Does NCL have speakers or lectures about the islands we will visit?

Palm_trees

I am doing every thing I can to read up about the islands our cruise will be visiting on my next cruise. I remember Alaskan cruises had some great guest lectures about what we were seeing. While few cruisers are as curious as me, I suspect there are still many people who would like to hear more about the islands than where the best shopping is located. You can only learn so much by reading.

How about a guest lecture about the history, climate, ecology, government, culture and challenges of the islands we will visit. Will NCL have any guest lectures on their Caribbean cruises?

I am doing every thing I can to read up about the islands our cruise will be visiting on my next cruise. I remember Alaskan cruises had some great guest lectures about what we were seeing. While few cruisers are as curious as me, I suspect there are still many people who would like to hear more about the islands than where the best shopping is located. You can only learn so much by reading.

How about a guest lecture about the history, climate, ecology, government, culture and challenges of the islands we will visit. Will NCL have any guest lectures on their Caribbean cruises?

I have not seen this done for the Caribbean. The only discussions about the islands have to do with shopping and excursions.

PE

we had a couple (a married couple) on the spirit cruise in december. they did lectures on mayan ruins, coral reefs and such. the only thing, they are retired middle school teachers and the lectures were like being back in school...a lot of facts and slides, but everything was like a school book...not personal experience. with the slide show they had, my hubby could have used their notes and made a much more interesting talk. (they were monotone)

since we were doing a maya ruin, the next day, help me understand more of what the tour guide told us.

Normally the cruise lines, not just NCL do not have much in the way of lecturers for the shorter cruises or the Caribbean. It is Alaska, Panama Canal and those types of itineraries that come complete with pre information. Of course as mentioned there are those who will give the port talks on shopping, touring and maybe a little history of the islands.

Nita

Toyz,

We had a similar experience on the Star. I am knowledgeable in the field that our lecturer covered and found it horrifying to say the least. I don't care that he has a PhD in some totally unrelated field. His information was incorrect, his spellings atrocious and his facts inaccurate. It was obvious that he hadn't visited any of the places that he spoke of because he had the names of the places and the sites totally wrong. I left halfway through shaking my head.

Does saying that you were a teacher automatically qualify you as a lecturer?

Anybody know how one gets such a job?

I did mention on my comment card what a disservice this was to passengers. I felt that they figured that we were all ignorant enough about this topic that we wouldn't know that much of this lecture was inaccurate and hardly done by an expert in the field. There were many people who attended this lecture and I felt bad that they were getting accurate information.

Archived