Destiny Review Dec. 9-16 Part 2

ECP

St. Thomas, USVI:

December 10, 2007 - 6:30AM: Arrh! It was Lee's idea to bring an alarm clock, first we viewed the harbour as we came in to dock (did I mention I love balconies), and then we were off to the racetrack. She decided to run one mile, and I as the smarter one decided to walk around track instead, I also took the opportunity to take a few more pictures of the harbour. Then we returned to the cabin for a quick shower and watched another ship docking.

IM000407.JPG

By 8AM we were in the buffet lines getting our breakfast, Sonya found us and we discussed our options using some notes taken off CC on my laptop. All three of us took a taxi to downtown and hit the open market and surrounding stores. Knowing I would probably be doing a lot of walking that week I picked up a pair of Converse sneakers (a fellow passenger later told me that not only did I get a good deal, but also the type I bought were very hard to get a hold of), and Lee a few souvenirs. We also took some more pictures - the ship in the middle is the Destiny.

IM000422.JPG

At this time we also ran into a gentleman offering tours of the island, we agreed to meet by the bell in the small park behind the open air market by noon, then we all separated to do our own shopping. After picking up a few items Lee and I meet by the bell, there was no sign of Sonya (turns out she misheard and thought we were to meet in the market). Anyway the park was also interesting to look around the local schools had each decorated a tree for Christmas.

IM000428.JPG

The tour was interesting in itself, only costing $20 a person we were taken to viewpoints high above the town/harbour and a number of historic points for photos. But it weird being driven on the left side of the road while the van's steering column is still on it's North American side.

IM000445.JPG

Returning to port we tried out the shops in the welcome center, to our surprise prices were not high than downtown, we could have done most of our shopping here and saved on travel time. Additionally, Lee want some more money so we went search for a Canadian bank. The bank of Nova Scotia was at the end of the center but could not access her all her accounts, we are not sure why. We did however run across this flower basket on the way back to the ship.

IM000466.JPG

I can't find my capers to confirm my memory, I can't even remember if it was before or after dinner where we traded stories on our adventure on travel in St. Thomas. But I believe this was the night of the Captain's gala. Our invite was to the Point After Dance Club, where we meet the captain and other crew members. Sonya however, was at the larger stage gathering at The Criterion Lounge. We only found out later after it was all over. Remember if going with others to check that you all will meet in the same place.

Archived