For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Twaincruisers, Sorry to hear about your problems on your cruise. We will be on AOS in aug and hope for better luck. Do you remember your waiter's name? Do you talk to anyone about the problems when on board or leave comments on the comment card? Hopefully they will then do something about the waiter. We have never had an abusive waiter, just not very efficent or friendly. We also had a non-existant steward on Pride of Hawaii. My DD slept on the couch because the bed was not made up and we had to steal TP from the public restroom. The one good thing about anytime dining is that if you don't like a waiter you ask for a different section the next day.

roe2ship yes in San Juan your bags have to go through USDA screening for plants and fruits if you leave your ship luggage tags on you avoid this line because cruise line does this for you at port and your bag tags are proof that it was done if you remove the color coded luggage tag from the bag at the port you will need to go to the USDA screening post at the SJU airport before the airlines will accept your bag

Yes. They screen it on the ship and your tag proves it. If you take the tags off they don't know that it was pre-screened.

I wish we had known ahead of time, last year. Would have saved some embarassment.:o

I never knew this........we have not sailed out of SJ yet. Thanks to you both!:)

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

My only complaint in this vein is that I was very disappointed in the Disco on the Adventure out of San Juan - they advertised things like 70's night and 80's night - yet, when you got down there (and I went down there multiple times each night to see if it had changed because I have really enjoyed going to the Vault on the Navigator and the Voyager) it was the same heavy latin beat music and the same almost totally latin crowd in the disco. It was a shame because it was one of the things I likes most about that class of ship (2x on Voyager, once on Navigator).

Lou

We just booked the AOS for Aug. 3. We were on her about 5 years ago and we loved it so much, we're doing it again. We had a wonderful Puerto Rican couple as our table mates. We had much ruder people on our Alaska cruise than the PRs on Southern Caribbean!!

What's the weather like in August? Hotter than June?? We have always gone the first or second week in June; thought we'd give August a try.

Any good recommendations for an inexpensive hotel? We'll being staying one night early and won't be spending much time there.

Rondo

What's the weather like in August? Hotter than June?? We have always gone the first or second week in June; thought we'd give August a try.

Any good recommendations for an inexpensive hotel? We'll being staying one night early and won't be spending much time there.

Rondo

We were in San Juan early Sept and it was blistering hot!!! I would imagine not much difference in August.

We are sailing out of San Juan in May....not too far away:D

I sometimes wonder about the folks on this website. Maybe it is just me, or do a lot of the posters seem like bigots?

I recall a lot of the threads concerning Jamaica and some of the other 'non American' ports that are very negative. But hey, maybe that's just the way I see it. Or maybe it is that 'ugly American' thing.

DH and I love this ship...Sailed on our honeymoon in Feb 2004. Bringing DS and her hubby who have also sailed Adventure before. Going Sept 14th for DS 40th Birthday. Already starting the workouts so I will look good and eat what I want. Not too many in the roll call though... sign up if you haven't already!

We just booked the AOS for Aug. 3. We were on her about 5 years ago and we loved it so much, we're doing it again. We had a wonderful Puerto Rican couple as our table mates. We had much ruder people on our Alaska cruise than the PRs on Southern Caribbean!!

Rondo

We are cruising AOS for the first time in July and staying at Comfort Inn the night before.

Anyone know about what time we can expect to get off the ship in St Thomas after immergration? We'd like to be able to catch the 9AM ferry from Red Hook. How was immergration handled. Any tips on how to make it less painful. We are diamond did they do anything different for diamond and platnum. Thanks

I sometimes wonder about the folks on this website. Maybe it is just me, or do a lot of the posters seem like bigots?

I recall a lot of the threads concerning Jamaica and some of the other 'non American' ports that are very negative. But hey, maybe that's just the way I see it. Or maybe it is that 'ugly American' thing.

Yes, some do seem to be. Fortunately, I think they are a very small minority of posters here.

Anyone know about what time we can expect to get off the ship in St Thomas after immergration? We'd like to be able to catch the 9AM ferry from Red Hook. How was immergration handled. Any tips on how to make it less painful. We are diamond did they do anything different for diamond and platnum. Thanks

On Voyager last year, they had anybody who was trying to get off the ship ASAP meet in the theater, and then they marched us down to the dining room to go through immigration first thing. We were off the ship within minutes, and there was a bus waiting just outside to take people to Red Hook. We made the 9AM ferry with several minutes to spare. Since they do that routine pretty much every day, they know when they need to leave the port in order to make it to the ferry on time.

txskier,

Thanks for the tempature warning for August. I guess we'll have to do lots of water excursions. :) Enjoy your May weather cruise!

jjtt,

I will look up info on the Comfort Inn. Thanks.

Rondo

txskier,

Thanks for the tempature warning for August. I guess we'll have to do lots of water excursions. :) Enjoy your May weather cruise!

jjtt,

I will look up info on the Comfort Inn. Thanks.

Rondo

Rondo,

Your welcome and enjoy your cruise.

jjtt

We were on AOS 3 years ago and loved it! Only 25% of us spoke English because it was a cruise right before all the schools let out for the Christmas holidays. I can tell you the crowd was more polite on the AOS cruise than on a Christmas cruise on Disney, that we went on 5 years before that. The ship was full of large family groups who had a blast together, never rude. We ended up falling in love with Puerto Rico, and have returned twice since then. I will add I'm not crazy about the airport in San Juan, but hey nothings perfect.

OK......Where is Robyn? Shouldn't she be back by now? Does anyone remember if she was extending her vacation past the B2B? We're anxiously waiting to see how the AOS is faring these days!

Hi Guys,

I was travelling with Robyn and family. Due to the storms, she had a very hard time getting home. Her flight to Montreal was delayed by 5 hours and she missed her connecting flight to Toronto. They finally found a hotel at 2 a.m. only to have the fire alarms go off at 4 a.m. and again at 5 a.m.

They finally got a flight out to Toronto yesterday afternoon. As you can imagine, she was totally exhausted by the time she got home.

I'm sure she will get on here soon and give you all the lowdown you have been anxiously waiting for.

For my part, I must tell you that even though my BFF Robyn is the AOS cheerleader, I too was a little aprehensive after reading all of the negative info on these boards. Well....let me just say that my DH, 3 kids and I, had a fabulous week on the AOS. We had very little, if any, interaction with any locals. In fact, if they didn't open their mouths to speak spanish, I wouldn't have know who they were. I would sail AOS again in a heartbeat.:D

Thanks, Shar, for that info! We have never had any problems from any sailing from San Juan and I am not the least bit worried about any of that. Glad you had a good time. Sorry Robyn had such a hard time getting home! Maybe she will check in soon.

Hi everyone :)

I am finally home! As Shar27 stated, we were stuck in Montreal due to the snowstorm and didn't make it home until yesterday afternoon!

I know many of you are looking forward to a review.......but as I mentioned before, I am not going to write one :o However....I would be only too pleased to answer any and all questions you may have about the AOS :D

In case you didn't already notice, I have 2 more cruises (B2B) booked on the AOS for 2009!!!

What can I say? The AOS is an outstanding ship and I look forward to answering your questions and talking about my favorite RCI ship!!!

So' date=' [b']Robyn[/b]......come back and chat!

I'm here and buried under a mountain of paperwork in the office :eek:

If you have questions - ask away and I will be happy to share my experiences :)

Little tid bit of info......disregard what it says on your docs about boarding at 2pm. Both weeks they opened the terminal doors at 11:40 a.m ;)

I know many of you are looking forward to a review.......but as I mentioned before, I am not going to write one :o

:( :o :eek:

ok...Let me get some questions ready...

How does the ship look?

Where did you stay precruise?

What did you do in St. Martin?

Was there really a shortage of beer?

I think that's all for now. Thanks!

Archived