Life Boat Drill

kittygrace

Princess has their Muster Drills inside, air conditioned with seating. Very comfortable. Often wondered why all cruiselines don't do this.

I don't get panic attacks but I can tell you there were a couple of times crammed together, sweating like crazy, with those life vests on thinkining this thing better end soon or I might pass out. I can certainly see if someone is prone to panic attacks that could be a place where it would happen. Good luck to you Kitty, I'm sure if you can get a spot in the front you'll be just fine.

Cosmopolitan

The lack of sympathy and understanding was largely due to the fact that the original post started off like this....

"I AM NOT GOING TO THE LIFEBOAT DRILL!"

IF the poster had of simply stated the problem she had with panic attacks and the fear she had of attending the drill and having an attack occur, the reaction from a lot of us would have been totally different.

I am not a bad guy, but some folks think that rules dont apply to them and that was my first impression from the way her post began.

I was just about ready to post a third comment saying just this same thing. There have been some kind comments and some harsh comments by people who may not understand panic attacks, but the fault lies with OP and the way she worded her statement. She needs to take responsibility for the responses rather than being defensive. She has not yet admitted that it was her fault (unless I missed it in this hurried reading).

I don't get panic attacks but I can tell you there were a couple of times crammed together, sweating like crazy, with those life vests on thinkining this thing better end soon or I might pass out.

I was going to say the same thing. Once I was outside, in the heat, completely surrounded by very tall men who had been drinking and had body odor, too. I'm 5'2" and they blocked my view completely. I thought I was going to pass out.

We were so crammed in and I could not help wondering what I learned in case of an emergency. Absolutely nothing!

Also, I always arrive about 5 mins before, and each time, the room attendant is knocking on my door to be sure I know I must attend. I don't see how it's possible to hide. If you go to the drill and check in, then leave, aren't the crew bugging you about going, not knowing you did already?

It's a totally miserable experience, but it's at the beginning of the cruise and it's over so quickly, and most importantly, it's the law, so you must do it.

I would ask to stand in the front and I'd focus on a point way out in front of you, to avoid being trapped.

Felicia

KittyGrace,

Being claustrophic is the pits and it does seem like we are always squeezed into the back against a wall or partition with lots of tall/slightly overweight passengers pushing against us! However, on our Norwegian Gem cruise over New Years it was no problem-everyone's muster station was inside the ship-ours in the Martini Bar lounge. We got there, took a seat for maybe 15 minutes - piece of cake.

People keep saying that it is the OPs fault that so many reacted badly because she stayed in bold that she was not going to the life boat drill. She also posted in the first post that she has terrible panic attacks. I don't know if you guys stopped reading after the second sentence and didn't make it to the fourth. I was initially annoyed, made it to sentence 4 and understood. I love when people try to justify being harsh :)

KittyGrace,

Being claustrophic is the pits and it does seem like we are always squeezed into the back against a wall or partition with lots of tall/slightly overweight passengers pushing against us! However, on our Norwegian Gem cruise over New Years it was no problem-everyone's muster station was inside the ship-ours in the Martini Bar lounge. We got there, took a seat for maybe 15 minutes - piece of cake.

Claustrophobia and panic attacks are two different things!

The OP did explain it...some refused to read what she was saying.

Panic attacks do NOT only happen "inside"...they happen at any time (when you least expect it) inside or outside!

Given that the op stated that she was not going to attend the mandatory drill, I think most responses, my own included, were quite mild compared to what they might have been.

Thanks for sharing that.:rolleyes: Five days after the last post on this. Feel better now?

Given that the op stated that she was not going to attend the mandatory drill, I think most responses, my own included, were quite mild compared to what they might have been.

I am the OP and I have posted that I will go to the drill. I'm sorry I ever started this thread and see the error in my ways. I wish there was a way I could close the thread because it just won't go away. If you would read the entire thread and my comments along the way, you would see that I've had a change of heart.

I am the OP and I have posted that I will go to the drill. I'm sorry I ever started this thread and see the error in my ways. I wish there was a way I could close the thread because it just won't go away. If you would read the entire thread and my comments along the way, you would see that I've had a change of heart.

That takes a big heart to say! Thanks for sharing. And it was a worthwhile discussion for many of us, I'm sure.

I agree with salty dingo and would like to wish you all the best on your 1/27/08 cruise - please do report back!! Happy cruising dear! Hopefully this thread has made you realize that you will make your best effort on this coming cruise, knowing how important it is.

ENJOY!!!

Archived