How often do kids' programs get "merged"?

MamaParrotHead

We're planning on travelling (Carnival Glory) the week after Thanksgiving, and due to the low prices I'm assuming demand isn't usually THAT high during that time. Based on that fact, I'm thinking there won't be many other kids sailing with us. True or false?

If not, I've been reading about the kids programs merging when there aren't many kids. How likely is it that this may happen? I'm not opposed to it, just curious. THe kids travelling with us will be 4, 6 and 10.

Thanks!

Our nearly 12 year olds would have loved to have more merging last week on the Valor so that they could have participated in the same group as their big sister. They had a few scheduled activities together but not any spontaneous merging. There were 500 kids on board though.

Karysa

We've cruised several times after Thanksgiving/before Christmas and they have never merged the groups in our experience. There was 38 kids aboard in the 12-14 age group on our Conquest cruise in the first week in Dec. I don't know about the 2-5 age group that DD was in, but I never saw more than 20 little ones in the playroom.

We went on Navigator of the Seas last Easter Break and once they did merge. It was a port day when my husband and I want to the Caymen Island and dd BEGGED us that she rather go to the kids club. We got back around 2pm after doing some beach time and waverunners and the 3-5 and 6-8yr olds were merged because there was only about 12 of them. She said they weren't merged the whole time but she (5 at the time) was happy for the merge. None of the kids seem to mind. They had a huge room to themselves and were playing freeze tag! :D Otherwise they were never merged.

You will be surprise that pretty much anytime of the year, there will be kids. Many parents will pull their kids out a week then pay the holiday prices of not only the cruise by airfare too.

I was on Celebrity Summit the week after Thanksgiving and there were 6 school age kids on board, and practically no kid's program. Four of the kids were from Denmark and the other two were from the US, so they really didn't do much for the kids other than keep them busy. Right now, I'm on Celebrity Constellation and there are 9 school age kids on board, and again, not that much of a program for the kids.

We've been on 3 Carnival cruises the week after Thanksgiving and the amount of kids on board is very low -- about 100 or so. Our experience is that the younger age groups (3 - 8) have been merged sometimes. Not for the whole week, but for particluar activities or a period of time.

The older age groups (9 and above) have not merged. However, the counselors have been more lenient about letting a slightly oder or younger sibling/cousin join in the group for the week. My boys are 1 year apart and the counselors have let my youngest go to the older group when we asked.

Archived