Parents with Infants, Take Heed

kitty9

I can't help myself....

Lets not forget about the cruisers on the other end of the age spectrum. I doubt the cruise ship doctor is fully versed in geriatrics either! :D Yet, I don't see them staying home either...

Just to note for you, NEVER did I say in any of my posts that parents shouldn't take infants on cruises. I only said they need to remain vigilant regarding their care. As for geriatrics, the things that happen with older people are taken care of by physicians who aren't versed in that specialty. But taking care of infants is a whole different story since cruise ships do not stock medicines for infants.

And I can attest that when my mom, who's 80, broke her hip on Millennium a year ago, she didn't get the best of care either, so everyone needs to be vigilant when anyone needs the services of the ship's medical center. Heck, when I fell on a tender on Legend, it took the doctor three attempts before he could figure out how to use and read the xray machines.

I can't help myself....

Lets not forget about the cruisers on the other end of the age spectrum. I doubt the cruise ship doctor is fully versed in geriatrics either! :D Yet, I don't see them staying home either...

I would think a cruise ship doctor would have a lot of geriatric experience. :p

Three points to tag onto this:

1--If they did not have passports, they could have gotten OFF at Aruba, or any other Caribbean island. They just could NOT have gotten a flight back to the US since a passport would be required. Some thing to think about if you are a non-passport cruiser.

2--Maybe the infant had some sort of lung problem where the doctor recommended that she NOT be put on an airplane...?

3--When traveling with my 90 year-old Grandmother, so fell and injured her knee on the Disney Magic. Over the next few days, it began to swell, and she developed a fever. We spent two of our port-days with her at the local hospital (St. Maarten, St. Thomas) and the fluid from her knee was drained. When she got back on-board after the 2nd day at the hospital, we HAD to sign a waiver stating that we understood that our Grandmother was ill and by not terminating our cruise we were committing to paying any/all fuel charges (EEEK!) should the ship have to defer its course in order to have her removed due to a worsening of her condition. Despite that nasty "threat", we opted to stay o-board, and she was just fine by the end-of-the-cruise. Longest 7-day cruise ever though...

CeleBrat

Archived