for late dining, some on embarkation day. BTW, don't go rushing to the reservations desk at 7am like so many others. Wait until after breakfast, there will be no crowds and you will still be able to get the reservations you want most of the time. The later in the week you try and book, the harder it is to get what you want.

Nita

If you are in a suite you can prebook for the entire nine days, we did it before we even got on the ship, if you are not you can only do it a day in advance. I would suggest trying to book for off times, not the most popular dinner rush times. Mama's (which we loved btw) was especially hard to get into, as is teppanyaki due to the limited seating. La Bistro didn't seem full either time we were there neither was cagneys.

I could be reading this wrong, but I think Starfamily was saying that the day they boarded they were able to book all 9 nights in a specialty restaurant. I don't believe she meant they were able to book before boarding.

Never heard of it also...awaiting Starfamily's response:)

I simply emailed Alex Forbes- the best concierge in the world and asked him if it was possible to arrange things pre cruise, I was most concerned about getting my spa appointments for Christmas morning. He is a fantastic man aka the magic maker- and our dining was set up as well as my spa appointments about three weeks prior to embarkation. I gave him 100.00 as soon as we got on the ship for his over and above accomodating of my family. Thinking back I wish now I gave him 200.00 from the get go- he did get some more as the cruise went on but he really went over and above for us pre cruise. I do not think it is the norm to be able to get reservations pre-done. There is a form in your cabin if you are in a suite where you can fill it out for the entire cruise as well as the menus to decide.

Archived