Private Dive Operators in Grand Cayman and Cozumel

jdbmga

Does someone know of any dive operators that are close to where the boat docks where DH, who is certified already, and I can dive to complete my open water "check out" dives.

I am having trouble finding ones that are close to the dock that do this.

I am looking both in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I would like to do 2 dives at each port.

I am new to cruising and planning an excursion on my own is making me a little nervous but since DH is certified and I am not it's making it difficult to book through the ship unless he took the course again with me and then we'd only be diving in Cozumel not Grand Cayman.

Thank you.

My favorite dive op in Cozumel is Blue XTSea Divers. They are not "close to the ship", but if the timing is right, they will pick you up. http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

In Grand Cayman, you can easily walk to Eden Rocks Dive Center where the shore diving is very good or they will arrange boat dives. I don't know whether they do certification referrals, but you can contact them through their website at http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Does someone know of any dive operators that are close to where the boat docks where DH, who is certified already, and I can dive to complete my open water "check out" dives.

I am having trouble finding ones that are close to the dock that do this.

I am looking both in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I would like to do 2 dives at each port.

I am new to cruising and planning an excursion on my own is making me a little nervous but since DH is certified and I am not it's making it difficult to book through the ship unless he took the course again with me and then we'd only be diving in Cozumel not Grand Cayman.

Thank you.

I concur with Islandwoman on both ports, but really think you'd be better off completing your open water dives at home before you go on the cruise. I know that diving in less than perfect conditions for these dives doesn't sound appealing, but bad vis or other bad conditions during your check outs will actually make you a more confident diver when you get to the good stuff on your cruise. It will also make your diving with DH more enjoyable on the trip. If you opt for the open water dives on the cruise you will probably be separated from the dive group, so that you can do your skills tests for the instructor. http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

My 3 sons did their open water certification dives last year on a cruise. They did the first 3 dives (1 was a snorkel dive) at Eden Rock. Worked out just fine. Your local dive shop has to give you the appropriate paper work and you need to contact the shops in GC and Coz ahead of time to arrange it. Of course if you are certified before traveling you would enjoy the dives on the cruise much more as you would could just dive and not have to do all the skills work. Good luck!

We just returned from G.C. and did dives with Resort Sports. In another trip, we used Don Foster. I'd recommend both.

And if you go with Eden Rock, don't be fooled by the first place that calls itself "Eden Rock" which is a restaurant and small dive shop. Walk a 1/2 block further down the road away from the pier.

Happy cruising...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived