Wife pregnant/NCL requirements/Cancellation

nycjsw

most cruise insurance excludes pregnancy from coverage, although the complications of pregnancy may be. I am not sure whether "morning sickness" would be considered a complication.....

gut feeling it would not be but becasue a doctor advised her not to travel there may be a little exception there. I was a bit surprised, if moning sickness was the only problem he put restrictions on her travel. Regardless he did so the cruisers have little choice but to do what doc says.

Nita

"If we had it to do over again, we would have passed on that cruise. There was just too much to do that she couldn't do, she felt bad about it and I felt bad that she felt bad. I would say that if you decided to go, your experience would be "discounted" by more than the money you would loose if you cancelled."

Great post and wonderful logic! I really appreciated all the posts in this thread and thank you all for the input. Here is what I found out today - NCL was very kind and gave me all my money back and also gave me a free cruise on the ship of my choice once the little one is born. :eek: Ok, back to reality. I called multiple numbers. The reservation department told me to call some customer care number. I called customer care and they told me to call the reservation department. This was all after spending about 20 minutes with each department. But basically they said they would give me 50% back (as many here noted). It seems like I might be getting all of certain taxes and fees back because it really comes out to be a 57% refund.

There was also some debate to as how the refund worked. At first two people told me I would have to cancel my cruise with the reservaton department and then submit in writing an appeal for a refund. I found this very odd b/c it meant I could cancel my cruise, they could resell it and in the end I could get no money back???? The last person I spoke with (I got his name and ID #) stated if I cancel I get a credit back in 7 days. No appeal or anything is needed. So basically when all is done I would be out about $1,600. I have until 8 days before the cruise to do this with no further penalties.

Wondering why you ignored what I thought was pretty good advice from I think it was beachick and call latitudes first.

gut feeling it would not be but becasue a doctor advised her not to travel there may be a little exception there. I was a bit surprised, if moning sickness was the only problem he put restrictions on her travel. Regardless he did so the cruisers have little choice but to do what doc says.

Nita

I don't disagree...but there is a difference between told you can't go(even by a doctor) and it being covered.

Apparently you have never filed a claim before. You have to get the doctor to sign a statement when they were first aware of the illness. Secondly it ask for, "upon discovery was the person physically able to travel".

So now in order to beat the system, you will have to get the doctor to LIE. Plus the insurance company can request copies of the diagnosis/treatment. This will have the earlier date. CLAIM DENIED plus you could in trouble for filing a false claim and trying to defraud the insurance company.

Dave

I appologize for suggesting insurance fraud as a legitimate option here.

The good news is that the disucussion my suggestion generated with respect to the fact that its not the pregnancy thats at issue (as she will be less than 27 weekes), but fitness to travel. This leads me to this thought process:

OP's DW should get a second opinion regarding her fitness to travel. If they both still really want to go, this is a bonafide option that has been overlooked so far in this thread.

Now, before she gets the second opinion, he should buy the 3rd party insurance: "I normally don't buy insurance but DW is prego, she'll meet the lines requirements, at X number of weeks, but we're concerned she might not be fit to travel."

Maybe I missed something, but it does not look like her DR has declared her unfit for travel on that date, he has simply refused to call to call her fit for travel this far out.....

She can wait to get the opnion till the week B4 sailing. If she's fit, great, go have fun. If she's declared unfit, the insurance company should pay up.

Coming late to this (have been away for about 1 1/2 years, but will be trying for Alaska on the Star in May), but I guess I'm confused about the difficulty some folks have had in finding the FAQ's on the NCL website .... They are readily available at the bottom of pretty much all of NCL's web pages.... about four lines up from the bottom, usually the first clickable link.

Coming late to this (have been away for about 1 1/2 years, but will be trying for Alaska on the Star in May), but I guess I'm confused about the difficulty some folks have had in finding the FAQ's on the NCL website .... They are readily available at the bottom of pretty much all of NCL's web pages.... about four lines up from the bottom, usually the first clickable link.

Yes, funny about that. It wasn't there last week.

It has been there as long as I can remember. As a TA I send the link to many clients. Also to the OP. I have had to change clients sail dates very close to sailing, and was charged a small amount to change dates. Don't know if that was an option for you.

You are right. It was not there. I clearly remember the About Us link being the first link to the left at the bottom of the page. Maybe they were updating or something when we were looking. Well hopefully it is there to stay :)

It has been there as long as I can remember. As a TA I send the link to many clients.

It was not there last week. You don't have to believe that it wasn't there, but it wasn't there. The "site map" link was there, and I missed it, but the first link on that bar was "About Us," which I clicked to try to find the FAQs. The FAQ link was not there.

You are right. It was not there. I clearly remember the About Us link being the first link to the left at the bottom of the page. Maybe they were updating or something when we were looking. Well hopefully it is there to stay :)

Shew. If it had been there, we wouldn't have had to jockey info about "booked guests" or "site map." Thanks for the verification.

Jana

• 9 years later...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old post, but when I googled this topic, this was one of the first threads that popped up. So I wanted to share some information I just found so it can potentially help women in the future.

My situation is this - I had scheduled a NCL cruise but found out a week before the cruise date that I was ineligible to cruise due to being 29 weeks pregnant. I had no idea they had a 24 week limitation in their policy. I was obviously shocked. When I called customer service, they told me that I needed to cancel my reservation and that they were going to charge me a hefty cancellation fee. In light of there being NO information about this policy anywhere in the booking or registration process, I decided to fight that because I didn't know this before booking the cruise.

SO Here's the GOOD NEWS - Turns out, NCL should not charge a cancellation fee for this situation. The people I had originally talked to were wrong. Since NCL is the one denying me access to board, they will waive all fees, AND refund all money paid.

Here's what you need to do though: Call customer service and immediately ask to talk with the ACCESS DESK Department. The people in that department will work with you to get your money refunded. SUPER helpful.

They are also talking with management about changing their booking process so that there is clear information given about this 24 week limitation, before payment even takes place. Hope this helps people in the future!

• 3 weeks later...

I just happened to stumble upon this thread again. My daughter is now almost 9. Looking back I am so happy we didn't attempt to go on the cruise. The money was forgotten long ago. We did sail on NCL one more time since this situation. Now we sail with Disney. 😀