For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

What a beautiful picture. You wonder where the tired bird came from?

All I got on my balcony was spiders and cigarette ashes from neighbors. :o

I hope you are having a wonder Holiday and have a great New Years. ;)

Hi Alexis,

We had a wonderful Christmas with our family, including our 3 grand-children. Hope yours was as nice. :)

What a fabulous picture! He even posed for you

Robyn, it took me a half hour to coach the bird to pose just right... turn your head a little, not too much, a bit more to the right, etc... but got a great shot. ;):rolleyes::D

Gerry

Hi Alexis,

We had a wonderful Christmas with our family, including our 3 grand-children. Hope yours was as nice. :)

Robyn, it took me a half hour to coach the bird to pose just right... turn your head a little, not too much, a bit more to the right, etc... but got a great shot. ;):rolleyes::D

Gerry

Gerry - I have yet to see a bird on my balcony on all my cruises...oh well, at least I know it's possible! :)

Hi Alexis,

Gerry

Christmas was wonderful thank you. You both have a wonderful New Years too.

Maybe we will sail again on the same ship some day and actually run into each other more often.

I will at least "see" you on the boards. ;)

Too funny about posing the bird. All I could think of was look at the long flight he, or she, had back to land. :eek: Silly bird should have stayed in Dominica.

Maybe we will sail again on the same ship some day and actually run into each other more often.

Too funny about posing the bird. All I could think of was look at the long flight he, or she, had back to land. :eek: Silly bird should have stayed in Dominica.

Yes Alexis (Pat), hope to sail again with you, and spend more time with the two of you. Join us on one of the cruises listed below. ;) We are very ambitious at this point. We are in good health, and have the time available to be away. :D

We met a bird enthousiast yesterday and told him about the bird. This is what he wrote back to me after receiving the photo and looking into it: "The bird in the picture is, indeed, a falcon - most likely an immature peregrine falcon. I am unable to tell you the exact subspecies (or race) to which is belongs - there are several. The peregrine has the reputation of being the fastest bird in the sky, stooping at prey at 200 miles/hr."

So Pat, it wouldn't have taken long for the bird to get back to Dominica, it it's there he (or she) wanted to go. :D

Gerry

Yes Alexis (Pat), hope to sail again with you, and spend more time with the two of you. Join us on one of the cruises listed below. ;) We are very ambitious at this point. We are in good health, and have the time available to be away. :D

We met a bird enthousiast yesterday and told him about the bird. This is what he wrote back to me after receiving the photo and looking into it: "The bird in the picture is, indeed, a falcon - most likely an immature peregrine falcon. I am unable to tell you the exact subspecies (or race) to which is belongs - there are several. The peregrine has the reputation of being the fastest bird in the sky, stooping at prey at 200 miles/hr."

So Pat, it wouldn't have taken long for the bird to get back to Dominica, it it's there he (or she) wanted to go. :D

Gerry

I am fascinated by that Falcon.

I believe I wrote on the Roll Call that my Mother was born in Nova Scotia, Canada to parents of Scottish ancestry. Well, my Mothers maiden name was Falconer. ( keeper of the Falcons )

So I have always had an interest in seeing them when a picture or story pops up. ;)

I am fascinated by that Falcon.

I believe I wrote on the Roll Call that my Mother was born in Nova Scotia, Canada to parents of Scottish ancestry. Well, my Mothers maiden name was Falconer. ( keeper of the Falcons )

So I have always had an interest in seeing them when a picture or story pops up. ;)

Alexis - I was born and raised in Nova Scotia too! :)

Even though we cruised AOS a few years ago on our honeymoon, I completely agree with CKRobin. Our cruise on AOS was one of our favorites. It is a lovely ship. The ship was no more out of control than any other we've been on. As I remember, it was fairly quiet and uneventful. As for the dual language announcements, I would much rather they have them than have a tradgedy occur because someone didn't receive the information.

My Mom was from the Stellarton area of NS. When she as a very young child, the family came across from Halifax by boat, (I believe through Ellis Island) and settled on Long Island, NY. :)

She remained on Long Island all her life until almost 90..

My Mom was from the Stellarton area of NS. When she as a very young child, the family came across from Halifax by boat, (I believe through Ellis Island) and settled on Long Island, NY. :)

She remained on Long Island all her life until almost 90..

I know where Stellarton is :D Very nice area.

NY is a far cry from the sleepy towns of Nova Scotia!

I was born in Halifax and raised on the South Shore. Living in NB now so still in the Maritimes.

Gerry - I love the bird pic you posted. Anytime I have tried taking a pic of a bird they always fly away.

I was born in Halifax and raised on the South Shore. Living in NB now so still in the Maritimes.

Gerry - I love the bird pic you posted. Anytime I have tried taking a pic of a bird they always fly away.

Nice to hear of all the connections to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick here on Cruise Critic. :) Other than being away at university, I have lived all my life in New Brunswick. The only time we wished we were somewhere else is during the cold days of winter. :eek: But it makes us appreciate the summer more, and the time away in the south during the winter. :D

Re. the bird... it was amazing how the bird was determined to stay there on our balcony. Even by opening the balcony door a few feet from the bird, it would not go away. It stayed there at least a half hour.

Gerry

I know it's not a guarantee which side the ship docks at each port but we like to be on the side that is against the dock. We are on the Aruba route and wonder what you have experienced as far as docking.

We were on a b2b last month, and on the Aruba route, the best side to get the dock view is the port side. Alexis will surely be able to confirm this. ;)

Gerry

We were on a b2b last month, and on the Aruba route, the best side to get the dock view is the port side. Alexis will surely be able to confirm this. ;)

Gerry

Yes, Aruba the Port side was the dock.

We were on the Starboard Hump side and always got another ship when one was in port or a water view.

We were always accustomed to facing the land side of a dock or a view on all other cruises. Not this cruise. :o

We did face the dock on St. Lucia and maybe one or two of other Ports in the two weeks, but we mostly faced others ships or water. :rolleyes:

I would check out what the area looked like from the Windjammer to see where we were. :D

Yes, Aruba the Port side was the dock.

We were on the Starboard Hump side and always got another ship when one was in port or a water view.

We were always accustomed to facing the land side of a dock or a view on all other cruises. Not this cruise. :o

We did face the dock on St. Lucia and maybe one or two of other Ports in the two weeks, but we mostly faced others ships or water. :rolleyes:

I would check out what the area looked like from the Windjammer to see where we were. :D

Thanks for confirming Alexis.

By the way I like your Henry avatar. We saw the Henry vacuum cleaner in the hallway several times on AOS. Every time I wanted to take a photo, but didn't have the camera with me, and of course didn't bother returning to take the photo. I remember people talking about Henry on the board, but had not recalled seeing him until the last cruise. So there is a Fan Club for Henry? :)

Gerry

Nice to hear of all the connections to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick here on Cruise Critic. :) Other than being away at university, I have lived all my life in New Brunswick. The only time we wished we were somewhere else is during the cold days of winter. :eek: But it makes us appreciate the summer more, and the time away in the south during the winter. :D

Re. the bird... it was amazing how the bird was determined to stay there on our balcony. Even by opening the balcony door a few feet from the bird, it would not go away. It stayed there at least a half hour.

Gerry

Gerry - I left Halifax, NS to go to Ontario for University......sadly, I never went back home :( But on the flip side, I met my husband here :D My folks moved up to Toronto after my daughter was born, so the only one left in NS is my brother! Still love the pace of the Maritimes.....and the friendlieness of the people who live there!

Gerry - I left Halifax, NS to go to Ontario for University......sadly, I never went back home :( But on the flip side, I met my husband here :D My folks moved up to Toronto after my daughter was born, so the only one left in NS is my brother! Still love the pace of the Maritimes.....and the friendlieness of the people who live there!

I left NB to go study at Laval University in Quebec City and U of T. I met my wife at Laval University - she was also from NB, but I didn't know her then. We both came back to NB after our studies. :D The lesson here is that you have to go away to meet your future spouse. ;)

Gerry

I left NB to go study at Laval University in Quebec City and U of T. I met my wife at Laval University - she was also from NB, but I didn't know her then. We both came back to NB after our studies. :D The lesson here is that you have to go away to meet your future spouse. ;)

Gerry

Hahahhaha! I think you're right!!!! :p

I have friends in Fredericton....a.k.a Freddy Beach

Hahahhaha! I think you're right!!!! :p

I have friends in Fredericton....a.k.a Freddy Beach

I know we're taking away from the purpose of this AOS thread, but I must ask who you know in Fredericton. We have been residents of Fredericton for about 40 years. ;) Sorry to hijack this thread... :o

Gerry

I know we're taking away from the purpose of this AOS thread, but I must ask who you know in Fredericton. We have been residents of Fredericton for about 40 years. ;) Sorry to hijack this thread... :o

Gerry

There is no hijacking going on here.....just some friendly geography!!!!:)

Thanks for confirming Alexis.

By the way I like your Henry avatar. We saw the Henry vacuum cleaner in the hallway several times on AOS. Every time I wanted to take a photo, but didn't have the camera with me, and of course didn't bother returning to take the photo. I remember people talking about Henry on the board, but had not recalled seeing him until the last cruise. So there is a Fan Club for Henry? :)

Gerry

This is the one that started Henry's Club. ;) We just say we are a member and that is it.

And of course when you see him on a ship, you must stop and say "Hi" to him. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php? t=382773&highlight=you+know+who+henry

And if you go here there are a lot of threads on Henry.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=15197983

Hi Alexis,

Did you do any private tours that you would recommend?

If so, lets talk.

Suzanne

Hi Alexis,

Did you do any private tours that you would recommend?

If so, lets talk.

Suzanne

NO, my husband and I have toured all of those islands many times over the years, so we just walked the towns and shopped. It gave us the much needed exercise from sitting around the ship so much.

The only new island to us was Dominica and we just walked off of the ship and shopped right there by the dock.

Wish I could help you, but even our two Roll Calls are not active now to get answers.

Maybe someone on here from the Roll Calls will see your question and help you.

A lot of people did do tours. ;)

Can anyone who was on our two AOS cruises help

CC SUZCRUZ with tours? :D

I booked a few excursions this morning, but I am stuck on what to do in St. Croix.....

We would like to do a beach day, but the only one offered through RCI is a beach resort for $95pp.

For anyone who has been to St. Croix recently on the AOS - and if you went to the beach, where did you go and how did you get there?

I always worry about going somewhere not on an RCI excursion and possibly not getting back to the ship in time!! :eek:

We rented a car from Hertz which is straight across from the pier. Drove first to Christianstad and then to Cane Bay. Returned to the pier in plenty of time to walk around the port area. It was a nice day. Beach was a little crowded. DH went snorkeling but did not swim all the way to the wall.

Archived